WASD Keyboards to Carry MX Clears and Looking into Ergos.

appeac

17 Jul 2012, 16:32

In my unproductive hunt for an MX Clear board, I had all but given up, having not yet given up my dignity and be seen with a Deck or the money to import a Leopold. Then a glimmer of hope shone in the darkness! An Email!
Weyman Kwong ✆ weyman@wasdkeyboards.com
2:50 AM (7 hours ago)

to me
Hi Adam,

Yes, MX Clears are in the works and we should have some offerings by the end of the year when we release our new keyboard. I am aware of ergo clears and we'll see if its something Cherry would accommodate in the future. Thank you.
TKL's AND Clears, from the US? Cannot wait.

Th3KAS

17 Jul 2012, 18:03

As long as they don't run into unforeseen production issues (such as their PBT keycaps) they will have my business.

webwit
Wild Duck

17 Jul 2012, 21:24

Cherry making stock ergo clears? I don't see it happen, but love to be proven wrong.

rainb1ood

17 Jul 2012, 21:42

On the site's wiki it states:
On request, Cherry stated that they would actually produce Ergo Clears in a slider-colour of choice, provided that they get an order of at least 750,000 switches. Among keyboard enthusiasts there is a controversy, whether such switches should be pinks or violets.
Maybe WASD can order that amount and we can finally have ergo clear stock :D

Djuzuh

17 Jul 2012, 22:08

That is 7500 keyboards.

I doubt WASD can pull this out.

Soarer

17 Jul 2012, 22:35

rainb1ood wrote:... in a slider-colour of choice ...
7500? Depends... how many would buy it just because it's cool to have a new stem colour?! To be the only place selling them would surely be good for business :D

Djuzuh

17 Jul 2012, 22:41

Soarer wrote:
rainb1ood wrote:... in a slider-colour of choice ...
7500? Depends... how many would buy it just because it's cool to have a new stem colour?! To be the only place selling them would surely be good for business :D
Yeah, sure, it's worth it.

But it's an expensive risky move. I don't know if WASD has the funds to gamble all this money.

And also, it means they'll have to stock those somewhere for several years probably.

Naranja

17 Jul 2012, 22:45

This would be the ideal board for me... so we only need 7499 other people on this! hahaha ha ha. ha. :'(

appeac

17 Jul 2012, 23:08

When an OEM like Costar makes a board, do they buy the switches themselves? They're the only company I can see possibly buying that many switches at once...

Naranja

17 Jul 2012, 23:49

appeac wrote:When an OEM like Costar makes a board, do they buy the switches themselves? They're the only company I can see possibly buying that many switches at once...
I'd imagine that Costar doesn't handle that part. It's more likely that companies like WASD buy and assemble the switches on the boards.

The_Beast

18 Jul 2012, 05:20

Naranja wrote:
appeac wrote:When an OEM like Costar makes a board, do they buy the switches themselves? They're the only company I can see possibly buying that many switches at once...
I'd imagine that Costar doesn't handle that part. It's more likely that companies like WASD buy and assemble the switches on the boards.
Nope, WASD gets his keyboards from a factory switches and cases installed. I think he just puts on keycaps but I'm not sure.

At say, $0.50 a switch, he'd have to invest $375,000. I'm SURE he'd rather invest that into his TKL boards or his own PBT key caps. However, the OEM Costar might invest in this if there is enough interest

Naranja

18 Jul 2012, 15:38

The_Beast wrote:
Naranja wrote:
Nope, WASD gets his keyboards from a factory switches and cases installed. I think he just puts on keycaps but I'm not sure.

At say, $0.50 a switch, he'd have to invest $375,000. I'm SURE he'd rather invest that into his TKL boards or his own PBT key caps. However, the OEM Costar might invest in this if there is enough interest
Well hopefully there are many others(mechanicalkeyboards.com?, etc.) besides WASD interested in stocking this switch profile. It still feels like a longshot that this will come to fruition though.

Mindkilla123

24 Jul 2012, 20:05

If they decide for a stem color for the ergo clears, I'd definitely go for cherry pinks or purples. Both are cool and different than the current bunch of stems.

Elrick

03 Aug 2012, 07:11

That's it for me.......no more spending money on old keyboards and junk. I'm now saving up for the WASD models. I want the Clears in any form.

It's about time some business woke up to the crippling need of Clears in keyboards............YES.

santino

11 Sep 2012, 13:05

There a new blogentries on their side. They are planning to bring a illuminated version of their keyboard. Too bad I just bought one of the old versions.

Return to “News”