More views on new members

therecorder

07 Jul 2012, 14:14

Many valid points, but I'm still not certain of what is upsetting fossala, especially when I look at his profile:

Viewing profile - fossala

User statistics

Last visited:
Today, 08:55
Total posts:
930 | Search user’s posts
(1.53% of all posts / 2.76 posts per day)
Most active forum:
Marketplace
(495 Posts / 53.23% of user’s posts)
Most active topic:
Round 4 group buy going on here @ DT
(49 Posts / 5.27% of user’s posts)

nacho

07 Jul 2012, 14:28

Citizens of DT Republic, we are just refugees. When mkawa will tell us it's safe to go back, we'll leave. Probably not all of us.

kint

07 Jul 2012, 14:39

therecorder wrote:Many valid points, but I'm still not certain of what is upsetting fossala, especially when I look at his profile:...
These statistics are not uncommon for a DT member as a lot of discussion takes place in Marketplace threads, and the subforum is by ~factor 3 the most active subforum. That however doesn't mean the member does sell or even trade a lot.

ripster

07 Jul 2012, 14:47

nacho wrote:Citizens of DT Republic, we are just refugees. When mkawa will tell us it's safe to go back, we'll leave. Probably not all of us.
http://deskthority.net/geekhacker-refug ... tml#p61345

Please clean up the garbage, portatoilets, food wrappers, beer bottles and recycle when you can.
Last edited by ripster on 07 Jul 2012, 17:46, edited 1 time in total.

mkawa

07 Jul 2012, 14:55

so he doesn't want ghers to post in buy and sell? is that the deskthority rule he'd like us to follow? i'm not being facetious. if that's the case, i'm happy to tell people to do that. i'm sincerely thankful to webwit for giving us this little corner of the forum to use, and i don't want gh users running amok and turning this into an "us and them" situation. i'm certainly not being deliberately obtuse.

anyway, since that seems to be the consensus, i'll go ahead and add it to the FAQ OP.

ripster

07 Jul 2012, 14:58

Using words like obtuse leads to obtuseness.

And "explicated".
i'm not trying to excuse us from whatever behavior fossala has a problem with because it's not explicated (which is why i made clear that i would like de facto or best practice guidelines). what i'm trying to do is to get you to explicate your problem with gh users because we don't necessarily know what you are angry about.
De facto is cool. Bitches love Latin.

dirge

07 Jul 2012, 15:23

mkawa wrote:so he doesn't want ghers to post in buy and sell?
I think it was the lack of contribution from 'some' people. Most noticeably the use of the marketplace, selling items at inflated prices is something that does put people into two camps. Fossala has been quite clear in the past which camp he's in. I agree with him, greed eats away at the community spirit like cancer.

ripster

07 Jul 2012, 15:29

Self moderated since nobody likes whiny people.
Last edited by ripster on 07 Jul 2012, 18:10, edited 1 time in total.

mkawa

07 Jul 2012, 15:32

ok, no buying and selling outside the refugee camp (and minimal inside) seems like a pretty reasonable solution then.

AKIMbO

07 Jul 2012, 15:35

dirge wrote:
mkawa wrote:so he doesn't want ghers to post in buy and sell?
I think it was the lack of contribution from 'some' people. Most noticeably the use of the marketplace, selling items at inflated prices is something that does put people into two camps. Fossala has been quite clear in the past which camp he's in. I agree with him, greed eats away at the community spirit like cancer.
I was a member of DT before the whole GH refugee camp was created...albeit only a month or two before. I was a member of GH for much much longer. I completely agree with all the DT members who are upset. It's in bad taste to come to DT and only participate in the marketplace. At least give back to the community in some small way. Step outside the GH refugee camp and post in the Workshop subforum, Photos subforum, Keyboard subforum, etc.

baldgye

07 Jul 2012, 15:41

as someone who's a fairly new member to GH, the one reason I can see for this is that for the most part, GH and DT is a small group of people who know alot about keyboards etc and they use terminoligy thats not easy to follow if your just getting into it, so it takes time for new people to get adjusted and to work out what it is your chatting about for the most part.
Another thing is that to actually buy nice looking caps, you can only do that via GH/DT forums... the main trading places that most nubs look at don't really cut it or offer anything like what is out there.

But thats just my 2cents...

phetto
Elite

07 Jul 2012, 16:00

I'm one of those newbs, but how are we going to contribute when we are just that. I use this forum for inspiration and eye-orgasms.

Nah fossala you sank balls deep in my eyes by making this thread.

Oh wait I did contribute with some pics of a new board I got.
I barely got any comments, and those I got were about my gamerz mat.

