Gotta start somewhere

06 Mar 2016, 23:50

Plasma greenImageImage

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

06 Mar 2016, 23:52

Redmaus wrote: Plasma green
I like that. :maverick:
Chyros wrote: Name them by RGB colour values Image .

Alps SKCM 0BDA51 anyone? Image
As ugly as your smiley. And yes Redmaus loves the ugly smiley I know. :evilgeek:
8I_zpsbycv6wwp.gif
8I_zpsbycv6wwp.gif (1.02 KiB) Viewed 5908 times
= Plasma ugly. :evilgeek:

Wait, I know let's call them "seafoam plasma". :lol:

Chyros

07 Mar 2016, 00:00

Redmaus wrote: Plasma greenImageImage
Plasma green sounds very good too Image .

Wouldn't you agree, Seebart? Image

seebart

07 Mar 2016, 00:06

Yes I would despite the ugly pixel behind every line, post it all the time Chyros no problem. ;)

Just as long as it does not mess with your video reviews! :evilgeek:

The longer this name search goes the further we get away from a solution. :mrgreen:

jacobolus

07 Mar 2016, 02:03

Chyros wrote: Name them by RGB colour values ¶ Alps SKCM 0BDA51 anyone?
Nah, it should be Munsell coordinates. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Munsell_color_system

More generally, people should be using Munsell coordinates or something similar for most color communication. RGB is a horrible system from a human perspective.

E3E

07 Mar 2016, 02:05

Alps SKCM Seafoam Plasma Neon Jade Green
elecplus wrote: And what do you do when a3rd color of green pops up? The keyboards are still in Dallas right now, but I am pretty sure there are several shades of blue, green, and cream/white, salmon/orange, etc.
There's definitely a lot of dye variation amongst switch families, even the same type of switch as seen with SKCM Blue and SKCM Tentative Green, but the reason why we're trying to find a name for this shade is because it's a variety of switch that is different than Alps SKCL Green.

I like Jade, but Neon Green is cool too. Those are my favorites. :geek:

snuci
Vintage computer guy

07 Mar 2016, 02:38

Let's change the question.

Does anyone have any issues with SKCM Jade?

Let's leave this up for 48 hours and if there are no serious objections, we call it named.

Redmaus
Gotta start somewhere

07 Mar 2016, 02:45

SKCM Plasma Green?

snuci
Vintage computer guy

07 Mar 2016, 02:52

Redmaus wrote: SKCM Plasma Green?
If you say "plasma", what color do you think of? Ask Google. Most people would attribute plasma to blood (if you take TVs out of the picture) and that plasma is yellow.

Redmaus
Gotta start somewhere

07 Mar 2016, 03:09

PlasmaPistol-shot.jpg
PlasmaPistol-shot.jpg (82.73 KiB) Viewed 5837 times
That is what I think of personally Image

jacobolus

07 Mar 2016, 05:20

I think neon gas-discharge lamps per se are generally an orange/red color (think nixie tubes). For green, you need krypton? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gas-discharge_lamp

I believe most of the ones that are green use some kind of phosphor, and an argon–mercury vapor mix in the tube to emit a bunch of ultraviolet light (which is absorbed by the phosphor and reëmited as green).

I also don’t think much if any jade is quite this color. Emeralds are probably a closer color, though it depends a bit on the lighting. Malachite isn’t a bad approximation.

How about “blarney green” or “spearmint candy green”?

jacobolus

07 Mar 2016, 05:44

Chyros wrote: "Neon green" is actually an official colour and it's not that far from the actual colour:
There’s no such thing as an “official color”.

Closest you’ll get is the ISCC–NBS naming system, under which this color would be called “vivid green” (short form: “v.G.”), though it’s near the border with the “vivid bluish green” (“v.bG.”) category.

E3E

07 Mar 2016, 06:37

Hahahaha, this naming game is getting silly.

So SKCM Emerald vs SKCM Jade?

Plasama is cool too. Dammit, it feels like we're in some kind of secret clubhouse or something debating on trivial matters, haha.

I'm good with either SKCM Emerald, Jade, or Neon Green.

Perhaps we need a poll system to figure out what the most popular name truly is, but I do think it needs to be renamed to something other than green alone.

Redmaus
Gotta start somewhere

07 Mar 2016, 06:54

To be completely honest I like neon the most.

ohaimark
Kingpin

07 Mar 2016, 07:13

"Neon" definitely fits the atmosphere of the '80s. "Jade" fits the locale from which the switches originate. "Emerald" is too damn long to use.

I say put it to a poll. I expect Jade to win.

Chyros

07 Mar 2016, 09:06

I still like neon the best too, jade second. Emerald not so much.

jacobolus

07 Mar 2016, 09:37

Except these are from the early 90s, not the 80s.

Tuntematon

07 Mar 2016, 09:47

Whatever the final choice, I think it should be one word and not more than two syllables if it can be helped.

While we're at it, Complex and Basic would be better than Complicated and Simplified, but it's much too late for that kind of change. :D

Muirium
µ

07 Mar 2016, 09:53

Original and simple would be better still. It's immediately clear which is better!

Chyros

07 Mar 2016, 10:04

Poll created! I put in only neon green, jade and emerald at the moment, as it seems likely only those three really stand a chance.

scottc

07 Mar 2016, 10:07

I chose Neon because Alps switches aren't Indiana Jones movies.

Khers

07 Mar 2016, 10:35

I lack the "Green" option ;)

Chyros

07 Mar 2016, 10:38

Khers wrote: I lack the "Green" option ;)
This is not an option Image .

Khers

07 Mar 2016, 10:43

I can see that, that's why I'd like to add it ;D

Tuntematon

07 Mar 2016, 10:57

I have to agree with Khers here, the switches are already differentiated by series so there is no need for colour differentiation, at least not in any semi-official (Wiki) way. Neon Green as a casual substitute for SKCM Green is fine, but SKCM Neon Green is redundant.

snuci
Vintage computer guy

07 Mar 2016, 13:03

I agree with "green" as an option. That was my original point but everyone wanted to get creative :) I'm all for deciding on a colour name as long as there's a time frame and there is a decision. I'm on the fence with Green and Jade myself but this poll will force me to choose.

Chyros, can you add "green" and choose a time for the poll to end? Let's say one week?

Chyros

07 Mar 2016, 13:22

OK, I'll add green. Note that this will reset the poll, so everyone will have to re-vote.

E3E

07 Mar 2016, 15:22

Tuntematon wrote: I have to agree with Khers here, the switches are already differentiated by series so there is no need for colour differentiation, at least not in any semi-official (Wiki) way. Neon Green as a casual substitute for SKCM Green is fine, but SKCM Neon Green is redundant.
Then why are we totally fine with SKCM Amber instead of SKCM Yellow? Anyone? The point on it being redundant is not really that great of a point considering many people have made the mistake of calling SKCL Green "SKCM" Green.

I vote equally in favor of SKCM Neon Green (the more traditional choice right now) and SKCM Jade (similar to Amber and also a single one syllable word which is a factor that several people have considered important).
jacobolus wrote: Except these are from the early 90s, not the 80s.
Truth.
Last edited by E3E on 07 Mar 2016, 15:31, edited 2 times in total.

seebart

07 Mar 2016, 15:27

I prefer SKCM Amber to "taxi yellow". And I prefer SKCM Jade to "Neon Green" because it does not involve the word green and makes the distinction easier! Let's forget about describing the color and make it distinct for both.

Return to “Deskthority wiki talk”