More views on new members

fossala
Elite +1

07 Jul 2012, 07:39

It seems like new members don't want to contribute, they just want to buy and sell things. Why don't you fuck off to a trading forum?

I wake up and check the new posts that have come in last night and at least 90% are buy/sell/gb posts, most being from new members.

MagicMeatball

07 Jul 2012, 07:44

Is the assumption that all new members are only from GH, hence only posting this in the GH forum? This may be better suited to a sticky in the marketplace. Just my 2 cents.

metafour

07 Jul 2012, 07:45

You gotta love the guy whose only posts are about selling or trading his Clacks. Think he's on the road to making a few hundred dollars off them all at this point. EPIC WIN!

fossala
Elite +1

07 Jul 2012, 07:48

MagicMeatball wrote:Is the assumption that all new members are only from GH, hence only posting this in the GH forum? This may be better suited to a sticky in the marketplace. Just my 2 cents.
I don't know everyone who is at GH since I quit a couple of months ago. But this all did start when GH went down.

MagicMeatball

07 Jul 2012, 07:53

fossala wrote: I don't know everyone who is at GH since I quit a couple of months ago. But this all did start when GH went down.
I think it's rather inescapable, simply from the influx of new users wanting to obtain things to 'fit in' their newly found hobby. There's no guarantee that the people that came here from GH will leave once GH goes back up. They may see it as a new place to create revenue for themselves. Granted, that wouldn't be the ideal situation. But how would you propose to keep it from becoming a gigantic garage sale in the marketplace?

I think I had 1 for sale post since I got here, and just bumped it infrequently. But I am not here just to sell things.

fossala
Elite +1

07 Jul 2012, 07:55

I have no problem with people buying or selling, I have had sale threads and I have a WTB thread atm. What I do have a problem with is people using it just as a marketplace and not contributing. It leaves it looking like a trading forum.

mkawa

07 Jul 2012, 07:58

what do you mean by contributing fossala? can you please cite the deskthority rule (de facto or otherwise) that we ghers can use as a guideline for our participation while we're here?

kbdfr
The Tiproman

07 Jul 2012, 08:10

MagicMeatball wrote:[...] There's no guarantee that the people that came here from GH will leave once GH goes back up. They may see it as a new place to create revenue for themselves. Granted, that wouldn't be the ideal situation. But how would you propose to keep it from becoming a gigantic garage sale in the marketplace? [...]
Well, perhaps ranting in sales threads might help :lol:
I guess the guy "whose only posts are about selling or trading his Clacks", like metafour said, won't come back.
Another solution would be to restrict posting in the marketplace to members with, say, 20 posts and/or 7 days membership.
But I'm not sure I would like a forum that has such rules.

MagicMeatball

07 Jul 2012, 08:13

kbdfr wrote: Well, perhaps ranting in sales threads might help :lol:
Oh don't worry, I can do that :D

demik

07 Jul 2012, 08:14

rather disappointed fossala didn't go ape shit in that thread.

kbdfr
The Tiproman

07 Jul 2012, 08:33

mkawa wrote:what do you mean by contributing fossala? can you please cite the deskthority rule (de facto or otherwise) that we ghers can use as a guideline for our participation while we're here?
That's the whole problem.
Most geekhackers don't get (and as a matter of fact are not interested at all in) the special vibes of deskthority.
Like tourists visiting a foreign country and not caring to inform themselves beforehand about the local way of life.

asdf

07 Jul 2012, 08:35

mkawa wrote:what do you mean by contributing fossala? can you please cite the deskthority rule (de facto or otherwise) that we ghers can use as a guideline for our participation while we're here?
You know full well what he's talking about. Don't ride it off like "it's not in the xyz rule so it must mean it doesn't apply" :roll:

MagicMeatball

07 Jul 2012, 08:39

Why are you guys being so hostile? I mean seriously, your shit doesn't stink? Get off the GH hate train. People are what they are, regardless of the country they are from. You aren't going to be able to control how someone acts, and lashing out at a specific group isn't going to change it. If you want to get a message across, like I said... sticky the Marketplace and let them know.

mkawa

07 Jul 2012, 08:39

no i really don't. i don't spend much time on DT, and on GH we're generally fine with people showing up only to sell stuff they've made or to buy a new keyboard after doing some investigation.

i'm not trying to excuse us from whatever behavior fossala has a problem with because it's not explicated (which is why i made clear that i would like de facto or best practice guidelines). what i'm trying to do is to get you to explicate your problem with gh users because we don't necessarily know what you are angry about.

ps, simmer down MM, please. they may and probably do have every right to be angry. this is their community. i would just like to know what they're angry about, so i can encourage people to stop doing it.

ripster

07 Jul 2012, 09:15

Can't we all get along? For the old people...and the kids?

http://deskthority.net/geekhacker-refug ... tml#p57355
Last edited by ripster on 07 Jul 2012, 09:18, edited 1 time in total.

MagicMeatball

07 Jul 2012, 09:18

mkawa wrote:ps, simmer down MM, please. they may and probably do have every right to be angry. this is their community. i would just like to know what they're angry about, so i can encourage people to stop doing it.
I am calm. It's just that every other thread seems to be about GH vs DT in some form or another. As Ripster said "Can't we all get along?"

demik

07 Jul 2012, 09:19

don't we have a thread for all this anti gh crying?

ah, here it is.

http://deskthority.net/geekhacker-refug ... t3150.html

join the circle jerk there.

ripster

07 Jul 2012, 09:21

Damn, I sure am consistent.

http://deskthority.net/geekhacker-refug ... tml#p59922
ripster wrote:My experience is both communities are FILLED with thin skinned people.