I agree to a 100% with the former spokesman, how easy is it to even understand what you guys are talking about with your shorties. Especially when you are new, like I was a while ago (still don't understand what ripster is saying).
Last edited by phetto on 07 Jul 2012, 16:11, edited 1 time in total.

ripster

07 Jul 2012, 16:02

Link?

Edit:
http://deskthority.net/photos-videos-f8 ... t3173.html

Oops, sorry about the Lego OFFTOPIC...
Last edited by ripster on 07 Jul 2012, 17:36, edited 1 time in total.

emptythecache

07 Jul 2012, 17:16

dirge wrote:
emptythecache wrote:You guys are acting like someone is robbing you at gunpoint.
I don't understand the robbery analogy?
Someone making a FS thread isn't forcing you to do anything. you don't have to give them money. you don't even have to open their thread if you don't want to.
dirge wrote:
emptythecache wrote:fossala, and this one is crazy: if you don't like the geekhack refugees, get the fuck out of the geekhack refugee camp.
The Marketplace isn't part of the temporary geekhack forum.
yes, but this thread is. he came into out camp just to bitch about us.

dirge

07 Jul 2012, 17:32

I still don't get the gunpoint thing but I'll drop that.
emptythecache wrote:yes, but this thread is. he came into out camp just to bitch about us.
I don't understand why you're saying 'us'. I think his problem isn't with a group of people, just some of those people doing a specific thing. If you haven't been doing that why would you take offence?

kbdfr
The Tiproman

07 Jul 2012, 18:04

emptythecache wrote:
dirge wrote:
emptythecache wrote:You guys are acting like someone is robbing you at gunpoint.
I don't understand the robbery analogy?
Someone making a FS thread isn't forcing you to do anything. you don't have to give them money. you don't even have to open their thread if you don't want to.
dirge wrote:
emptythecache wrote:fossala, and this one is crazy: if you don't like the geekhack refugees, get the fuck out of the geekhack refugee camp.
The Marketplace isn't part of the temporary geekhack forum.
yes, but this thread is. he came into out camp just to bitch about us.
@emptythecache
Would you please try to behave?

I'd like to recall you what webwit wrote when he decided to give Geekhackers hospitality:
webwit wrote:[...] While we love to provide the poor, displaced refugees of geekhack a place to talk about geekhack related stuff, please do note that this is not geekhack, there is a different vibe to this place and many people don't care about excessive talk about other forums. I'm not sure what I'm trying to say except: try to find a balance, and try not to turn this place into a second geekhack.[...]
Do you always, just because you don't do it at home, refuse to wipe your feet when entering somebody else's house, and then insult them when they insist you do?

fossala
Elite +1

07 Jul 2012, 18:07

Wow, a lot can happen when I'm at work...
Anyway, what I'm sick off is that every morning I come to check whats been happening for the last few days I have to sift through so many WTB/FS/GB posts just to get to the other stuff.

To the guy who looked at the % of my posts in the market place, I contribute a lot. I also buy quite a bit. If you look at how many for sale threads I have, it is around 4.

There is no set off rules at DT that says don't spam the Classifieds thread, just it's not very polite to join a forum to just use as a trading place when that is not what the forum is about.

mkawa

07 Jul 2012, 18:08

fossala, i've asked our members not to use the marketplace. if you don't feel like this is enough pm me and we can talk about it offline. thanks folks. nothing else to see here.

fossala
Elite +1

07 Jul 2012, 18:11

mkawa wrote:fossala, i've asked our members not to use the marketplace. if you don't feel like this is enough pm me and we can talk about it offline. thanks folks. nothing else to see here.
Wasn't webwits plan to merge with off topic once GH was back up? That would mess some things up.

P.S. I think it is really up to webwit what happens in his forum, I'm just expressing my opinion.

webwit
Wild Duck

07 Jul 2012, 18:29

Still not my forum. Perhaps a majority of admin want to take out the fire hose and clear the camp! Or maybe not and they want to put the refugees to work at lowly jobs (such as moderating ripster), tax them, and put them under a curfew at night.

ripster

07 Jul 2012, 18:30

Lol. I'd DUCK that job if I were you.

TexasFlood

07 Jul 2012, 18:46

emptythecache wrote:Someone making a FS thread isn't forcing you to do anything. you don't have to give them money. you don't even have to open their thread if you don't want to.
I've seen a few posts along these lines and wasn't going to respond to them but have to agree that I don't see the problem of posting something for sale in a forum specifically for that. Nobody has to spend a cent or even read that post if they don't want to.

