Damn, nice Ascaii art.

Code: Select all

_______  _______   __          _______                 
_______ \   _  \ \   _  \_/  |___  _  _\   _  \_______  _____  
\_  __ \/  /_\  \/  /_\  \   __\ \/ \/ /  /_\  \_  __ \/     \ 
 |  | \/\  \_/   \  \_/   \  |  \     /\  \_/   \  | \/  Y Y  \
 |__|    \_____  /\_____  /__|   \/\_/  \_____  /__|  |__|_|  /
               \/       \/                    \/            \/
Last edited by ripster on 10 Jul 2012, 18:58, edited 2 times in total.

rknize

10 Jul 2012, 04:30

Thanks, sifo. Pretty much confirms what we saw. Buh Bye vb4.

I'm left to wonder if they even know that it's just a keyboard enthusiasts forum.

MagicMeatball

10 Jul 2012, 04:38

rknize wrote:Thanks, sifo. Pretty much confirms what we saw. Buh Bye vb4.

I'm left to wonder if they even know that it's just a keyboard enthusiasts forum.
I bet they thought it was a hacker group, and that they totally haxxored them.

:lol:

didja

10 Jul 2012, 04:52

Geekhacked.

dorkvader

10 Jul 2012, 05:00

rknize wrote:Thanks, sifo. Pretty much confirms what we saw. Buh Bye vb4.

When GH gets back up, I imagine they will "try again". It will be a reasonably good security test of the system, I imagine.

I forgot who asked about 'why it's taking so long', but from my perspective, it's not taking that long at all to get GH back up. It takes a lot of man-hours to put forth a properly-planned and executed website/forum, and we don't have that many men or hours. People are giving up lots of their time to make sure this is done, and properly. I was actually pretty surprised with what was accomplished, and in what amount of time.

mkawa

10 Jul 2012, 06:25

if it's not already obvious, we won't be up again early this week. look to next week for a live forum.

please keep in mind we all have full-time jobs, and we are re-architecting from the ground up to give ourselves better guarantees on both security and performance.

again, we have to limit disclosure to some extent, but this includes significant upgrades to both hardware and software. when i saw we've rethought everything from the ground up, we mean it. further, this has cost imav some very real time and money, and we're not done yet. we will be launching a number of cool novelty keys as a fundraising drive (and as a "re-birthday bash") once we relaunch to help cover these costs.

thanks for your patience folks.

Lin TaobaoAgent

10 Jul 2012, 07:22

I do not need the keycaps, so where can I donate? :)

The_Beast

10 Jul 2012, 07:24

I might be able to whip up a specialty wood wrist rest to auction off for GH.

I make no promises but I'll try ;)

ripster

10 Jul 2012, 09:38

ok, ok...

I'll stop asking for my $60 in donations to be refunded despite being permabanned.

Last edited by ripster on 10 Jul 2012, 18:59, edited 1 time in total.

quake4mhger

10 Jul 2012, 11:18

Anything we can help? I guess it might be my chance to get a geekhack email ;)

aggiejy

10 Jul 2012, 18:54

mkawa: I don't understand why you guys don't take a few minutes to put up a static landing page. Is there a reason not to?

TexasFlood

10 Jul 2012, 18:58

aggiejy wrote:mkawa: I don't understand why you guys don't take a few minutes to put up a static landing page. Is there a reason not to?
I'd have to agree as those who haven't been able to keep up with geekhack news on deskthority, facebook or reddit, probably have no idea what's going on and best case think geekhack is gone, worst case might follow some of the links on the existing page and get confused or maybe get into trouble. I wasn't going to pile on with all the work I'm sure that must be going on but as this stretches out, perhaps it's more important?

ripster

10 Jul 2012, 19:19

I let them know on Reddit it will be up any day now.

silat

10 Jul 2012, 21:15

MagicMeatball wrote:
silat wrote:
Now that is 2 things we agree on.
1. Politics
2. the time the site has been down
Are you contributing anything to help it go back up faster? If not, I really don't see how you can complain about it.
I asked a question. I did not complain. Why are you misreading posts and then getting defensive?
And yes I have contributed money. There is not really anything else I can do.

MagicMeatball

10 Jul 2012, 21:19

silat wrote:
MagicMeatball wrote:
silat wrote:
Now that is 2 things we agree on.
1. Politics
Are you contributing anything to help it go back up faster? If not, I really don't see how you can complain about it.
I asked a question. I did not complain. Why are you misreading posts and then getting defensive?
And yes I have contributed money. There is not really anything else I can do.
I am glad you don't consider your complaining to not be complaining. Carry on.

silat

11 Jul 2012, 03:26

MagicMeatball wrote: I am glad you don't consider your complaining to not be complaining. Carry on.

Do you need to be schooled on what a complaint is versus a question?
I will be glad to post the definitions and then explain them to you if you are having issues.
Carry on...