At Reddit we just Downvote them into Oblivion.

Man up people!
Anyway I think Fossala finds it a bit odd to login and find in forum spy maybe 100 posts about trading/selling/pimping little pieces of plastic and only one or two about keyboards.

At Geekhack I finally had to stop using iSpy and just clicked on the KEYBOARD Forum.

DanGWanG

07 Jul 2012, 10:00

demik wrote:rather disappointed fossala didn't go ape shit in that thread.
For once, I would have supported this

dirge

07 Jul 2012, 10:21

We're going through some pretty bad flooding in the UK at the moment, many are knee deep in shit in their own homes. Much like Deskthority at the moment :lol:

Actually glad I'm not at Silverstone this year, last year was wet but it must be terrible there now. However tomorrow a Scot has a chance of winning Wimbledon tomorrow, and the English are over the moon by this.

I guess everyone here will have their own idea on what constitutes contribution. I don't know as much as others around here so I help out in whatever way I can. but I do like seeing workshop entries and detailed views and pictures of rare boards.

I don't agree with a clear cut 'us and them' I think that's about the least healthy approach to this temporary situation. If you write it have a little sense that some will read it and think it's correct without looking for proof themselves. I don't think either communities want a lasting bitterness after the new site goes live.

That being said, fossala's right, take a look through the marketplace, when has a clack sale ever taken place on here? I guess it's a perfect storm if a clack sale happens during this downtime. People could have held off hawking their shite for two weeks.

I would be nice is all sales threads gave a 5% donation to Deskthority ;)

ripster

07 Jul 2012, 10:29

Well, I still think the best scalable Buying/Selling marketplace idea is this:
http://deskthority.net/off-topic-f10/wh ... t3112.html

kint

07 Jul 2012, 10:37

ripster wrote:...Anyway I think Fossala finds it a bit odd to login and find in forum spy maybe 100 posts about trading/selling/pimping little pieces of plastic and only one or two about keyboards....
This at least applies to me.
However it clearly is temporary, and fellow DT'ers have a little faith in your own administration that they won't let things slip out of hand and will restore the status quo once GH is back up again. :!:

emptythecache

07 Jul 2012, 12:07

You guys are acting like someone is robbing you at gunpoint. If you don't like how people are using the marketplace, don't go in the marketplace? If you want to buy something, but think the price is unfair, don't buy it. It's not rocket science.

OR, fossala, and this one is crazy: if you don't like the geekhack refugees, get the fuck out of the geekhack refugee camp.

GeorgeStorm

07 Jul 2012, 12:28

I think fossala has an issue with the fact that deskthority is letting you guys use this place (since they don't have to)
And you aren't attempting to add anything, merely gain from it.

(I'm not saying I think everyone is doing that)
This isn't your house so to speak, so you shouldn't act as though it is.

dirge

07 Jul 2012, 12:45

emptythecache wrote:You guys are acting like someone is robbing you at gunpoint.
I don't understand the robbery analogy?
emptythecache wrote:fossala, and this one is crazy: if you don't like the geekhack refugees, get the fuck out of the geekhack refugee camp.
The Marketplace isn't part of the temporary geekhack forum.

Soarer

07 Jul 2012, 12:53

Damn grockles!

Findecanor

07 Jul 2012, 13:16

I don't see any problem with adding a 20 posts / 45 days rule before a new member can post a new thread in the Marketplace.

GeorgeStorm

07 Jul 2012, 13:25

Nor do I, lots of forums do it, it's there to avoid new members just coming here to sell stuff and try to take advantage of the members, rather than actually contribute and become proper members themselves.

Charlie_Brown_MX

07 Jul 2012, 13:42

mkawa wrote:ps, simmer down MM, please. they may and probably do have every right to be angry. this is their community. i would just like to know what they're angry about, so i can encourage people to stop doing it
I think it’s pretty obvious what people are upset about; fossala even went as far as to make it perfectly, explicitly clear in the OP.  Being deliberately obtuse about it isn’t helping the situation and isn’t going to earn good feeling from the people whose community the GHers have invaded.
dirge wrote:That being said, fossala's right, take a look through the marketplace, when has a clack sale ever taken place on here?  I guess it's a perfect storm if a clack sale happens during this downtime.  People could have held off hawking their shite for two weeks.

I would be nice is all sales threads gave a 5% donation to Deskthority  ;)
It’s pretty clear looking through the FS on clacks that the people selling them really don’t give a fuck about the place or community they’re using to sell them — they really only care about maximising the amount of profit they make on selling them.  If they did care about the forum they use, Geekhack wouldn’t have become as bad as it was before it fell.  These people don’t care about community at all.
GeorgeStorm wrote:I think fossala has an issue with the fact that deskthority is letting you guys use this place (since they don't have to)
And you aren't attempting to add anything, merely gain from it.

(I'm not saying I think everyone is doing that)
This isn't your house so to speak, so you shouldn't act as though it is.
Bingo.  Post of the month..

kint

07 Jul 2012, 14:11

May I ask:
Where is the gain in constantly pointing this out as it occurs to me these points were already brought up the very first two days...? Apart from enlarging the gap between the communities of course that is.

Return to “Geekhacker refugee camp”