TKL RGB keyboard with Noppoo (Topre-clone) capacitive switch

Topre Enthusiast

14 Jan 2015, 10:33

So I've heard that Noppoo are planning to release an RGB version of their capacitive keyboard but I could not find any solid evidence of this. However, someone did point me to this rather interesting keyboard...

The 'Royal Kludge' (lol) RK RC930 RGB

First thing to note is that their switch is remarkably similar to Noppoo's knock-off of the Topre switch. The other interesting thing is that the packaging is very similar to Noppoo's packaging for the 108EC-Pro:

RC930-87:
Spoiler:
RC930-87.png
RC930-87.png (265.48 KiB) Viewed 5848 times
vs
Noppoo 108EC-Pro
Spoiler:
003923gjfzkagfjfk51gzs.jpg
003923gjfzkagfjfk51gzs.jpg (1.19 MiB) Viewed 5848 times
Anyway, my guess is that Noppoo is the OEM for this one, and that they will probably produce something similar under their own brand in the future.

More pics:
Spoiler:
2.jpg
2.jpg (538.8 KiB) Viewed 5848 times
1.jpg
1.jpg (438.55 KiB) Viewed 5848 times
3.jpg
3.jpg (504.66 KiB) Viewed 5848 times

Muirium
µ

14 Jan 2015, 12:30

What a name!

I'm guessing they're using a translucent slider, which doesn't need to be fussy about LED placement. Potential downsides: fragile plastic? Slides well? Is the lighting any better than, well, a kludge?

Anyway, this is just what I was expecting from China. Once someone gets whiff of a demand for something, the clones get busy. Might be a clone of Noppoo's clone!

Findecanor

14 Jan 2015, 16:13

The switches do have LED slots in the upper/left and lower/right corners. I think it looks like there is more light to the left on certain keys, but I am not sure.

huttala

14 Jan 2015, 21:31

Are these clones even close to real topre switches in feel ?
If they are these boards will probably sell pretty well.

chzel

14 Jan 2015, 21:39

Findecanor wrote: The switches do have LED slots in the upper/left and lower/right corners. I think it looks like there is more light to the left on certain keys, but I am not sure.
According to one of the diagrams on 002's post there is an RGB SMD LED (acronym extravaganza) on the top left side under the switch "housing" which seems to be translucent, so makes for a good diffuser!
If the feel is comparable to Topre, perhaps they might be worth a look as a Novatouch alternative? (lights off ofc!)

Muirium
µ

14 Jan 2015, 23:39

huttala wrote: Are these clones even close to real topre switches in feel ?
If they are these boards will probably sell pretty well.
002 had his hands on the Noppoo a while ago. (Before sending it somewhere unexpected…) His impressions were okay, but no Topre:

http://deskthority.net/product-news-f44 ... ml#p165268

The switches are apparently significantly less tactile than Topre. The cloners haven't quite figured out the domes yet. It's reported to be quite linear instead:

http://deskthority.net/vendors-f52/nopp ... ml#p203587

The NovaTouch is closer to the real deal. Which isn't surprising, given who makes them!

http://deskthority.net/review-f45/a-tal ... t8968.html

amospalla
let's go

13 Mar 2015, 00:21

Found this review after watching that keyboard on Massdrop.

Return to “News”