deskthority.net vs geekhack.org

silat

11 Apr 2012, 03:17

LOL now you are being funny. By funny I mean I am finally laughing at you.
You break your toys then run away from gh because gh will not bow down to you. Then you announce that you are going to OCN and on your way out the door leave a nasty note on the wiki.
And you run to OCN?
You trashed OCN regularly when at gh.
Yea, that makes perfect sense.
Then you have the utter gall to say that you have a rule and it is "#1 be polite to the SubForum Mod", all the while trashing the mods/members at gh for no reason. When I say trashing that is the kindest word I can come up with as to your childish behavior.
Oh yeah the reason you behave this way is because you are a spoiled rotten child that screams and cries when they do not get their way.
You trashed your reputation at gh by calling mods and other members of the forums names and doing your best (not good enough by the way) to inflict harm on gh.
Then you whined and screamed like petulant child when no one would bow down to you. (repeated for effect)
Yep you are pretty laughable right now.

Deskthority I hope ripster shares his knowledge (he does have much knowledge about keyboards) with you and that his HUGE EGO and childish behavior doesn't cause a fracture in the group.

ripster

11 Apr 2012, 03:22

Also better addressed in the Flame Thread.

I feel constrained here. Can't post my witty memes.

ripster

11 Apr 2012, 03:23

sixty wrote:
Findecanor wrote: Heh.. :| This is far from the first time that I have seen people who were prominent members of one big board falling out, break out and create their own board. I can understand if you want to keep your reasons secret, but you can't blame me for being curious when it is so obvious.
My personal reasons were a mix of feelings. This includes being sick of the same "what keyboard to buy?" and "gamer looking for keyboard" threads day in and day out. To me it felt like geekhack had lost most of the "enthusiast" feel and was slowly mutating into a mix of OCN and 4chan. Most of the real good mods and posts barely got any views, nor comments and disappeared in the flood of the same old gaming and what not topics. That is sad. I wanted to create a forum aimed at more advanced users.

That aside, I was also not happy with how geekhack got more and more complex with every update. No more mega threads, lets create a sub-forum for everything, do this and that, oh another sub-sub-forum and lets even split the picture topics into 5 sub-forums.

Even with the forum spy that all became very confusing and quite a pain in the ass for me to navigate. I always thought "I would do that different".

All that aside I was also very disappointed when webwits account was finally deleted including all posts. Then also threads asking about that disappeared in silence. iMav has all the right do moderate his forum in whatever way he wants, but for me silent-moderation is a no-go. I have kept out of that whole business before, but that nailed the coffin for me.
Findecanor wrote: I applaud you for having created a real wiki that is not just a subforum. It is quite lacking in content, though. If it had as much content as Geekhack's then it would be much easier to use, just because it is a real wiki.
I think also that there is a lack of a proper alternative to OCN's "Mechanical Keyboard Guide".
I actually had to "fight" to get the wiki through. Webwit was originally planning to go with a forum based one too, but I wanted to hear none of it :D
+1!!

For PROOF see Silat's post above it.

Except the Ripster Subforum thing. I find Keyboard Fonts fascinating.

Input Nirvana

11 Apr 2012, 05:59

I DO NOT like the silent moderating/deleting/no aknowledgement/notes/clarification, etc. It is disrespectful to the members, and a forum is ALL ABOUT the members.

I'm not a prolific contributor to GH, but I am present on a fairly regular basis. And my scope is also not as diverse as some. My two huge complaints in the recent flare up has been 1) the silent moderation (as mentioned above) and one or two of the new mods being pinheads/not doing things properly/acceptably. I may have other issues, but don't feel I'm qualified to throw those stones.

GH has some very special attributes, and it has evolved/devolved in the 3 years since I first posted. I'm more on the disappointed side of things at this point, it's always sad to see a friend losing their relevance. I've learned so much, and have tried to give back to others in the same way, but it's getting more difficult as time passes and the mechanics change. Most of the valuable exchanges (for me) moved to PM, and now to email. GH is turning into the bar on the corner where you meet up, then go do things elsewhere.

net2522

11 Apr 2012, 06:06

kurt , last time that was hack. how long does it take to be a normal.

Input Nirvana

11 Apr 2012, 06:13

heh

I hope the backlash had an impact.

ripster

11 Apr 2012, 07:58

Nah.

Baaaaaaa.....

Baaaaaaa...

Baaaaaaa....

Charlie_Brown_MX

11 Apr 2012, 08:45

ripster wrote:My personal reasons were a mix of feelings. This includes being sick of the same "what keyboard to buy?" and "gamer looking for keyboard" threads day in and day out. To me it felt like geekhack had lost most of the "enthusiast" feel and was slowly mutating into a mix of OCN and 4chan.
sixty wrote:My personal reasons were a mix of feelings. This includes being sick of the same "what keyboard to buy?" and "gamer looking for keyboard" threads day in and day out. To me it felt like geekhack had lost most of the "enthusiast" feel and was slowly mutating into a mix of OCN and 4chan.
I hate to say it, but you’re right. I’ve only been a member for a short while, but visited quite frequently before that, and Geekhack is not what it once was. Endless derping about gaming keyboards, and the same questions reposted endlessly.

Edited due to misreading, then misattributing, the original quote.
Last edited by Charlie_Brown_MX on 11 Apr 2012, 11:27, edited 1 time in total.

