Stuff you just bought

alienman82

29 Nov 2016, 00:24

removed.
Last edited by alienman82 on 02 Mar 2018, 03:14, edited 1 time in total.

lancre

29 Nov 2016, 00:33

That looks nice and clean :)

thebluefox

02 Dec 2016, 13:53

alh84001 wrote:
Scarpia wrote: Blue Alps board (my first), $30 plus shipping.
Long live ebay kleinanzeigen :)
How do you manage to get it delivered in other country than Germany, from Kleinanzeigen. Mutual agreement with the seller?

Phenix
-p

02 Dec 2016, 13:56

What are good expressions to use when searching for alps boards on kleinanzeigen?

Wodan
ISO Advocate

02 Dec 2016, 14:04

Tastatur und Tastertur ;)

Khers

02 Dec 2016, 14:08

Wodan wrote: Tastatur und Tastertur ;)
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Scarpia

02 Dec 2016, 14:09

thebluefox wrote: How do you manage to get it delivered in other country than Germany, from Kleinanzeigen. Mutual agreement with the seller?
I just write the seller and ask if they'll ship to Sweden. I suspect they're more likely to ship to nearby countries than overseas though. It probably helps to write in German if you can, I do my best with what little German I learned at school.
Phenix wrote: What are good expressions to use when searching for alps boards on kleinanzeigen?
I would recommend just searching 'tastatur' and scanning everything - sellers often don't know much about the keyboards anyway, and scanning over everything is faster than doing a bunch of custom searches for SGI, Dell, Focus, etc.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

thebluefox

02 Dec 2016, 14:11

Und, alten tastatur/en :lol: :lol: :lol:

Wodan
ISO Advocate

02 Dec 2016, 14:15

Simple rule about ebay kleinanzeigen. The reason people use is because they can just take a pic and list it. Hardly any background knowledge required. As soon as they believe it's worth much, they will put it on real ebay and mark it accordingly. Anyone who knows what an Alps keyboard is will be smart enough to know that ebay kleinanzeigen is the wrong place to get good money for it.

I actually stopped checking ebay kleinanzeigen intensively because I found it very troublesome and time consuming. It's still one of the best places for a great bargain, just much more work required. The best finds you often find out someone else has been quicker and the seller hasn't taken it off yet. Too much excitement for too small chance for success.

If you really want it, also look for "computer" and check these 90s computer offers. With a trained eye you might spot some HADs and SADs ...

thebluefox

02 Dec 2016, 14:20

At any moment you should find some keyboard with Cherry switches. So the good deals would be there...
But, I think that it would be harder to find someone to ship it to another country.

hypkx
Chasing the Dream

02 Dec 2016, 14:50

Yeah the peoples on ebay kleinanzeigen are often even afraid to ship to their own country.

y11971alex

03 Dec 2016, 17:01

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/192024273310

For $17.83, A BTC keyboard that's allegedly similar to Topre, according to Chyrosran22.

Phenix
-p

03 Dec 2016, 17:59

Thanks for these tips..
will try to spot something nice

hypkx
Chasing the Dream

04 Dec 2016, 15:41

Fulfilled a dream and bought a redscarf on massdrop.

Wodan
ISO Advocate

05 Dec 2016, 17:36

Anyone seen these keycaps before:
Normal G81 with thick Laser-Foamed POM keycaps and cyrilic sublegends ... look pretty sweet.

emdude
Model M Apologist

06 Dec 2016, 23:00

I was elated with this eBay find, $120 for two! :mrgreen:

Both are apparently refurbished, but from the photos they look pretty much pristine as far as I can tell. The caveat here is that they are both 1392980s, terminal keyboards, so I'll have to do a controller swap if I want to use them. I'm also assuming the keyboard matrices are like those in full-size terminal Model Ms, so they will probably have poor key rollover.

alh84001
v.001

06 Dec 2016, 23:09

Wow, nice find! Wouldn't soarer's converter work with those?

Muirium
µ

06 Dec 2016, 23:10

Nice find!

SSK rollover is perfectly good in practice. Yes, it's just 2KRO, but IBM designed the matrix well and prioritised the mods. Only multiple alphas get shadowed in my experience.

As for terminal SSKs, I believe the matrices are 100% compatible with a regular Model M controller. Halvar had success with that exact swap a few years ago. The catch: no I-centred numpad layer for you. An SSK specialty.

Edit: Soarer's will work fine, too. But watch out for rollover issues with the stock terminal controller. Hopefully not a problem on Terminal SSKs, but the rollover on 101 and 122 Terminal boards is a misery.

Or you could go MF. Which is the fate awaiting mine! NKRO is just one of the many upsides of that overhaul. Mwahaha!

emdude
Model M Apologist

06 Dec 2016, 23:17

alh84001 wrote: Wow, nice find! Wouldn't soarer's converter work with those?
I thought about doing that, but the SSK I have now doesn't feel quite right so I don't mind doing a swap if one of these terminal SSKs feel better..
Muirium wrote: Nice find!

