I glued my mouse clicker with superglue.

bfnk

19 May 2013, 22:40

Hello guys. I have a razer naga and as some of you may know, tapping a little bit of glue on the clicker plastic is the way to fix the little deformation caused by making contact with the micro switch for a long time. I've done this a few times, but this time I fucked up big time. I accidentally dropped a few extra drops of glue and now the clicker is glued to the plastic modules surrounding it (all of this takes place on the underside of the upper mouse panel, not the top side). I read about a few possible suggestions such as using vinegar, alcohol, freezing the object, using WD-40, using acetone (which I don't plan to do), and using hot water. Do you guys have any suggestions regarding how to solve this demonic issue?

Thanks in advance.

Also hi everyone, first post. :)

bfnk

20 May 2013, 18:52

Hello again. No one answered but I finally made some progress! If someone happens to have a similar issue - this was my 'combo':

1. In case you spill a drop accidentally, IMMEDIATELY run to the bathroom and put hot water on it for a while, making sure nothing gets stuck. I did not do that but it would have solved my problem right there.
2. Place the object in a glass of strong vinegar, then strong alcohol after a few hours. I used Rakia (Bulgarian home-made drink). It seemed to help a lot.
3. Freeze the object for the night, then try to push the glued parts apart, being very careful not to break something. You can begin with a carpet knife, as those are the thinnest I could come up with and the sharpest as well. Do not rush it.
4. If this actually happens to your mouse - try to disassemble it as much as possible, leaving only the glued part(s) to work with. In my case I had to separate the upper mouse panel into two parts, that were glued together (clicker plastic glued around the plastic around it). I eventually managed to separate them, using a needle to pin out the little parts of glue that were stuck in small spaces between the plastic parts. This works after the glue has been damaged as much as possible via freezing and dipping in alcohol/vinegar.
5. Eventually, if possible, use something to sharpen the surface so that it is flat as it used to be before being glued.

Muirium
µ

20 May 2013, 19:28

Yeah, there's some sense to the American name for it: crazy glue!

Return to “Mice & other input devices”