Topre Enthusiast

11 Apr 2012, 09:22

lol koralatov did you also mistakenly attribute that quote to ripster?
I was reading it and thinking "woah...ripster has turned over a new leaf and has made a sensible, level headed post!"
Then I realised he was quoting sixty and I read his comment at the bottom. I could hear the canned laughter track playing in my head over the punchline "That's our Ripster!"

silat

11 Apr 2012, 09:44

Wow what a load of misinformation. You could easily have worked for Cheney when he put together his lies about Iraq.
You begged for your own forum and got one. Then proceeded to tear the town down. Huge attention whore bub.
Do you need to be on meds to help with the memory loss or are you just lying?
You proceeded to pizz on gh as if it was your own toilet whenever the forums didnt bow to you.\ And now you are here trying to act the wiseboy that got tired of being persecuted. What a load of bollocks.
I think an intervention may be in your future before you hurt yourself or someone else.

Icarium

11 Apr 2012, 10:14

tldr but I'm still laughing about "ausfahrt"

off

11 Apr 2012, 11:19

Findecanor wrote: I applaud you for having created a real wiki that is not just a subforum. It is quite lacking in content, though. If it had as much content as Geekhack's then it would be much easier to use, just because it is a real wiki.
err... how do you feel now? xD

Charlie_Brown_MX

11 Apr 2012, 11:31

002 wrote:lol koralatov did you also mistakenly attribute that quote to ripster?
I was reading it and thinking "woah...ripster has turned over a new leaf and has made a sensible, level headed post!"
Then I realised he was quoting sixty and I read his comment at the bottom. I could hear the canned laughter track playing in my head over the punchline "That's our Ripster!"
I did. That’s what I get for reading and replying on my phone! I’ve fixed it now, but must admit I am slightly disappointed that it wasn’t actually ripster saying it; I thought his leaving Geekhack might have meant he was a new man.

Brian8bit

11 Apr 2012, 13:09

AND FUCK K-POP!

ripster

11 Apr 2012, 15:39

Brian8bit wrote:AND FUCK K-POP!
+1!

webwit
Wild Duck

14 Apr 2012, 18:42

Gotta wonder why iMav was claiming geekhack was slow/busy because of dos attacks for quite a while, while it was obviously because of a shitty, cheap (virtual?) server. :evilgeek:

ripster

14 Apr 2012, 19:31

I won't comment.

The New Improved Ripster is like Helvetica.

Not loud.

Perfect.

#1 Font.

Neutral.

Very Swiss but without the cheese smell.

ripster

14 Apr 2012, 19:32

silat wrote:LOL now you are being funny. By funny I mean I am finally laughing at you.
You break your toys then run away from gh because gh will not bow down to you. Then you announce that you are going to OCN and on your way out the door leave a nasty note on the wiki.
And you run to OCN?
You trashed OCN regularly when at gh.
Yea, that makes perfect sense.
Then you have the utter gall to say that you have a rule and it is "#1 be polite to the SubForum Mod", all the while trashing the mods/members at gh for no reason. When I say trashing that is the kindest word I can come up with as to your childish behavior.
Oh yeah the reason you behave this way is because you are a spoiled rotten child that screams and cries when they do not get their way.
You trashed your reputation at gh by calling mods and other members of the forums names and doing your best (not good enough by the way) to inflict harm on gh.
Then you whined and screamed like petulant child when no one would bow down to you. (repeated for effect)
Yep you are pretty laughable right now.

Deskthority I hope ripster shares his knowledge (he does have much knowledge about keyboards) with you and that his HUGE EGO and childish behavior doesn't cause a fracture in the group.
Where did HE go?

mkeeley

15 Apr 2012, 02:05

All the "what keyboard?" threads on Geekhack are tedious. Don't see why they can't be consolidated in to a single thread, and posting elsewhere is either moved or deleted. Having said that, unlike the vast majority of forums, idiots on there are rare which is great!

I keep my eye on this forum but at the moment it's not really active enough and geekhack is currently the go to board for me.

Soarer

15 Apr 2012, 03:11

Rare... but prolific :?

wcass

15 Apr 2012, 04:26

not sure why, but i have always thought GH was more US-centric and Deskthority more Euro-centric (and OTD Asia-centric.

GH does seem to have more problems - did anyone else notice an outage?

bhtooefr

15 Apr 2012, 05:15

Hey, some of us are from the US!

And, wasn't that outage due to migrating to the new server?

rknize

15 Apr 2012, 05:56

Yeah, he upgraded the hardware today. It seemed to go well this afternoon, but obviously something went wrong. :o

captain

15 Apr 2012, 07:32

Someone is server rapping. ;-P

ripster

15 Apr 2012, 15:34

Ping!

GeorgeStorm

15 Apr 2012, 15:37

Geekhack often seems to have performance issues ever since I joined (not that long ago)
I found the wiki heflpul, and even though I'm UK based, the classified sections are still good.
Seems to be a lot of bad blood between members, overall I would say as a forum, while quieter, Deskthority is better for me :)

daedalus
Buckler Of Springs

20 Apr 2012, 22:14

I'm hideously out of the loop on the goings on in Geekhack, and this is doubtlessly ancient news, but I've noticed that I now need to be logged in to look at the wiki content on Geekhack. I think this adds a sense of urgency to porting the stuff I wrote there to here...

ripster

20 Apr 2012, 22:20

Hah, I finished that LAST week.

off

20 Apr 2012, 22:23

ripster wrote:Hah, I finished that LAST week.
wuyou did?! nice. where though?
Last edited by off on 20 Apr 2012, 22:25, edited 1 time in total.

webwit
Wild Duck

20 Apr 2012, 22:24

Admit it, you just want to win the G84-4400.

You're probably looking at what remains after the geekhack wiki wars. Something about someone who dared to edit a ripster page, and then ripster setting up vbb to destroy all.

Return to “Geekhacker refugee camp”