geekhack hacked again!?

ripster

30 Jun 2012, 00:15

I have one piece of advice to the Geekhack Moderators.

See that power plug? Remove it from the wall outlet before you harm more people.

R00TW0RM

Expiration Date: 2012-08-18 00:47:23
Last edited by ripster on 30 Jun 2012, 00:30, edited 1 time in total.

Ragnorock

30 Jun 2012, 00:24

Just wanted to pop in and mention that I do have all of the data from my running group buys backed up and safe while the transition is going on. If you sent me a message the day it went down I might not have gotten it but we'll see. I guess starting the next ones will have to wait a bit though. :/

Also I still have 15 unpaid invoices, don't think I've forgotten! Lol.

Glad to hear most of everything was saved, I don't keep a backup of the order thread's OPs so I'd have to recreate them from scratch and that would suck!

Is there a place we can coordinate getting a new theme put together? I want to help work on it but don't want to do work that has already been done. I'm not bad with gfx.

Dave out

ripster

30 Jun 2012, 00:29

Hey Rag, the appropriate thread is here.

http://deskthority.net/off-topic-f10/gr ... t3003.html

And keep the theme Black and Orange please.

longweight
key-bored

30 Jun 2012, 00:34

I would love a colour coded system for threads that have been read / have new posts etc.

webwit
Wild Duck

30 Jun 2012, 00:39

Migrating to other forum software as an emergency solution instead of parallel development until it's ready. Hmm, I dunno, often these things end in tears - or to be more accurate, it will proof harder and take longer than anticipated, things and functionality will be missing if it does get up, and so on. I hope not for the gh crowd. They seem to be displaced and disoriented. Or maybe that's just ripster. Or maybe we need a gh mourning wall.

Should have patched exploit and run vbb until ready to switch, or import db into new forum software with standard skin, then start developing it.

Soarer

30 Jun 2012, 00:46

Ragnorock wrote:Is there a place we can coordinate getting a new theme put together? I want to help work on it but don't want to do work that has already been done. I'm not bad with gfx.
I'm terrible with gfx, not my forté at all!

ADK Halloween looks like a good starting point for a dark theme.

7bit

30 Jun 2012, 00:47

webwit wrote:Migrating to other forum software as an emergency solution instead of parallel development until it's ready. Hmm, I dunno, often these things end in tears - or to be more accurate, it will proof harder and take longer than anticipated, things and functionality will be missing if it does get up, and so on. I hope not for the gh crowd. They seem to be displaced and disoriented. Or maybe that's just ripster. Or maybe we need a gh mourning wall.
In theory it should be possible to feed all posts into the new system, but maybe a google snap-shot is sufficient to get the info needed for a keyboard which is not yet in the wiki.

To be serious: Making the old GeekHack a read-only database and set up something new might work better...

webwit
Wild Duck

30 Jun 2012, 00:53

7bit wrote:Making the old GeekHack a read-only database and set up something new might work better...
The DT founders already did that! :evilgeek:

ripster

30 Jun 2012, 00:55

webwit wrote: Or maybe that's just ripster. Or maybe we need a gh mourning wall.
Or just a emo keyboard:

http://fashion-music-life.tumblr.com/po ... yboard-lol

7bit

30 Jun 2012, 00:56

Now I understand better.

Running both parallel for more than a year and then let the old one go ...
:-)

ripster

30 Jun 2012, 00:57

webwit wrote:
7bit wrote:Making the old GeekHack a read-only database and set up something new might work better...
The DT founders already did that! :evilgeek:

Well, iMav already made the Wikis read only.

Oddest wiki concept I've EVER seen.

If this was a business you'd simply fire the Site Admin, Provide a Year of free Credit Reports, Issue a Press Release apologizing, and move on...

7bit

30 Jun 2012, 01:00

Just got a message starting with these lines:
I am sorry to hear about GeekHack's sudden (?) demise - any particular reason?

Will there be any kind of 'official' statement as to how and why GeekHack was terminated?
:lol:

Maybe I should have chosen my words a bit better:
because there is no GeekHack anymore, please register at Deskthority.org with the same user ...
:shock:
Last edited by 7bit on 30 Jun 2012, 01:02, edited 2 times in total.

ripster

30 Jun 2012, 01:01

Was it signed R00TW0RM?

7bit

30 Jun 2012, 01:03

No, just a Round 4 customer who thinks that GeekHack has been closed down forever.
:P

Soarer

30 Jun 2012, 01:04

So GH will be back when Round 4^H3 completes?
Last edited by Soarer on 30 Jun 2012, 01:06, edited 1 time in total.

ripster

30 Jun 2012, 01:06

Probably.

In true Geekhack fashion the 23 Moderators will spend 6 months arguing about what colors to use for the theme.

Q: How many Geekhacker Moderators does it take to unplug the Trojan infested server?

A: One, but they are arguing which is the right plug.

