Pruning of unlicensed pictures

tactica

03 Mar 2024, 12:42

Just FYI.

While it isn't exactly easy to edit the wiki depending on the time of the day or the direction the wind is blowing, I'm now actively deleting pictures that are unlicensed or appear to be used without permission as soon as I find a suitable replacement. If you have uploaded pictures before and forgot to specify a license, this would be a good time to amend that.

Regarding this matter I'm trying to contact those who uploaded most of the bulk of unlicensed content, but since they haven't been active sometimes for a very long time, I'm not exactly hopeful even if I offer to do the changes myself. :|

Muirium
µ

03 Mar 2024, 16:19

tactica wrote:
03 Mar 2024, 12:42
Just FYI.

While it isn't exactly easy to edit the wiki depending on the time of the day or the direction the wind is blowing, I'm now actively deleting pictures…
Sometimes the universe is talking to you.

Polecat

03 Mar 2024, 18:37

Just one of the reasons I've never posted anything in the wiki.

tactica

03 Mar 2024, 20:50

Heh. With so much love and appreciation floating in the air, this place feels like the Usenet all over again.

Muirium
µ

03 Mar 2024, 21:43

My comment was about the state of DT's server, rather than your contribution. Editing the Wiki at all at the moment strikes me as perilous, the way the site goes down in the middle of simply writing posts and PMs. Deleting images in particular when the back-end is like this strikes me as eerily like re-arranging deckchairs on the Titanic.

Maybe once we get through this, the promenade deck seating arrangements could use a little refreshing…

tactica

03 Mar 2024, 21:54

Muirium wrote:
03 Mar 2024, 21:43
Deleting images in particular when the back-end is like this strikes me as eerily like re-arranging deckchairs on the Titanic.
Good point, but bear in mind that every single post here is at least one write operation too. If data integrity is a concern, "someone" should put everything in read-only mode, not only the wiki.

Muirium
µ

03 Mar 2024, 22:10

Integrity? Actually, I was just complaining about the bother. Hitting Submit and getting slapped with an Nginx 404 is quite unacceptable! Sure, maybe my browser will forget what I typed when I try to submit it again later, but that's honestly less concern, to my frame of mind at any rate.

Freezing the forum entirely? Doesn't seem a good idea. Losing people is worse than losing their latest content. Supposedly, there's backups, they say, which though I don't necessarily believe those are working any better, is more than enough to put my lazy mind at ease. :lol:

tactica

04 Mar 2024, 12:35

Muirium wrote:
03 Mar 2024, 22:10
Hitting Submit and getting slapped with an Nginx 404 is quite unacceptable!
As I said, that only happens for some hours at an apparently random moment along the day. The rest of the time the site still works as usual and that's enough for me.

ATM I'm working with 5 flaky hard drives, one of them throws an error if I try to write on it and the others will also randomly fail with very long writes, so you see... I'm used to living in the edge :roll:

Return to “Deskthority wiki talk”