FILCO releases high-profile doubleshot keycaps

yakitori

23 Nov 2013, 14:31

My keyboard and the FILCO doubleshot keycaps.
Attachments
DSC_6731.jpg
DSC_6731.jpg (400.31 KiB) Viewed 5866 times

Muirium
µ

23 Nov 2013, 15:01

Maybe these are the white on black alphas I need for Round 5…

mj45

23 Nov 2013, 17:21

Muirium wrote:Maybe these are the white on black alphas I need for Round 5…
I think they are a very dark brown (almost black) but they would work for mixing with R5 keys.

Muirium
µ

23 Nov 2013, 17:51

The genius of black, white, grey and red is that practically anything goes with it. Colourful, but universal enough to combine with all sorts of things. (Everyone hurry up and get on Round 5!)

kfmfe04

14 Dec 2013, 16:47

woohoo! the 104-key US version is back in stock - just put the order in... (along with a white blank hhkb and the geeky bag on amazon.co.jp) - a friend will bring me the goods in January - can't wait!

strafe

10 Jun 2014, 03:29

Old Thread Bump - New Language Layouts now available from The Keyboard Company (was posted on reddit over the weekend):

http://www.keyboardco.com/keyboard_sear ... &submit=Go

USA 104
French 105
German 105
Swedish / Finnish 105
UK 105
Japanese 108

gallenos7

12 Jun 2014, 11:06

Let me chip in too!

Here are some quick and dirty pictures of the keyset:

http://imgur.com/a/RuwlO

I am not exactly thrilled by the new windows logo.

I do apologise for the messy desk.. but exam period calls for it, I am afraid.

RaleghDirat
Prisoner of Technology

12 Jun 2014, 11:36

Thanks for the pics :)
All the alphas look row 3 profile, is it so?

SL89

18 Jul 2014, 05:28

I cannot wait for my Round 5 order. I need some Sphericals in my life! How do these compare with the Signature Plastics SA. They seem very very similar (as far as thickness and quality go.)

Halvar

18 Jul 2014, 09:10

Oh, they are Signature Plastics SA caps.

http://deskthority.net/post129771.html#p129771

SL89

18 Jul 2014, 17:48

Halvar wrote: Oh, they are Signature Plastics SA caps.

http://deskthority.net/post129771.html#p129771
Is that actually confirmed? While very similar, they look ever so slightly different (stem shape) and the deep dish for the homing keys.

Muirium
µ

18 Jul 2014, 18:16

Add to that the different legends. Typically SP opens up new tooling to everyone who wants it.

SL89

18 Jul 2014, 18:18

Muirium wrote: Add to that the different legends. Typically SP opens up new tooling to everyone who wants it.
I know there was a lot of speculation.

Muirium while you are here, i had a question about taxes. On thekeyboarco website they are talking about taxes and buyer responsibility for taxes and whatnot. How much of a pain would it be to get these caps to the US from the UK. Any insight would be helpful.

Muirium
µ

18 Jul 2014, 18:24

The Keyboardco could likely ship them to you directly. That way you would pay no UK tax (20% VAT) but will pay US customs when they enter America. Amusingly, Keyboardco does the American practice of listing prices excluding tax, which seems bizarre to British eyes. We're used to VAT being invisibly included in everything!

SL89

18 Jul 2014, 18:32

Muirium wrote: The Keyboardco could likely ship them to you directly. That way you would pay no UK tax (20% VAT) but will pay US customs when they enter America. Amusingly, Keyboardco does the American practice of listing prices excluding tax, which seems bizarre to British eyes. We're used to VAT being invisibly included in everything!
thank you for that clarification. it is on my wishlist for the time being. i was mostly just curious.

Daniel Beardsmore

18 Jul 2014, 21:31

Muirium wrote: The Keyboardco could likely ship them to you directly. That way you would pay no UK tax (20% VAT) but will pay US customs when they enter America. Amusingly, Keyboardco does the American practice of listing prices excluding tax, which seems bizarre to British eyes. We're used to VAT being invisibly included in everything!
It's possibly due to being a supplier to business. It's annoying though :P

matt3o
-[°_°]-

19 Jul 2014, 09:37

they sell to all EU, being able to exclude VAT from other EU countries is very important for businesses, otherwise you occur in double-taxation.

