Had my geekhack account deleted

acfrazier
Mad Scientist

18 Mar 2012, 07:46

With all of the recent... "penetration" if you will, I finally bit the bullet and told iMav to pull the plug.

inb4 I can't believe you made a thread for this etc etc

ripster

18 Mar 2012, 07:53

Who penetrated you?

ripster

10 May 2012, 15:02

Anyhoo I just use my iPad mostly these days.

Seems to piss off a lot of the moderators there.

mintberryminuscrunch

10 May 2012, 15:07

And you still didn't figure out the edit function

ripster

10 May 2012, 15:13

I found it hilarious mods running around editing my TapaTalk sig out.

Here Webwit just turned it off.

Daniel Beaver

10 May 2012, 16:23

ripster wrote:I found it hilarious mods running around editing my TapaTalk sig out.

Here Webwit just turned it off.
Those TapaTalk sigs are spammy and annoying. How is webwit filtering those?

(And I must be the only one who doesn't find Geekhack's moderation onerous)
Last edited by Daniel Beaver on 10 May 2012, 16:28, edited 1 time in total.

webwit
Wild Duck

10 May 2012, 16:25

It is a tapatalk setting. Any site can turn off tapatalk sigs.

ripster

10 May 2012, 16:28

I know that. What I find strange is iMav knows that too.

Charlie_Brown_MX

10 May 2012, 16:29

acfrazier wrote:With all of the recent... "penetration" if you will, I finally bit the bullet and told iMav to pull the plug.
How did you do it? I tried through the feedback form, but never heard back and my account appears still to be active.

ripster

10 May 2012, 16:30

You publicly announce it in offtopic Subforum so we can all ridicule you.

Didn't work so well for Woody. Everybody just ignored his.

Anyhoo erasing all your posts leads to entire threads disappearing if you were the OP. Creates a real mess.

Ask Webwit.

webwit
Wild Duck

10 May 2012, 16:44

I never erased any posts. iMav just didn't like my pictures.

What I find strange is that geekhack makes full backups and what I find hilarious is that they are throwing a flash drive at it. The whole world has been backing up for decades to slow devices. Rsnapshot, bitches. So you don't need 3 days for your cycle.

ripster

10 May 2012, 16:53

I'm not technical. I just post real content. This makes me unqualified to be a good Moderator.

What you guys need is an iPad app to leech my Ripster Guides. Text is easy. Images I'm not technical enough to figure out.

webwit
Wild Duck

10 May 2012, 17:12

Here rsnapshot makes an incremental backup each four hours, and saves snapshots for 6 backups each day, 7 of the last week, 4 weekly of the last month, and monthly backups going back quite far. And all the diskspace it needs is just over the size on one full backup of the current state (using hard links).
So when it kicks in every four hours, it only backups the new or changed files. Most data will be all the attachments. We backup over the Internet (to my machine at the other side of the Atlantic), it only takes a minute. Geekhack, however, is trying to move the entire history of attachments in what are now apparently 3 day cycles. The solution is not to throw an expensive flash drive at it. Also they shouldn't put the database backup in that cycle. A couple of years of people posting simple text messages is not a size problem. That kind of data should back up in minutes.

off

10 May 2012, 17:13

ripster wrote:erasing all your posts leads to entire threads disappearing if you were the OP. Creates a real mess.

ripster

10 May 2012, 17:23

See what I was saying about how rare real content is on the internet these days?

Charlie_Brown_MX

10 May 2012, 17:26

webwit wrote:What I find strange is that geekhack makes full backups and what I find hilarious is that they are throwing a flash drive at it. The whole world has been backing up for decades to slow devices. Rsnapshot, bitches. So you don't need 3 days for your cycle.
As always, the problem is between the keyboard and the chair. Fancy new technology might make things faster, but faster ≠ better. Setting it up to do it right is usually really hard work, so most people skip that step and instead look for an easy, lazy way of doing it, which appears to be the case here.

ripster

10 May 2012, 17:28

Well, that's ONE way to get your account deleted.

Charlie_Brown_MX

10 May 2012, 17:39

ripster wrote:Well, that's ONE way to get your account deleted.
So you recommend going over to Geekhack and insulting iMav’s technical knowledge to get myself deleted?

ripster

10 May 2012, 17:48

Well.....

You could also try insulting Linux servers.
Hey, SGI keyboard in Jurassic Park? I think it's the rubber dome one, not a SGI Granite.

Although I'm not technical and have no idea what the GH server looks like I DO know those movie scenes are FAKE!

Not enough Unix Beards.

off

10 May 2012, 20:08

ripster wrote:See what I was saying about how rare real content is on the internet these days?

woody
Count Troller

10 May 2012, 21:39

ripster wrote:You publicly announce it in offtopic Subforum so we can all ridicule you.

Didn't work so well for Woody. Everybody just ignored his.
Unsuccessful troll is unsuccessful. Now just retardedretired.
Generation П.

ripster

10 May 2012, 22:18

Pi looks best in Franklin Gothic.

Edit: Times Roman.

http://deskthority.net/off-topic-f10/wh ... t2926.html
Last edited by ripster on 30 Jun 2012, 15:04, edited 2 times in total.

Charlie_Brown_MX

10 May 2012, 22:56

ripster wrote:Not enough Unix Beards.
Unix beards are grey. Always. Anything other than grey is, at best, a Unix beard in training. Much like my own, though it is beginning to show the first sprouts of wisdom.

Return to “Geekhacker refugee camp”