Tenkeyless ALPS models from Matias — USB & Bluetooth

Matias

09 Jan 2013, 16:03

Info and video here, courtesy of Engadget...

http://www.engadget.com/2013/01/08/mati ... laptop-pro

These use our dampened Quiet Click switches, based on the ALPS design. Ordering and product details can be found here...

http://matias.ca/quietpro

Let me know if there are questions.

rodtang

09 Jan 2013, 16:06

This isn't really about the keyboard but do people really use PgUp/PgDown more than home/end?

matt3o
-[°_°]-

09 Jan 2013, 18:06

rodtang wrote:do people really use PgUp/PgDown more than home/end?
that's the first thing I thought when I saw that kb.

dirge

09 Jan 2013, 18:35

When can we buy the switches :evilgeek: I think a komar/7bit 60% board with alps would be very nice.

mbodrov

09 Jan 2013, 18:44

rodtang wrote:This isn't really about the keyboard but do people really use PgUp/PgDown more than home/end?
I believe so. When scrolling through a long document, you press PgDn many times as you go through the pages, but a single press of End will get you there. If I were using that keyboard (I don't actually like tenkeyless), I'd map Ctrl+PgUp/PgDn to Home/End.

Findecanor

10 Jan 2013, 14:02

On Mac, the Home/End keys usually don't mean Beginning-of-line/End-of-line, but Top-of-document/End-of-document, even in text editors. Therefore, they are not as useful as on Windows.

rodtang

10 Jan 2013, 15:54

It's still PgUp/PgDown instead of Home/End on the PC version.

Matias

14 Jan 2013, 12:22

You can do Home/End by holding down the Fn key with your thumb, and pressing PgUp/PgDn. It's a one-handed operation.

I don't know anyone who uses Home/End very much -- but maybe that's just me. PgUp/PgDn are useful for scrolling. I use them all the time.

fossala
Elite +1

14 Jan 2013, 13:04

Are you going to make a PC version of the laptop pro? I know you are looking into making dvorak keycaps, any chance of a linux (tux) or plain keycaps for those who don't want to advertise windows?

matt3o
-[°_°]-

14 Jan 2013, 14:41

Matias wrote:You can do Home/End by holding down the Fn key with your thumb, and pressing PgUp/PgDn. It's a one-handed operation.

I don't know anyone who uses Home/End very much -- but maybe that's just me. PgUp/PgDn are useful for scrolling. I use them all the time.
in coding (and generally in document editing) home/end are used so much more than pgup/pgdn, actually they are used so much that a keycombo (fn+pgup/down) is not an option, at least not for me. Luckily on linux you can remap the keyboard any way you want.

Matias

14 Jan 2013, 23:25

fossala wrote:Are you going to make a PC version of the laptop pro?
Pretty good chance.
I know you are looking into making dvorak keycaps, any chance of a linux (tux) or plain keycaps for those who don't want to advertise windows?
We'll be selling blanks for sure -- in white and black.
matt3o wrote:in coding (and generally in document editing) home/end are used so much more than pgup/pgdn, actually they are used so much that a keycombo (fn+pgup/down) is not an option, at least not for me. Luckily on linux you can remap the keyboard any way you want.
Good to know. Thanks. AutoHotkey would also work to swap them (for Windows users).

vivalarevolución
formerly prdlm2009

31 Jan 2013, 00:30

Just looked around the Matias website. I'm really impressed by the Laptop Pro and Quiet Mini Pro. I know that some here have expressed displeasure with the choice of Home/End in the function layer, but it gives a little more space that some models, like the Noppoo Choc Mini. I use Page Up/Page Down more anyways.

And I just accidentally bought my first Alps keyboard, and I must say that I like the switches better than Cherry switches.

I can't think of another model on the market like the Laptop Pro (wireless, quiet mechanical, compact, media keys). Correct me if I'm wrong. Gotta give a company credit for creating something that nobody else is offering.

sordna

31 Jan 2013, 22:37

matt3o wrote: in coding (and generally in document editing) home/end are used so much more than pgup/pgdn
How can you say that? Your own experience only?
I do both coding and document editing, and use pgPp pgDown MUCH more than home/end in both cases. I guess a dip switch or toggle setting to select which of the 2 you want in the regular layer, and which in the Fn layer, would satisfy both types of user preference.

Return to “News”