Maybe it's like an immigration dynamic. New immigrants and those who already live there typically don't relate well to each other. And once immigrants settle in, they sometimes to want to close the borders after them and consider the next immigrant as a disturbing influence upsetting their lives.

mkawa

07 Jul 2012, 18:49

webwit wrote:Still not my forum. Perhaps a majority of admin want to take out the fire hose and clear the camp! Or maybe not and they want to put the refugees to work at lowly jobs (such as moderating ripster), tax them, and put them under a curfew at night.
you know very well what our solution for moderating ripster is.

kalrykh

07 Jul 2012, 18:51

I think some people are forgetting, or are maybe just noobs who weren't around when it happened, but this place was a geekhack member spin off, due to some member and administration disagreements there. Talk shit all you want, but many of your senior members were once some of the most active contributors there. Don't hate on Americans for their nationalism and then turn around and display the same attitudes you're bitching about.

fossala
Elite +1

07 Jul 2012, 18:53

It isn't about nationality, have you even read the thread.

ripster

07 Jul 2012, 18:53

mkawa wrote:
webwit wrote:Still not my forum. Perhaps a majority of admin want to take out the fire hose and clear the camp! Or maybe not and they want to put the refugees to work at lowly jobs (such as moderating ripster), tax them, and put them under a curfew at night.
you know very well what our solution for moderating ripster is.
You? Hell, iMav was about to fire you as a mod!

Anyway I'd rather see you coding with your "reports". July 7 will soon pass and the 17 th approaches.
Last edited by ripster on 07 Jul 2012, 18:56, edited 1 time in total.

DanGWanG

07 Jul 2012, 18:55

webwit wrote:(such as moderating ripster)
This would be absolutely HILARIOUS.

Edit: Oh wait, nevermind, I thought you meant making ripster a moderator.

metafour

07 Jul 2012, 18:56

Here's an idea on how to get money for the forums. Let users pay to edit ripster's posts.

jdcarpe

07 Jul 2012, 18:59

I'd like to weigh in on this.

I'm one of those 90% that has new posts in the Marketplace. I posted two new FS threads yesterday, primarily because I need to sell some things I have acquired to replenish some funds. To be completely honest, I probably would have posted them only on GH, and not here on DT, had GH been up.

I have been a member here at DT for just as long as I have been a member at GH. I joined both forums within the same week, if not on the same day. I just post a lot more at GH, simply because I find that DT has more of a Euro-centric feel, to me. Maybe this isn't actually the case, but in my months as a member here, that is my take on this forum. GH is definitely US-centric. And consumer-based. I will readily admit, I have been a willing participant of the rampant consumerism that takes place on GH. So much so, in fact, that now I am forced to evaluate exactly how much money I have tied up in this "hobby." Hence the FS threads.

I don't consider myself a GH refugee, because I have been a member of both forums. I think both can coexist and I hope that the "refugees" here might actually read some posts other than ones in the Marketplace. But as has been pointed out, the Marketplace is by far the most active subforum here, by a factor of 3. So, please don't fault the "new" members if they are participating in what was already the most active subforum here.

I am very interested in seeing other peoples' posts regarding keyboard modifications, photos, etc. I tend to "lurk" those topics, rather than post there, since I am fairly new to all this, and I don't have a whole lot to contribute, yet. I like helping new members understand things that are sometimes confusing, and further obfuscated (hope I'm not being obtuse, using that word) by the technical jargon we use to talk about these topics. I hope to be able to contribute to the wiki's, both here and at GH, when I have something worthwhile to add.

So, in conclusion, please don't judge us all by the actions of one, or a few. I plan on staying a member of DT long after most of the "refugees" have migrated back to GH. And I don't like seeing such a rift between the members of two forums, whose interests are quite similar.

EOF.

dorkvader

07 Jul 2012, 19:06

One reason new members are doing a lot of buying and selling is that the classifieds and group buys part of Geekhack presents time-sensitive communication. When it went down, the first thing I thought of was going here to re-establish contact. It's natural to want to do this, and I see no problem in principle

I haven't viewed the marketplace forum more than a few times, and the only practical difficulty I see is increased traffic there. Perhaps I'm a bit skewed, but I don't see the trouble with posting more keyboard-related goods. If DT doesn't want more selection from a larger market, then I would encourage GH'ers to sell their items in this refugee camp.

Once my business interests were satisfied, I immediately went into the forum, looking for interesting keyboards, news, etc. I'm not in full swing yet, as I haven't gauged the community here, but I am trying to contribute, at least a little. For me, it's a bit of a "thank you" for accepting us. I can't speak for others, but my hope is that this is also the case for them. Once their business interests are no longer in danger, they can go back to being the helpful contributers they've always been.

Return to “Geekhacker refugee camp”