deskthority.net vs geekhack.org

litster

08 Oct 2011, 19:34

What is roundeyes? I like ribeye! This *is* a Japanese keyboard after all.

ripster

09 Oct 2011, 00:41

Same as "bignoses".

You haven't read Shogun?

webwit
Wild Duck

14 Oct 2011, 01:36

Meanwhile, at geekhack...

ripster

17 Oct 2011, 17:10

Hey, AT LEAST at geekhack I don't get banned or my POSTS ERASED!!!!

Oh wait, I do.

webwit
Wild Duck

17 Oct 2011, 17:31

We only censor off-topic advertisements aka spam.

ripster

17 Oct 2011, 18:05

Ah, good point.

I thought perhaps some DT members would want to gobble up the vintage switch information.

webwit
Wild Duck

19 Oct 2011, 02:54

Is it supposed to be without inline images, or is that because I'm not logged in?

Azrael

21 Oct 2011, 13:22

just offered a keyboard on geekhack for the first time, and the guys there all said its a good keyboard but its better to try it here since its a DE layout. So I guess deskthority is the better forum ^^

ripster

21 Oct 2011, 17:30

webwit wrote:Is it supposed to be without inline images, or is that because I'm not logged in?
It's because you're not registered. I found that out when I was banned there.

It's easy to register.

If iMav still asks that stupid computer connection question to screen spambots I think either "USB" or "PS2" works.

webwit
Wild Duck

21 Oct 2011, 23:57

I remember helping eBay dealer BoN with that question. He didn't understand it.
I advise the deskthority wiki. It has no functionality hidden behind a registration wall.

webwit
Wild Duck

10 Jan 2012, 23:03

Geekhack is much older and has more users, but the number of online users shown on geekhack is mostly FAKE. :evilgeek:

It runs vbulletin, where the active user list (guests as well) is based on the session time to remain logged in without activity, instead of a separate time setting. This is set to half an hour on geekhack instead of the default 15 minutes (which deskthority also uses). The average visit time for this class of sites is 5 to 10 minutes. If I set it to 7.5 minutes (it's probably lower), that means only 25% of the users on the online user list may be "online", and 75%, they are not. If deskthority would use double this time instead of half for our online user list, it would appear we'd have more users than geekhack.

ripster

16 Jan 2012, 19:39

OOoopps. Geekhack down.

Hope it's not my fault (again).

7bit

16 Jan 2012, 19:43

ripster wrote:OOoopps. Geekhack down.

Hope it's not my fault (again).
No, webwit experiments with static electricity or something like that:

http://deskthority.net/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1826

:lol:

ripster

16 Jan 2012, 20:06

Oh THAT'S why Greenock Model M's have a grounded spacebar.

Nefarious plot to prevent me from reaching 50K posts and achieving Galactic Domination.

itlnstln

16 Jan 2012, 20:28

ripster wrote:Oh THAT'S why Greenock Model M's have a grounded spacebar.

Nefarious plot to prevent me from reaching 50K posts and achieving Galactic Domination.
What would be epic is to drop 50K and just leave forever, unannounced, especially if number 50,000 was just a random reply.

Unfortunately, there's enough people that would love to see that happen in other respects, that I don't think it would have the intended effect.

ripster

17 Jan 2012, 00:49

I already have dropped posting in the main keyboard forum much. Except for the lulz of course.

In my subforum I am enjoying moving KL's posts around with a click of the Moderator button. He seems upset.

webwit
Wild Duck

17 Jan 2012, 01:19

Yes. You're clearly a man who is unattached to geekhack.

itlnstln

17 Jan 2012, 20:32

ripster wrote:In my subforum I am enjoying moving KL's posts around with a click of the Moderator button. He seems upset.
He started copying this, too. Unoriginal bastard.