Muirium
µ

19 Jul 2014, 15:18

Nope. You fellow Europeans just pay UK VAT like we do here. Buying within EU has no customs.

I think they're just slippery bastards who like to fool you on first glance. Nothing personal, it's business!

matt3o
-[°_°]-

19 Jul 2014, 15:23

Muirium wrote: Nope. You fellow Europeans just pay UK VAT like we do here. Buying within EU has no customs.

I think they're just slippery bastards who like to fool you on first glance. Nothing personal, it's business!
maybe you are just fooling around, but you are so wrong that I cannot even :)

Muirium
µ

19 Jul 2014, 15:27

When I buy stuff new online in Europe, I pay that nation's VAT and then it arrives, free from customs or further UK taxes. It's the Schengen Agreement, I believe. A united market.

I am not a business, of course. Those buggers can reclaim their VAT, etc. etc.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

19 Jul 2014, 15:32

If you have an EU VAT ID # (ie: you are an European registered company) you can buy from all over Europe without local VAT because you are paying your own country VAT when you register the purchase (the good so becomes tax deducible).

In fact when you choose to pay without VAT you are requested to give an EU VAT ID to proceed to the checkout (this is true for most EU ecommerces that deal with business entities).

Muirium
µ

19 Jul 2014, 15:40

Tada. Businesses only. Yet why does their consumer site assume we're all buying fancy aftermarket keycap sets (e.g. this thread's topic) for our company?

The smell test says sloppy / mildly scammy behaviour to me. Every time I ever visit the site, it's all 20% lower than I (or any private individual in the EU) will pay. Without as much as asking me if I'm buying for business.

SL89

19 Jul 2014, 15:41

they seem to be geared at business equipment. i would imagine they sell keyboards and caps and stuff more to actualy typists (if they still exist) government agencies, and all that jazz.

Muirium
µ

19 Jul 2014, 15:45

They're definitely a consumer company too, or why else sponsor DT's very own awards?

http://deskthority.net/dta-news-f76/win ... %20company

I do like the Keyboard Company for quality customer service and being the UK's definitive keyboard dealer, models wise. But their site is just awful.

SL89

19 Jul 2014, 15:47

Muirium wrote: They're definitely a consumer company too, or why else sponsor DT's very own awards?

http://deskthority.net/dta-news-f76/win ... %20company

I do like the Keyboard Company for quality customer service and being the UK's definitive keyboard dealer, models wise. But their site is just awful.
Considering they have been around since 1989, i'd imagine they are aimed primarily at businesses and whatnot. Tho the focus might have pivoted to consumers as well at some point. Probably why the site is the way it is. After all if it aint broke dont fix it!

matt3o
-[°_°]-

19 Jul 2014, 15:48

Like SL89 says I believe the reason is that they are more business focused (and maybe they have more intl. clients than domestic).

or maybe they are simply scamming. I don't know. Personally I'm glad price is w/o VAT since I buy as an intl. business, so to me their strategy works.

Muirium
µ

19 Jul 2014, 15:50

A pivot makes sense. It doesn't excuse their site, but it does explain it!

SL89

19 Jul 2014, 15:53

Muirium wrote: A pivot makes sense. It doesn't excuse their site, but it does explain it!

Sites like these are the old timey ancient stores that have never changed of the internet. Clearly it hasnt changed since Web 1.0 and is probably stable as a rock! Plus, fancy sites cost money, which would make my Filco keys get more expensive!

Muirium
µ

19 Jul 2014, 16:06

Feast your eyes on this: 1999!

http://web.archive.org/web/199910120514 ... ardco.com/

I bet they could run something nicer, and understandable to human beings circa 2014, on Squarespace for likely less than their current site. Or get Matteo or any other Wordpress savvy designer to cook up something even cheaper. But shhh! I'm expecting a FAX…

SL89

19 Jul 2014, 16:08

"Probably The finest Keyboard Company in the world !" best tagline ever?

Return to “News”