Daniel Wiki- What is it?

terrpn

25 Feb 2013, 21:15

great stuff on switches............ i know most do not like the old stuff and prefer new, however this is as much for identifying what was and just documenting with your other stuff.

do i have an old junker that you cannot identify? I provided pictures so as you can use for your wiki if desired. it is an old dinosoar that looks like a smk or futaba, but inverted. i took apart and cleaned sometime ago- was pretty nasty.

it is linear for sure, no bumb, actually very nice- like a pillow, plate mounted with ds, has some nice heft to it as well.

smk, futaba.........?
Attachments
IMG_4393-001.JPG
IMG_4393-001.JPG (304.38 KiB) Viewed 2733 times
IMG_4396-001.JPG
IMG_4396-001.JPG (807.43 KiB) Viewed 2733 times
IMG_4391.JPG
IMG_4391.JPG (945.3 KiB) Viewed 2733 times
IMG_4389-001.JPG
IMG_4389-001.JPG (790.36 KiB) Viewed 2733 times
IMG_4390-001.JPG
IMG_4390-001.JPG (129.45 KiB) Viewed 2733 times

Daniel Beardsmore

25 Feb 2013, 21:51

[wiki]Futaba clicky switch[/wiki] — top-right photo.

That's a normal Futaba. The term "inverse" is confusing — strictly speaking, the Cherry MX mount Futabas are the inverse ones, although visually you'd think of the normal ones as "inverted". Futaba clicky switches were mostly used by Sejin Electron, which is what you've got. Chicony used the Cherry MX mount ones, and they're less common.

The round SMK switches are Cherry MX mount:

[wiki]SMK clicky switch[/wiki]

There's also a rubber dome keyboard with the same sliders as yours (don't know if it's Futaba), and the Noppoo capacitive switch looks the same but with Cherry MX sliders.

I have exactly one loose switch; if I ever come across a completely hosed keyboard, I'll try snipping/hammering/drilling my way into these switches (like most Futaba switches, they're sealed) and get some better disassembly shots. MouseFan has some, but not enough to be clear on how they work.

terrpn

25 Feb 2013, 22:05

gotcha............thanks!

i'll have to remember that "round" is smk. i have a chicony something that is similar- looks like the cherry mx futaba, but noisy as all get out! can look up if you want

Daniel Beardsmore

25 Feb 2013, 22:13

"Round" can be Futaba or SMK or various others including the new Noppoo capacitive. You have to look at the switch as a whole to recognise it. One day I'll resume work on this: [wiki]Switch recognition[/wiki] There is also MouseFan's switch gallery: http://www7.ocn.ne.jp/~hisao/jiku.htm

If it's Chicony, it will be Futaba — that's the main (and maybe the only) place to find Cherry MX Futabas.

I really want one — always on the lookout for one in the marketplace, along with a tactile NMB so that I can figure out what makes them tactile, and get some measurements for my switch diagram.

Futabas ping like crazy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxaQ9Gte-oY — your Sejin Electron should sound the same as your Chicony, no? As far as I know, the Cherry MX and "normal" ones sound the same.

Return to “Deskthority wiki talk”