RiGS

17 Jan 2012, 21:20

I like the minimalist design of this site. Damn geekhack for adopting that fucking FB connect button.

itlnstln

17 Jan 2012, 21:25

RiGS wrote:I like the minimalist design of this site. Damn geekhack for adopting that fucking FB connect button.
This. I liked the old design, but even then, DT is much better. It jibes with my aesthetics.

Oh, and the speed is nice as well as the keyboard discussion even if I don't have anything to say about an Olivetti-branded Cherry keyboard from 1988. I'll certainly take that over all the Razer, QPad, whatever-gamer-keyboard talk over at the 'Hack.

That, and I can satisfy my man-crush for webwit.

webwit
Wild Duck

17 Jan 2012, 21:56

Damn geekhack for adopting that fucking FB connect button.
Ah another forum spy. We'd only sell you for profiling if google and facebook pay us one billion-zillion euro, or offer to have a deskthority analytics script or connect button on their pages.

mintberryminuscrunch

17 Jan 2012, 22:05

webwit wrote:
Damn geekhack for adopting that fucking FB connect button.
Ah another forum spy. We'd only sell you for profiling if google and facebook pay us one billion-zillion euro, or offer to have a deskthority analytics script or connect button on their pages.
thank you for that :)
edit:
dt.jpg
dt.jpg (32.6 KiB) Viewed 4522 times
vs
gh.jpg
gh.jpg (81.06 KiB) Viewed 4522 times

webwit
Wild Duck

18 Jan 2012, 00:26

Viglink comes as an option with vbulletin, I think it adds affiliate ids to links to sites such as amazon, and you share the profits. Which will be almost nothing, you need real big traffic for that and relevant content.

Reminds me of the end of last millennium. I made a lot of money by being an amazon affiliate, by accident, and without having a site online linking to amazon. It was magic. I was experimenting with my own copy of dmoz.org, an open link catalog, like wikipedia the content can be used. All I had on my site was one script and some url rewrite rules, scraping from dmoz.org when someone clicked a link. Amazon at that time was into its first affiliate API, and to each page I added links to amazon books on keyword match. Now nothing much happened at first. You need tons of traffic to earn something this way. Then the search engines kicked in. Dmoz had some 500k categories, so they scraped a lot (I was DDOS attacked by multiple google bots), and since every word you can think of can be found in one of those 500k pages, I was in every result. I started to make real money. I had a link farm avant la lettre. Fun didn't last long, the search engines got smarter and stopped indexing mirrors. Since it was just an experiment, I closed the site.

But the Amazon checks kept coming in. I had no site. It turned out that one search engine, dogpile (it still exists) had indexed my site in such a way that my amazon links were leading in their results. In other words, you searched for something on dogpile, got links to amazon in the results, and my affiliate id would be attached to it. It lasted for almost a year.

Input Nirvana

18 Jan 2012, 03:09

YAAAYYY Webwit!!

Great story, I bet that was fun and you laughed every time. :0)

Darn, I miss those heady days of the baby-web.

sordna

18 Jan 2012, 05:32

Webwit, how much money did your system earn, was it, say, more or less than one thousand euros?

webwit
Wild Duck

18 Jan 2012, 10:00

I'm not sure if I should be specific like that on the open web ;) Affiliate ids are great, I always try to get one when I need to buy stuff. Well actually they're worthless because of the payment thresholds. Except my amazon id, which remained valid for a decade.

ripster

20 Jan 2012, 04:05

Hey, I've Been SOPA'D!!!!
Spoiler:
Deskthoritynet 1-19-2011 SOPA D.png
Deskthoritynet 1-19-2011 SOPA D.png (361.03 KiB) Viewed 4414 times

webwit
Wild Duck

03 Feb 2012, 23:30

Deskthority is better because it has better uptime.

7bit

04 Feb 2012, 00:09

I don't understand the thread title.

What is "geekhack.org" ?

guilleguillaume

04 Feb 2012, 00:54

This is what happens when Click Clack is going to post some 4grabs:

"The server is too busy at the moment. Please try again later."

:lol:

Return to “Geekhacker refugee camp”