Geekhack updates: WE ARE BACK

webwit
Wild Duck

02 Jul 2012, 01:19

mkawa wrote:Please keep in mind that we are guests on webwit's forum. Again, this is his forum and we must obey his rules. Please do so graciously.
Small correction: this is not my forum, and I don't make the rules alone. A bunch of guys has founded it and is running it, and that fluctuates depending on who is active and willing to contribute to admin stuff. It has been deliberately set up as a community site not owned by some guy alone.

mkawa

02 Jul 2012, 02:22

fixed. thanks webwit

didja

02 Jul 2012, 04:02

I still picture ww in a datahand chair with one toe hovering over a hall effect instaban switch.

The_Ed
Asperger's... SQUIRREL!

02 Jul 2012, 04:08

I notice that his duck avatar constantly changes. How many has it been I wonder?

I hope iTrader is preserved. I had racked up a +8 on it.

DanGWanG

02 Jul 2012, 04:11

The_Ed wrote:I notice that his duck avatar constantly changes. How many has it been I wonder?

65+ for me :/

MagicMeatball

02 Jul 2012, 04:13

mkawa wrote:gone for good.
That really sucks. I had 27 itrader ratings. I hope we can salvage it.

didja

02 Jul 2012, 04:17

It's like the final scene of fight club. Everyone starts from zero.

thegunner100

02 Jul 2012, 04:36

+28 for me, and more than 1/2 of it was feedback as a seller ;(

postlapsaetia

02 Jul 2012, 04:52

Yeah, I had a couple a bunch of good ratings. Sucks, but what can we do?

DanGWanG

02 Jul 2012, 06:52

Sell more!

mkawa

02 Jul 2012, 16:23

we are a tight-knit community. for example, when dan vouches for someone, i know they're legit. i don't think we'll have any trouble recovering our reputations ;)

sth
2 girls 1 cuprubber

02 Jul 2012, 19:57

8-) so much for customs!

tsangan

02 Jul 2012, 20:01

The_Ed wrote:I notice that his duck avatar constantly changes. How many has it been I wonder?

DanGWanG wrote: 65+ for me :/
MagicMeatball wrote:
That really sucks. I had 27 itrader ratings. I hope we can salvage it.
thegunner100 wrote:+28 for me, and more than 1/2 of it was feedback as a seller ;(
I had +126 itrader ratings, so no one should complain ;)

AKIMbO

02 Jul 2012, 20:12

All the itrader ratings are gone. Son of a.....I had a fair amount.

riffraff

03 Jul 2012, 06:19

AKIMbO wrote:All the itrader ratings are gone. Son of a.....I had a fair amount.
But you still have that sweet avatar. In the end who doesn't want to trade with that old time nicholas cage.

DanGWanG

03 Jul 2012, 07:56

tsangan wrote:I had +126 itrader ratings, so no one should complain ;)
Mine were all from personal sales though! No group buys :)

The_Ed
Asperger's... SQUIRREL!

03 Jul 2012, 08:03

DanGWanG wrote:
tsangan wrote:I had +126 itrader ratings, so no one should complain ;)
Mine were all from personal sales though! No group buys :)
GB feedback is skewing. I had +8 but that was only the people who actually took the time to give me feedback. Otherwise I'd have more, but now there is nothing but R00TW0RM...

mkawa

03 Jul 2012, 17:21

added link to the template effort thread: http://deskthority.net/geekhacker-refug ... t3099.html

AKIMbO

04 Jul 2012, 00:53

riffraff wrote:
AKIMbO wrote:All the itrader ratings are gone. Son of a.....I had a fair amount.
But you still have that sweet avatar. In the end who doesn't want to trade with that old time nicholas cage.
Precisely :lol:

TexasFlood

04 Jul 2012, 01:21

Did he get along with old time John Travolta?
OldTimeTravolta.jpg
OldTimeTravolta.jpg (9.02 KiB) Viewed 15143 times

Zergreth

04 Jul 2012, 10:52

First off, thank you webwit!

I registered here just to jump into the discussion, mostly the forum software aspect. May I suggest PHPBB instead of SMF? Especially since you're asking for a template, and SMF's templates are plain horrible. It's not that I hate SMF, especially not as a user, but I've learned in the past that maintaining it can be a real pain.

dotancohen

04 Jul 2012, 14:20

ripster wrote:From Facebook:
Larry Herzog Jr. The entire geekhack environment and supporting hardware is in the process of being rebuilt. Security will be the top design requirement. vBulletin is out. We are going to build this bullet proof (or as close as possible). SIGNIFICANT McAfee and Intel resources will be brought to the table as well.
McAfee? Is that thing running on a Windows server? That would explain a lot. Seriously, I would not run a webserver on anything other that RHEL or CentOS today. I use a Debian-derived distro at home, and I actually encouraged the wife to use Windows 7 when she wanted Kubuntu on her laptop, but for a webserver? WTF?

mkawa

04 Jul 2012, 17:15

yes, we're going to run the new server platform on windows 3.11 over freedos 8 :/ ***

***(of course i'm being facetious; please trust that we have a non-zero idea of what we're doing here)

sth
2 girls 1 cuprubber

04 Jul 2012, 20:23

dotancohen wrote:
ripster wrote:From Facebook:
Larry Herzog Jr. The entire geekhack environment and supporting hardware is in the process of being rebuilt. Security will be the top design requirement. vBulletin is out. We are going to build this bullet proof (or as close as possible). SIGNIFICANT McAfee and Intel resources will be brought to the table as well.
McAfee? Is that thing running on a Windows server? That would explain a lot. Seriously, I would not run a webserver on anything other that RHEL or CentOS today. I use a Debian-derived distro at home, and I actually encouraged the wife to use Windows 7 when she wanted Kubuntu on her laptop, but for a webserver? WTF?
I dislike windows as much as the next person but it seems to work for millions of webservers just fine.

TexasFlood

04 Jul 2012, 20:34

sth wrote:
dotancohen wrote:McAfee? Is that thing running on a Windows server? That would explain a lot. Seriously, I would not run a webserver on anything other that RHEL or CentOS today. I use a Debian-derived distro at home, and I actually encouraged the wife to use Windows 7 when she wanted Kubuntu on her laptop, but for a webserver? WTF?
I dislike windows as much as the next person but it seems to work for millions of webservers just fine.
True, and FYI Mcafee has quite a variety of products, not all for Windows, including McAfee VirusScan Enterprise for Linux and Unix.

metafour

04 Jul 2012, 20:56

mkawa wrote:yes, we're going to run the new server platform on windows 3.11 over freedos 8 :/ ***

***(of course i'm being facetious; please trust that we have a non-zero idea of what we're doing here)
This does not inspire much confidence as this can still be a negative value since you just restricted it to being non-zero. ;)

TexasFlood

04 Jul 2012, 21:03

Good catch, I missed that, mkawa should have used non-zero natural numbers, :D

mkawa

04 Jul 2012, 21:38

new ideas are always a positive thing ;)

Zehkul

05 Jul 2012, 22:47

So, you still don’t display a message to tell folks what’s going on? Geekhack will lose many members that way. Not everyone knows DT, and not everyone will check the domain once every few weeks. They will just give up on Geekhack.

ripster

06 Jul 2012, 00:18

?

You no like GoDaddy.com?

Is that a Pedobear site?

Daaaamn, I think I just won a Camaro!

Rofl - just got changed back to previous landing site...

Mkawa, is this REALLY happening on July 7th like you previously said????

Return to “Geekhacker refugee camp”