Geekhack updates: WE ARE BACK

mickd

17 Jul 2012, 07:35

eth0s wrote:
demik wrote:the name is still being used
It is? Where?
Even now you can visit geekhack.org for site updates!

justcallmecrash

17 Jul 2012, 16:07

dorkvader wrote:What we really need in a Dvorak PBT set, in any colour. I'd take comic sans if I had to.
I second that motion... my solution so far has just been to get blank sets.

Ragnorock

18 Jul 2012, 02:23

sth wrote:Rag, why not some colors that haven't been done a million times? Maybe different colored caps instead of white?
Dye subs on white come out much better if you're doing more colorful and complicated designs. That is why this set in particular is on white. :evilgeek: I'm certainly open to doing other color combos if possible, hit me up with suggestions if you want. Even if they'd need to be doubleshot (you can't do certain things with dyesubs) I'll do it if there is the interest.

sth
2 girls 1 cuprubber

18 Jul 2012, 04:11

Yeah, I'm aware of the darker-color limitations with dyesubbing, but even black on other colors is something that doesnt seem too common for a whole PBT set.

Other ideas... different font (dyesub means we can pretty much do anything and it will cost the same, no?), black on dark-grey + blue like RF 10th anniv. colors :)
Last edited by sth on 18 Jul 2012, 04:45, edited 1 time in total.

megnin

18 Jul 2012, 04:22

Is this feasable?

demik

18 Jul 2012, 05:16

lets hope not

sth
2 girls 1 cuprubber

18 Jul 2012, 05:23

demik wrote:lets hope not
:lol:

megnin, GL getting a custom set of dyesubbed topre keys. by that I mean, it's really not feasible, since nobody has access to the molds. I'd like some of those eye/mouth only keys though.
Last edited by sth on 18 Jul 2012, 05:26, edited 1 time in total.

MagicMeatball

18 Jul 2012, 05:24

LOL - you mean, bro :P

thegunner100

18 Jul 2012, 05:26

I'm with you megnin, i'd totally buy that xD

Ragnorock

18 Jul 2012, 05:52

Without quoting the appropriate posts above, my thoughts are:

@Sth: I'd totally be down to do a RF 10th anniversary scheme, I thought those looked sick and I'm pretty sure a lot of others do to. I really want to do other fonts, but its really difficult to please everyone, and a lot of the guys on GH are purists who want nothing but clean standard fonts. I appreciate that too, but things like the D3 keyset are an awesome way to break tradition and one of the reasons why its going to be super successful.

@Megnin: Yes, and I absolutely want to try one, its just going to be one hell of a battle deciding on an image that everyone wants. I first saw that sort of design over at WASD browsing through their user customized keyboards and I'd love to find one that everyone likes. I was thinking a MGS themed keyset with a macro image as a part of it.

@Demik: Not everyone wants what you want. Really man, it feels like you naysay everything different. Jus sayin', don't take it the wrong way, its just how I've been feeling lately.

demik

18 Jul 2012, 06:00

dont really care.

it was only meant as a joke. even though it does look terrible. maybe imto's full keycap dye sub could pull it off. but as it stands? ugly.
Last edited by demik on 18 Jul 2012, 06:11, edited 1 time in total.

sth
2 girls 1 cuprubber

18 Jul 2012, 06:07

It might fly on a chiclet board with more surface area per key.
I think it's an interesting concept but ultimately is not very tasteful.

Ragnorock

18 Jul 2012, 06:40

The key is that it has to be the right kind of image. I agree that most/all of those aren't ones I would want on my keyboard, but the concept is something I like. It needs something that isn't really strong and loud. Like you can see from some of those images what a workable image needs. I've been working on finding the right one but it's pretty tough obviously.

By the way if you guys have some of those keyboard templates or could tell me where you guys get them to pshop, I'll work on some mockups of my own. I'm not talking about the HHKB image above, the ones like this:

I'm looking for one like that but without the stupid arrow keys and just all black and white or white on black. I'm too lazy to make my own and I know its somewhere.

sth
2 girls 1 cuprubber

18 Jul 2012, 07:06

WASDkeyboards.com has them in their customizer applet. PM Hazeluff if you can't find em, he has templates as well.

mkawa

18 Jul 2012, 08:33

i'm thinking of turning the miami GB into an 80s retro themed tkl set in which the key legends form a picture like in megnin's hhkb mockups. input on what this could be is welcome. MOQ will be 75 @ about 110 per set using SP.

megnin

18 Jul 2012, 11:52

sth wrote:
:lol:

megnin, GL getting a custom set of dyesubbed topre keys. by that I mean, it's really not feasible, since nobody has access to the molds. I'd like some of those eye/mouth only keys though.
I should have done it on an MX board. Or I should have asked, "Is this feasable on Cherry MX keycaps?" ;) I know getting anything in Topre other than what EK sells is impossible.

mkawa

18 Jul 2012, 15:11

it's possible, but MOQ is 75 and cost is 110 per set. also, there is a bounding box for each key that has to be respected, so the image can't quite be contiguous.

rknize

18 Jul 2012, 20:25

*whistle*

sth
2 girls 1 cuprubber

18 Jul 2012, 22:32

you sure?

Vax

18 Jul 2012, 22:45

Geekhack is online!

Input Nirvana

18 Jul 2012, 22:54

I just tried, but get a 504 error code.
Meh.

The_Ed
Asperger's... SQUIRREL!

18 Jul 2012, 22:57

I think it was a joke...

Acanthophis

18 Jul 2012, 22:57

http://isitup.org/geekhack.org
Just was up, now down.

The_Ed
Asperger's... SQUIRREL!

18 Jul 2012, 22:58

You pullin' my tits?

Acanthophis

18 Jul 2012, 23:01

I ain't.
I was in the middle of changing my password when it went down...

webwit
Wild Duck

18 Jul 2012, 23:02

You broke it!

The_Ed
Asperger's... SQUIRREL!

18 Jul 2012, 23:03

F5 strikes again!

webwit
Wild Duck

18 Jul 2012, 23:04

Stevie Wonder did the design.

TexasFlood

18 Jul 2012, 23:05

The turtle is poking it's head out and withdrawing, it's out at the moment for me though.
GeekhackBack.png
GeekhackBack.png (172.06 KiB) Viewed 14620 times

The_Ed
Asperger's... SQUIRREL!

18 Jul 2012, 23:07

It doesn't like my password... And after supposedly sending an email to reset it (twice) none have shown up in my email...

Return to “Geekhacker refugee camp”