The Realforce 104 Euro Tour Reboot!

This is where the older threads are stored for the try before you buy ( sinklist ) items
Topre Enthusiast

04 May 2013, 23:46

@rhizo: Yep shouldn't be a problem. Is your friend in the UK? Shall I just add your name to the list again or does he have a username on here?

t!ng
Awake Sheep

09 May 2013, 00:14

Hi, I would like to take a good word for user gruener_Salat. He isn't very active on DT, but on computerbase.de

He really wants to try out the Topre switch.

Topre Enthusiast

09 May 2013, 00:24

Cool - added.
Only one more needed! :)

Neal

11 May 2013, 03:43

Not sure if I was clear enough with my last post, I'm very interested.
+ That would make the list complete. :)

Topre Enthusiast

11 May 2013, 04:13

Hi Neal - I did see your post but I checked your post history and most were made after the original post.
I suppose I could probably make an exception though given that it's taken so long to get enough interest this time round (most interested people probably already had a go in the last tour).

I'll put you as first in the list given that the board is already in The Netherlands and it will be cheaper for me to kick off the tour that way.

@Mrinterface: Whenever you're ready, let's get this under way! (PM me cost to ship to Neal).

gruener_Salat

11 May 2013, 12:02

@002: Great, I'm ready.

Muirium
µ

11 May 2013, 14:15

Glad to see this taking off. It's the first try-out I've registered for to actually get started!

Fortunately I bought one of MrInterface's switch samplers, so I'll have a tiny bit of Topre – all of one single switch to play with – to tide me over.

Anticipation…

photekq
Cherry Picker

11 May 2013, 20:49

Awesome! Can't wait. Oh, 002, where will I be shipping the board to once I've finished? I need to know how much money to keep to pay for the shipping.

I only ask because Batmann is after me but Rhizo's mate who is number 10 on the list is also within the UK.

Topre Enthusiast

12 May 2013, 00:50

I'm not sure yet but I think what I will do (if it's ok with him) is send the board back to Mrinterface in NL and then from there I will cover the cost to have it sent back to me. We'll see how it goes. Maybe we could use it as a prize for the Deskthority awards later this year :)

Muirium
µ

12 May 2013, 00:56

That's a trophy, all right!

Neal

12 May 2013, 10:15

@002, I see. Sorry about that!

Thanks for giving me a chance to try out Topre though, can't wait.

Mrinterface

13 May 2013, 20:09

The package will leave my premises tomorrow!

Muirium
µ

13 May 2013, 21:25

As for the route, a shortest tour algorithm should do the trick. I'm not impressed with what I've found for that online so far, but here's the ever-clunky Wolfram Alpha:
Magical Mystery Tour
Magical Mystery Tour
MSP8141if463d635ef7521000053eggii58h4a6hf0.gif (8.95 KiB) Viewed 5673 times
I just guessed some random cities in our various nations for the input. Obviously, the real locations could make matters quite different. Also, I couldn't wrangle Wolfram into a closed tour: same start and end, as we want here.

But, anyways, whatever reaches Edinburgh!
Last edited by Muirium on 13 May 2013, 23:24, edited 1 time in total.

Topre Enthusiast

13 May 2013, 22:57

So would the best order would be?:
1. The Netherlands
2. England? (rhizo)
3. Wales
4. Scotland
5. Germany
6. France
7. Spain

Would this necessarily work out cheaper for everyone? If so, and everyone's for it, now would be a good time to know so I can change the order.

Muirium
µ

13 May 2013, 23:17

There's more Germans on the list than anyone else. They're closer to Holland than I am, most likely. So it seems more fair to get it rolling towards where most of the people are.

My typical British unconscious preference for mediterranean place names probably distorted the map a bit anyway. You could try popping in our actual cities.

Besides we're still to hear from Rhizo's mate! What country are you in, sir? It had better be in the neighbourhood.

photekq
Cherry Picker

13 May 2013, 23:38

If anything Rhizo should be the last person from GB. I have honestly found that stuff arrives in western Europe faster when you send from England instead of Wales or Scotland. I guess it's because Dover's closer.

I think us Brits should probably be last. Just go something like :

Netherlands>Germany>Spain>France>Britain>??

It's fairly cheap for us to post stuff to the EU anyway.

gruener_Salat

14 May 2013, 18:18

Well, prices for shipping to Spain or France are the same using DHL. Don't care where to send it to.

Muirium
µ

14 May 2013, 18:38

Holland > Germany > Spain > France > Britain > Holland sounds about right then.

Mrinterface

15 May 2013, 10:25

Shipped to Neal!

Neal

15 May 2013, 14:16

Can't wait!

photekq
Cherry Picker

15 May 2013, 14:52

A few things :

1. Who do I need to give my address to and when does that person want it?
2. Is Holland > Germany > Spain > France > Scotland > Wales > ?England? > Holland the final order? I do think it would be the best order.
3. Does anyone have confrimation about Rhizo's mate? Is he definitely from England?

Topre Enthusiast

15 May 2013, 15:15

1. This was self-managing last time but I suppose after the person before you in the list has the board for one week, they will contact you and ask for your address. I assume this is how it was done in the last tour as nobody pm'ed me once about addresses or anything like that. The only time I'd really be interested to know about postage details is to get a tracking number in the event that it goes missing.

2. I am unsure about the 'Scotland > Wales > England' bit. I would have thought that going from France to England would have been cheaper than France to Scotland but I don't live in EU so I am really relying on you guys to offer the best order.

3. Nothing yet, but it he does not reply before it's his turn, we just skip over it (this happened with one guy on the last tour). I'll send rhizo a PM about it.

Topre Enthusiast

15 May 2013, 15:17

Oh and BTW - Spain is out of the Tour now.
The gentleman who was previously interested has pm'ed me requesting I remove him from the list.

Muirium
µ

15 May 2013, 15:19

I expect all mainland Britain is the same postage, as far as the rest of the world is concerned. I've never had much in the way of delays "all the way up here" either. That would be different up in the isles, but they count as "somewhere else" even when shipping inside Britain.

photekq
Cherry Picker

15 May 2013, 16:00

I have relatives in both England and Wales and I quite often visit for long periods of times. This sometimes involves me having stuff shipped to there instead of Wales and me shipping stuff from there. I find that :

1. Stuff arrives in Scotland/Wales from western Europe as fast as it arrives in England.
2. Stuff arrives in western Europe slower if it's sent from Scotland/Wales instead of England.

Because of this I think Wales>Scotland>England or Scotland>Wales>England would be best. Of course it doesn't make much difference but I think Mr Interface might get his board back a little quicker. It's up to you guys. I'm not too fussed when I get the board and where I have to send it to.

Muirium
µ

15 May 2013, 16:32

Fair enough. I can be the first on the island if you like!

photekq
Cherry Picker

15 May 2013, 19:26

Muirium wrote:Fair enough. I can be the first on the island if you like!
I've got no problem with that. It's up to you, mate.

rindorbrot

16 May 2013, 19:58

Is it too late for me to join in on this?
I'm in Germany, too.

Muirium
µ

16 May 2013, 20:29

Seems we're down to 8 or 9 participants anyway (Rhizo's mystery man of a mate still pending confirmation) so I'd say sure. Not that I'm the organiser.

Topre Enthusiast

16 May 2013, 23:12

Added rindorbrot. We added people after the tour had started last time so I have no problems doing it this time.
I didn't want to limit it to 10, just get enough interest to warrant kicking it off.

Return to “Sinklist Archive”