Geekhack updates: WE ARE BACK

rknize

13 Jul 2012, 21:17

If anyone would like their GB status posted on the current GH parking page, please LMK.

IvanIvanovich

14 Jul 2012, 02:01

Hey people calm down, GH will be back when it is, until then:

didja

14 Jul 2012, 05:15

Don't be pissed at juser123 for registering to gripe - the guy bought a keyboard 7 months ago and if I was him I'd be pissed too. Some of you are closer to the situation and have been aware of it, others haven't. He's just blowing off steam.

Mkawa, there's definitely profit in that $10k which is fine. But, If you're going to charge retail/street prices you need to have the items in hand or close to it. If you want to do a pre-manufacturing buy like this one that's gone on for 7 months you should be doing it for very little profit because the buyers are taking on the risk and burden of the delays with you.

Hopefully it will all come together soon and everyone will type happily ever after. I have first hand experience with international manufacturing and imports and had more than one occasion where they tried to screw me. I had to get creative but managed to get ahead of them and made out ok each time. I hope that's the outcome for you guys and whoretex.

mkawa

14 Jul 2012, 18:25

we have a very loose definition of "profit" here. costs involved in proxying product are not only product, shipping and shipping materials, but time and energy invested. many of the best gb leaders on our forum (meaning gh) are professionals who are paid large amounts per hour of productive, non-keyboard related work. please remember this.

harrison

14 Jul 2012, 18:28

anyone who has half a brain knows this isn't a money making endevor, and iMav made it more than clear he was loosing money on geekhack long before it went down. that's why i started up the donation thread.
juser123 wrote:After all that nonsense, the site goes down and you guys do nothing to get in contact with us; no e-mail goes out, nothing.
doing any sort of business, non-profit/charity or otherwise... is all about setting and meeting expectations. yes, it's clear that vortex has done an awesome job of completely fucking over any possible way that iMav could ever meet any sort of reasonable expectation. however, there's still been no email. having not informed all the participants of his groupbuys (there's many people out there NOT on this forum btw) that the site's going to be down for a few more days/weeks with no commitment for go-live, but that the product has arrived or is being processed would have likely mitigated juser123's outcry of frustration.

again... all it would (and still could) take is 10-15min to put an email together.

just saying.

Input Nirvana

14 Jul 2012, 21:26

It's a shame that GH became a primary target for some groups of talented hackers. It's caused a fair amount of pain for quite a few people, which blows. Too bad iMav didn't have the crystal ball to know these jerkoffs were going to f up the site and cost a lot of time, money and heartache. Thats why it's called a learning experience. What's Impirtant now is how it's handled to resolution. It seems this entire problem was not prepared for and is resulting in a complete restructuring, which is obviously needed. So I suppose a fair amount of medium-long term good will come of this.

dorkvader

15 Jul 2012, 03:53

input nirvana wrote:It's a shame that GH became a primary target for some groups of talented hackers. It's caused a fair amount of pain for quite a few people, which blows. Too bad iMav didn't have the crystal ball to know these jerkoffs were going to f up the site and cost a lot of time, money and heartache. Thats why it's called a learning experience. What's Impirtant now is how it's handled to resolution. It seems this entire problem was not prepared for and is resulting in a complete restructuring, which is obviously needed. So I suppose a fair amount of medium-long term good will come of this.
Well said, indeed.

I just keep thinking how awesome it'll be once GH gets back up.

Ragnorock

15 Jul 2012, 04:28

rknize wrote:If anyone would like their GB status posted on the current GH parking page, please LMK.
If you could, I'd like it if you could post up that Red Alert is proceeding as planned with 0 delays, but there is still about $750 outstanding in my paypal account from people not having paid their invoices. Those people are:

M_Enanos
4en
Febriz
BababooeyHTJ
Fstop
Monja
WorldExclusive (Is not obligated to pay, tentatively cancelled his order before the deadline)
Abc12asd
Greg Dron
Mashingkeys
Useless_People
Changdrew

If GH was up we would have broken out the finger breaking crew long ago. You don't have to put all of that up on the main page but if you want to link to this post or just point them to DT if they need to contact me that would work. If any of the above don't pay by the time the keys get here, then their orders become mine again and the only way I'm letting those members buy them is at leftover prices ($80 per base set $40 per modifier set.) Again if you have paid and Paypal didn't count it, then please contact me.

Thanks,
Dave

dorkvader

15 Jul 2012, 23:23

I notice that GH has some GB info up on the website.

http://geekhack.org/
Group Buy Status

Vortex RACE
Keyboards have been received. Confirmation and shipping arrangement emails will be sent out early next week (starting 07-15).

Vortex DIY Poker
Order has been placed with Vortex. No ETA yet.

Other Geekhack Group Buys
You may be able to learn the latest status of other group buys in this thread.

rknize

16 Jul 2012, 07:09

Ragnorock wrote:
rknize wrote:If anyone would like their GB status posted on the current GH parking page, please LMK.
If you could, I'd like it if you could post up that Red Alert is proceeding as planned with 0 delays...
Done.

mkawa

16 Jul 2012, 11:56

we, the gh staff, are not affiliated with 7bit's gb, officially or otherwise. please contact him for order status.

net2522

16 Jul 2012, 12:13

How is geekhack site been doing?