Input Nirvana

30 Jun 2012, 01:13

HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHHHAAA!!!

I don;t know whay I think that's so funny....comedy and tragedy go hand in hand.

Findecanor

30 Jun 2012, 01:14

Bah. Could the Geekhack site admin at least replace the front page with a notice that the site is down or something!?
Not all users there are users here, and could be lost forever.

7bit

30 Jun 2012, 01:16

Findecanor wrote:Bah. Could the Geekhack site admin at least replace the front page with a notice that the site is down or something!?
Not all users there are users here, and could be lost forever.
I would prefer a re-direct to my Round 4 thread, so the people are forced into the right direction.

:-)

ripster

30 Jun 2012, 01:16

Obviously R00TW0RM is iMav.

No possible other logical explanation for such a fuckup.

Perhaps it's a clever ploy to sell more McAfee Security SW?

<ah, the smell of burning bridges in the PM>

webwit
Wild Duck

30 Jun 2012, 01:20

Why are people worrying? This will go as quickly as the migration to mediawiki.

Quarzac

30 Jun 2012, 01:29

Just to throw it out there, mods on GH have few privileges exceeding that of the average user. We can close threads and delete posts. That's about it. Also, to the folk actively working on restoring GH, I have a good bit of experience in networking and computer hardware, although those are not in a work environment. I can also do some coding, though the only web language I've worked in is JS, I'm sure I can learn another without much trouble. Shoot me a message if there's something I can do.

TexasFlood

30 Jun 2012, 01:32

didja wrote:I'm gearing up for Breaking Bad's season premier next month.
I watched this a bit at the start but fell off the track and never really caught up. Now with marathons and a DVR I'm catching back up, and I blame, uh, have you to thank for it, :lol: So I'm there with you gearing up for the 15th...

Soarer

30 Jun 2012, 01:36

webwit wrote:.... I hope not for the gh crowd. They seem to be displaced and disoriented. Or maybe that's just ripster. Or maybe we need a gh mourning wall.
refugee_camp.png
refugee_camp.png (33.36 KiB) Viewed 12258 times

ripster

30 Jun 2012, 01:45

Quarzac wrote:Just to throw it out there, mods on GH have few privileges exceeding that of the average user. We can close threads and delete posts. That's about it. Also, to the folk actively working on restoring GH, I have a good bit of experience in networking and computer hardware, although those are not in a work environment. I can also do some coding, though the only web language I've worked in is JS, I'm sure I can learn another without much trouble. Shoot me a message if there's something I can do.
I found the Geekhack Moderators to be good at shouting, scolding via pms, randomly closing and/or moving threads, and especially good at using the delete button on year old posts. The last one is what got me in such trouble.

Otherwise it is iMav's show and don't you guys forget it!

But NOW we will see how they do under adversity.

Perhaps if you called the Janitor in the building and asked HIM to pull the power plug?
Last edited by ripster on 30 Jun 2012, 01:52, edited 2 times in total.

Input Nirvana

30 Jun 2012, 01:49

[quote="ripsterI found the Geekhack Moderators to be good at shouting, scolding via pms, randomly closing and/or moving threads, and especially good at using the delete button on year old posts. The last one is what got me in such trouble.

Otherwise it is iMav's show and don't you guys forget it![/quote]

You got spanked on the year old thread shenanigans?

ripster

30 Jun 2012, 01:51

R00TW0RM

Expiration Date: 2012-08-18 00:47:23

Perhaps if you called the Janitor in the building and asked HIM to pull the power plug?
Don't derail my train of thought.

I think this Janitor idea could work.

Anybody backtracked the IP address to a building yet? Reverse telephone directory. Ask for Building Maintence and say in a gruff voice "hey, this is Larry can you do me a favor and unplug something for me".

The server probably has a sticker that says iMav Security Never Sleeps on it.

ripster

30 Jun 2012, 02:51

Sigh...

http://Www.geekhack.org is up.

It took 148 ms for a 302 response with an ip of 65.111.241.205.

Go back to check another site.
Security never sleeps but seems to nap a lot....

Zzzzzzzz
Zzzzzzzz
zzzzzzz

didja

30 Jun 2012, 06:58

webwit wrote:
On the contrary, sales engineers are often the best technical people a company has... that are capable of talking to people.
Hahahahahaha. Nice try, mr Sales Engineer.

Actually, Sales is something I've never done other than when I was self employed and I did not enjoy it. I manage a rock star network operations team.

youstolemyusername

30 Jun 2012, 07:03

mkawa wrote:we're leaving vB behind entirely. the new platform will be the uber modern (and significantly more secure) SMF 2. it has most if not all the modern features one would want, is easy to extend, and still supports tapatalk ootb
Hi Mkawa,

May I ask that if any username or passwords were hacked? I am curious. Either way hacked or not, I will continue to change passwords. I recommend others to use different passwords for every site you register on.

We are on your side against the evil forces.

Return to “Geekhacker refugee camp”