SSK rollover is perfectly good in practice. Yes, it's just 2KRO, but IBM designed the matrix well and prioritised the mods. Only multiple alphas get shadowed in my experience.

As for terminal SSKs, I believe the matrices are 100% compatible with a regular Model M controller. Halvar had success with that exact swap a few years ago. The catch: no I-centred numpad layer for you. An SSK specialty.

Or you could go MF. Which is the fate awaiting mine! NKRO is just one of the many upsides of that overhaul. Mwahaha!
I vaguely recalled terminal 101-key Model Ms using a different matrix, one that did not prioritize the mods. If that's not the case with these SSKs, then that's great!

Halvar

06 Dec 2016, 23:45

Yes, as Mu said (Hi there Mu, nice to see you here!), mine worked without a problem with a standard Model M controller. It's a 1392980, too, and it definitely has a standard matrix.

Now it's running with a Teensy++ with TMK / Bluetooth, so I looked at the matrix pretty closely...

Muirium
µ

07 Dec 2016, 00:13

A Teensy++ and Bluetooth? Fancy. EZkey, I presume?

I sensed a disturbance in the buckling spring force. Right enough, the MF is near completion!

bearwool

07 Dec 2016, 08:15

I just bought it last week. A Cherry G80-3112HAG. With AT connector and a DIP switch I guess.

Wingpad

07 Dec 2016, 08:36

emdude wrote: I thought about doing that, but the SSK I have now doesn't feel quite right so I don't mind doing a swap if one of these terminal SSKs feel better.
Wow, those seem like a great find, emdude. I owned one of these terminal SSKs for a bit and it just worked out of the box, I don't know if someone did a controller swap in the past but I was able to plug in one of the SDL cables from Unicomp and it just worked over PS/2. Your mileage may vary, though, but I'd try it before swapping the controller.

alh84001
v.001

07 Dec 2016, 09:44

emdude wrote: I thought about doing that, but the SSK I have now doesn't feel quite right
What's wrong with it? ;)

y11971alex

08 Dec 2016, 02:46

3 SSKs for a little less than $58 each... ;)

emdude
Model M Apologist

08 Dec 2016, 03:02

y11971alex wrote: 3 SSKs for a little less than $58 each... ;)
Nice!!
alh84001 wrote:
emdude wrote: I thought about doing that, but the SSK I have now doesn't feel quite right
What's wrong with it? ;)
I'm not sure exactly, it feels all right I suppose but the sound is more of a lifeless click than the clack I normally expect from Model Ms.
Wingpad wrote: Wow, those seem like a great find, emdude. I owned one of these terminal SSKs for a bit and it just worked out of the box, I don't know if someone did a controller swap in the past but I was able to plug in one of the SDL cables from Unicomp and it just worked over PS/2. Your mileage may vary, though, but I'd try it before swapping the controller.
The SSKs just came in today (seller was only a three hour drive away from me!) and they both have attached cables so I guess I will have to swap the controller. :(

That said, I am actually verrry hesitant to even use them.. The keyboards are in fantastic condition, they look practically new! :o :shock: Only slight shine and even slighter wear on the key caps give away that they were refurbished. :twisted:

The case is scratch-free, and the barrel plate is virtually immaculate, no sign of use whatsoever! The metal back plate has practically no rust.

One of the keyboards also came in this nifty Uline box that is just the right size for an SSK. Probably the closest I'll ever get to a NIB SSK.. :roll: :lol:

One is from '91, the other from '87, both look practically new. Photos of the latter:
ssk_1.png
ssk_1.png (1.15 MiB) Viewed 5116 times
Very clean!
Very clean!
ssk_2.png (1012.73 KiB) Viewed 5116 times
ssk_3.png
ssk_3.png (1.14 MiB) Viewed 5116 times
Minimal legends!
Minimal legends!
ssk_5.png (1.08 MiB) Viewed 5116 times
Back label
Back label
ssk_4.png (1.05 MiB) Viewed 5116 times

bearwool

08 Dec 2016, 04:50

emdude wrote:
ssk_4.png
That label's font look fantastic :D

Scarpia

08 Dec 2016, 09:26

I hate you.
Spoiler:
brownfont

y11971alex

08 Dec 2016, 09:52

Scarpia wrote:
I hate you.
Spoiler:
brownfont
Not in nearly as good condition as emdude though. And shipping from China might be expensive.

Scarpia

08 Dec 2016, 09:58

Sure, but emdudes are terminal ones, so he's got some challenges ahead before those beauties are up and running. So I hate him a little less :lol:

(seriously though: great hauls, both of you. Big kudos!)

Return to “News”