YUIOP

16 Jul 2012, 14:29

It sounds like iMav will start shipping RACE soon. I pre-ordered one with MX Brown & white LED. If anyone getting MX Blues or Reds want to switch (preferably with white or green LED), let me know.

mkawa

16 Jul 2012, 17:31

we're working on recovering the old database right now. ie, things are humming along :)

rknize

16 Jul 2012, 17:35

Incognito: are you talking about a "Round 3" reproduction set from the round 4 group buy, or is he selling you a real set from the original round 3? For the latter, PM 7bit. For the former, see this thread:

http://deskthority.net/marketplace-f11/ ... t1376.html

Ragnorock

17 Jul 2012, 00:43

Ragnorock wrote: If you could, I'd like it if you could post up that Red Alert is proceeding as planned with 0 delays, but there is still about $750 outstanding in my paypal account from people not having paid their invoices. Those people are:

M_Enanos
4en
BababooeyHTJ
Fstop
Monja
WorldExclusive (Is not obligated to pay, tentatively cancelled his order before the deadline)
Abc12asd
Greg Dron
Mashingkeys
Useless_People
Changdrew

If GH was up we would have broken out the finger breaking crew long ago. You don't have to put all of that up on the main page but if you want to link to this post or just point them to DT if they need to contact me that would work. If any of the above don't pay by the time the keys get here, then their orders become mine again and the only way I'm letting those members buy them is at leftover prices ($80 per base set $40 per modifier set, $30 for a 104 kit.) Again if you have paid and Paypal didn't count it, then please contact me.

Thanks,
Dave
rknize wrote:
Done.
Thanks bro, also to everyone who was interested in taking over for one of the above's orders, I can't give you their prices since it would be a conflict of interest with the leftovers I have already started selling. I can't sell keyset X for group buy price and keyset Y for leftover price just because one of the sets isn't paid for- it wouldn't be fair to those buying leftovers.

(Btw Febriz just paid, thanks!)

Hopefully that makes sense, if anyone is interested in them, shoot me a PM. Also you can expect these to resell for a lot more than I'm selling them at within 6 months once the new supply cools down. This will probably be the last doubleshot RA set anyone runs for a couple of years at least.

Dave out.

demik

17 Jul 2012, 01:29

why don't you let the people that have already purchased at the marked up prices buy at the group buy prices (you know, refund them the difference) and w/e is left over you sell at your marked up price?

pretty sure you'll get rid of those deadbeat orders a lot faster.
This will probably be the last doubleshot RA set anyone runs for a couple of years at least.
why? did somebody copyright it?

jcrouse

17 Jul 2012, 02:24

mkawa wrote:many of the best gb leaders on our forum (meaning gh) are professionals who are paid large amounts per hour of productive, non-keyboard related work. please remember this.
Well said mkawa. Having grown up in manufacturing i can tell you that an hours worth on mill time or molding time is WAY more than most would guess. I say that thinking of someone like Treble318 and his aluminum Poker cases. Imagine trying to squeeze in a run when you can use the machine for daily work and bill a couple of hundred dollars an hour.

eth0s

17 Jul 2012, 03:18

Hey, if you guys are not going to use "Geekhack.org" anymore, will you sell me the name? I'm serious, so PM me with an offer/ demand.

demik

17 Jul 2012, 04:21

the name is still being used

Ragnorock

17 Jul 2012, 04:56

demik wrote:why don't you let the people that have already purchased at the marked up prices buy at the group buy prices (you know, refund them the difference) and w/e is left over you sell at your marked up price?

pretty sure you'll get rid of those deadbeat orders a lot faster.
This will probably be the last doubleshot RA set anyone runs for a couple of years at least.
why? did somebody copyright it?
Because there probably won't be enough interest in a 3rd run of the same set for a while. Like, whenever GH gets back up I'm starting a new group buy for a similar keyset in PBT, but you or someone similar said that interest in "yet another SP WYSE doubleshot set" was waning, and if anything the demand for RA has been satisfied for now. I know I'm at least not going to do this exact same run anytime soon. Someone else is entitled to obviously.

MagicMeatball

17 Jul 2012, 05:05

Can you run a set like this next, Rag? With the new Cherry legends:

Ragnorock

17 Jul 2012, 05:09

MagicMeatball wrote:Can you run a set like this next, Rag? With the new Cherry legends:

I'm doing a blue on white set, red on white set, and purple on white set all in PBT but instead of grey mods there's going to be something else. :evilgeek:

Since its PBT we can do full custom legends with no additional cost. It'll probably end up Helvetica though.

MagicMeatball

17 Jul 2012, 05:16

Ragnorock wrote:It'll probably end up Helvetica though.
:(

dorkvader

17 Jul 2012, 05:21

What we really need in a Dvorak PBT set, in any colour. I'd take comic sans if I had to.

Elrick

17 Jul 2012, 06:31

Ragnorock wrote: I'm doing a blue on white set, red on white set, and purple on white set all in PBT but instead of grey mods there's going to be something else. :evilgeek:

Since its PBT we can do full custom legends with no additional cost. It'll probably end up Helvetica though.

Very nice......please let us all know when it starts. Even if Geekhack never happens (God forbids), then how about running it here? :?:

I don't care when the next Group Buy happens or where, ............just as long as it happens. :!: :!: :!:

I'm use to using this place now, so iMav can go on a belated world trip and recover from all this crap that was heaped onto him. Take a nice long 12 month sabbatical. ;)
Last edited by Elrick on 17 Jul 2012, 12:05, edited 1 time in total.

sth
2 girls 1 cuprubber

17 Jul 2012, 06:33

Rag, why not some colors that haven't been done a million times? Maybe different colored caps instead of white?

thegunner100

17 Jul 2012, 06:42

HELVETICA FTW! Though i wouldnt mind futura :P

eth0s

17 Jul 2012, 07:31

demik wrote:the name is still being used
It is? Where?

mkawa

17 Jul 2012, 07:33

the new forum will continue residing at geekhack.org and will be called geekhack

Return to “Geekhacker refugee camp”