Futaba clicky switch requires new name

Daniel Beardsmore

24 Mar 2014, 23:30

It's now clear that the "[wiki]Futaba clicky switch[/wiki]" name is finished.

I now have confirmation of the existence of a linear version:

http://www.ergocanada.com/index_april_2004.html

(The paragraph about the [wiki]Sejin Electron SKM-1040[/wiki] left-handed keyboard.)

Also, the early version (previously only found in MouseFan's collection) seems to be weakly tactile, not clicky:

http://www5f.biglobe.ne.jp/~silencium/k ... 8pc88.html

I am not sure whether it is intended to be tactile or linear, as the force drop is quite low. SPARC describes it as tactile. I've asked him about that, as well as asked him if for any better photos.

Obviously the term "second generation" is a gamble. There's a clear gap in the data we have at present, between the "first" generation of SMK ("vintage linear") and what I've called "SMK second generation", and we have no proof that they didn't make anything before the vintage linear microswitches.

The same goes for Futaba.

I suck at naming anything, but in this case, a new name is mandatory as the old name is clearly proven to be incorrect, and is therefore unusable.

(Not only that, but effectively the "Futaba linear switch" set of names is unhelpful, unlike with SMK, where there's no evidence (yet!) to suggest that they ever made a 2nd gen linear switch.)

Naturally, I've not managed to get even a single word out of either Futaba or Sejin.

Halvar

25 Mar 2014, 09:46

I don't understand. What does the supposed existence of a linear variant (that I don't believe in just yet) have to do with the naming of the clicky switch?

Whether you want call the clicky version clicky or tactile is finickiness -- if you go down the road of defining a minimum sone figure that a clicky switch has to create who should decide on that?

There's a plate spring in the switch that clearly snaps at the actuation point, and you can hear as well as feel that snapping. Nothing linear about the bending of that spring, it has a clear point where it snaps to a different state of inflexion (is that the right word?). There is an acoustic as well as tactile feedback that the switch has been actuated, although it's neither prominent nor loud. I think clicky is still the right word for that, although it's different from other switches that use other means to click.

Look at Mousefan's force diagram. Of course you can call something like that "almost linear" if you want. But that would be a bad description of what happens in the force curve.

Daniel Beardsmore

25 Mar 2014, 10:02

"Futaba clicky switch" as a name inherently precludes any other variant being named under the same umbrella. Think of it this way: it's like saying "Cherry clicky switch", if all you knew was MX blue. Now along comes MX brown: you can call that "Cherry tactile switch", but the two switches are not named in any way that implies that they're part of the same family. Now you find MX black — sure, you can call that "Cherry linear switch", but now how do you tell that from M6/7/8/9/10/11/Y? Or tell "Cherry tactile switch" from ML?

That force curve is on SPARC's website, not MouseFan's. To me it suggests that the switch doesn't click. It's hard to be sure about all the reports of non-click variants (a whole keyboard of broken switches?), but with the Ergo-Canada page, they are quite clear that it's linear by design.

Halvar

25 Mar 2014, 10:53

Daniel Beardsmore wrote:"Futaba clicky switch" as a name inherently precludes any other variant being named under the same umbrella. [...]
True. It's hard to find a decriptive name if you don't know what will be found later and how that will differ of course.

How should one name the Cherry MX family without knowing Cherry calls it MX and not knowing any other Cherry switches and how they differ? You'd have to resort to non- or partially descriptive names like they use for celestial bodies (Sirius, Alpha Centauri, Saturn, Mars ...).
That force curve is on SPARC's website, not MouseFan's. To me it suggests that the switch doesn't click. It's hard to be sure about all the reports of non-click variants (a whole keyboard of broken switches?), but with the Ergo-Canada page, they are quite clear that it's linear by design.
They could well be linear by design, with the spring only used to avoid chatter. They are hearable and tactile nonetheless. Although if you started a vote in the forum about whether the Futaba switch in MrInterface's sample bag is clicky, tactile or linear, I wouldn't be surprised about a split result.

Daniel Beardsmore

25 Mar 2014, 19:44

I have the one from Mr Interface's sample bag. It's got a loud click and it's distinctly tactile. If anyone thinks it's linear, they probably need new fingers. (The sound it makes is quite funky, too, which is why I'd like one of those keyboards.)

Now, I've just had a reply back from SPARC, and in fact the early design version is indeed clicky. He's taken a set of really nice photos of it, too, including the super strength one with an external spring.

rzwv

28 Mar 2014, 21:28

NEC PC-8801mk2
DSC_4037.jpg
DSC_4037.jpg (547.3 KiB) Viewed 3133 times
DSC_4038.jpg
DSC_4038.jpg (558.78 KiB) Viewed 3133 times
Function key
DSC_4039.jpg
DSC_4039.jpg (627.99 KiB) Viewed 3133 times
DSC_4040.jpg
DSC_4040.jpg (491.33 KiB) Viewed 3133 times
It is heavy so that it may not push accidentally.
DSC_4041.jpg
DSC_4041.jpg (581.64 KiB) Viewed 3133 times
DSC_4043.jpg
DSC_4043.jpg (614.72 KiB) Viewed 3133 times
Lock key
DSC_4045.jpg
DSC_4045.jpg (511.16 KiB) Viewed 3133 times
DSC_4046.jpg
DSC_4046.jpg (484.57 KiB) Viewed 3133 times
It also has Futaba of PC-9801 system. The Futaba of PC88 system is lighter.
http://kbd.rzw.jp/mechanical/elsa_notekey-106/

Daniel Beardsmore

28 Mar 2014, 21:52

Clearly there's more than just the one stiff switch.

Also, that latching switch is strange. This is the newer design:

[wiki]Futaba lock[/wiki]

One day I will figure out some way of getting the switches out of that keyboard and cleaning them.

Daniel Beardsmore

24 Jun 2014, 22:09

I got a couple of pictures from SPARC of that latching switch and I can see how it works now.

The latch arm is attached to that flat block across the top. It looks like they've kept the same slider, and then connected a flat block into it that holds the arm, with a piece of wire across that to hold the arm into the block.

It's slightly … odd.

Return to “Deskthority wiki talk”