MagicMeatball

11 Jul 2012, 03:42

silat wrote:I have a very simple question.
Why is it taking so long to get the site back online?
Not even Y2K caused a delay like this.
How about a reasonable explanation to those who have supported the site for years?
silat wrote: Now that is 2 things we agree on.
1. Politics
Sounds like complaining to me. Maybe you have multiple personalities, and this personality I am speaking with forgot what the other personality said.

sth
2 girls 1 cuprubber

11 Jul 2012, 03:48

hush, puppies.

GH1391401

11 Jul 2012, 04:06

Last edited by GH1391401 on 11 Jul 2012, 04:12, edited 1 time in total.

TexasFlood

11 Jul 2012, 04:06

Billions and billions of dollars were spent on Y2K so weren't many problems. Not that there weren't ANY. Produce Palace, an upscale grocery store in Warren, Mich., for example, had severe issues. When they tried to process a customer's credit card, the cash register crashed. The grocery store says it bought a system that couldn't process credit cards that expired on, or after, the year 2000. The system was down 150 of the first 500 days that it was online.
GH1391401 wrote:edit: weeee
http://geekhack.org/
YAY! Well done...

aggiejy

11 Jul 2012, 06:18

GH1391401 wrote:edit: weeee
http://geekhack.org/
THANKS! Much better. Just about every new person to IRC though tit was gone forever. This is much better. :)

Zehkul

11 Jul 2012, 09:38

And just about 2 weeks late.

MagicMeatball

11 Jul 2012, 09:55

Zehkul wrote:And just about 2 weeks late.

silat

11 Jul 2012, 10:05

MagicMeatball wrote:
silat wrote:I have a very simple question.
Why is it taking so long to get the site back online?
Not even Y2K caused a delay like this.
How about a reasonable explanation to those who have supported the site for years?
silat wrote: Now that is 2 things we agree on.
1. Politics
Sounds like complaining to me. Maybe you have multiple personalities, and this personality I am speaking with forgot what the other personality said.
LOL the second quote was for Ripster. So try to keep up.
OK youngster Im giving up. You are so very defensive about GH and I do not want you to hurt yourself. Now please do not cry when anyone else asks about the downtime.

harrison

11 Jul 2012, 15:29

I appreciate that GeekHack no longer looks like it gotten caught on the side of road with it's pants around it's ankles... I personally think it's been somewhat inexcusable that no outward communication has taken place to the user base outside of this forum though.
Agreed. This should have gone up the day it was decided that the forum was going to be rebuilt rather than restored. An email should have gone out to the active user base with a high-level status update.

So many users came to expect a level of transparency in the status and progress updates regarding the efforts being taken to buff the site after the various issues experienced over the past few months. I don't think that same level of transparency is appropriate now, but nothing isn't appropriate either.

I'd agree that we're not entitled to anything, regardless of the donations or involvement we had in the community... but nothing definitively doesn't do anything to keep the community together during this event either.

Looking forward to an update.

ripster

11 Jul 2012, 15:39

IMav sure never was that open when I was at Geekhack. I always assumed it was nothing personal and comes from working at McAfee/Intel.

MagicMeatball

11 Jul 2012, 16:33

silat wrote:
LOL the second quote was for Ripster. So try to keep up.
OK youngster Im giving up. You are so very defensive about GH and I do not want you to hurt yourself. Now please do not cry when anyone else asks about the downtime.
Try listening to yourself, kid. I haven't been defensive, just calling you out on your superior whining skills.

MagicMeatball

11 Jul 2012, 16:43

See, now Silat can take some lessons from Harrison on how to effectively get a point across without sounding like a whinebox. Constructive analysis of the situation. From my perspective, I imagine the people putting this back together have full-time jobs and families and other responsibilities that take a good portion of their time. So the work they put into this is purely from their passion for it. A few people have been slamming them for not repairing the situation to their personal satisfaction, and really, they have no business demanding anything.

I am quite certain they want the site up just as fast as you do, so be cool and let them do it.

Just my 2 cents.
harrison wrote:I appreciate that GeekHack no longer looks like it gotten caught on the side of road with it's pants around it's ankles... I personally think it's been somewhat inexcusable that no outward communication has taken place to the user base outside of this forum though.
Agreed. This should have gone up the day it was decided that the forum was going to be rebuilt rather than restored. An email should have gone out to the active user base with a high-level status update.

So many users came to expect a level of transparency in the status and progress updates regarding the efforts being taken to buff the site after the various issues experienced over the past few months. I don't think that same level of transparency is appropriate now, but nothing isn't appropriate either.

I'd agree that we're not entitled to anything, regardless of the donations or involvement we had in the community... but nothing definitively doesn't do anything to keep the community together during this event either.

Looking forward to an update.

ripster

11 Jul 2012, 17:05

I miss all the trolling at GH.

Silat not so much.

[/quote]

Charlie_Brown_MX

11 Jul 2012, 17:12

harrison wrote:I appreciate that GeekHack no longer looks like it gotten caught on the side of road with it's pants around it's ankles... I personally think it's been somewhat inexcusable that no outward communication has taken place to the user base outside of this forum though.
That’s a hilarious-but-accurate description of what happened.

Return to “Geekhacker refugee camp”