Multi-wide key caps from Unicomp

LLRnR
\m/

19 Mar 2015, 21:20

At last, multi-wide keys from Unicomp! In white, pearl, pebble, gray and black, with or without legends!

They just announced it on their Facebook page.

I'm mostly interested in gray and black with no legends, but I'd like to know what is the difference between pearl and pebble. Could someone please illuminate me?

scottc

19 Mar 2015, 21:36

Pearl and pebble are the original colours found on an IBM Model M. Gray is used in the uglier Unicomp-branded Ms, and black is... just black.

LLRnR
\m/

19 Mar 2015, 21:41

scottc wrote: Pearl and pebble are the original colours found on an IBM Model M. Gray is used in the uglier Unicomp-branded Ms, and black is... just black.
I know what black is :D Yeah, I agree, the grey keys they put on their black boards are not very good-looking (or the combination of the two). So would pearl be the light color on the IBM Model M, and pebble the darker one? Or the other way around? :confused:

andrewjoy

19 Mar 2015, 21:41

thats cool, now they just need a none stepped caps lock

scottc

19 Mar 2015, 21:43

LLRnR wrote: ... So would pearl be the light color on the IBM Model M, and pebble the darker one? Or the other way around? :confused:
I think so, but I wasn't completely sure, so I left it out. :lol:

LLRnR
\m/

19 Mar 2015, 21:47

scottc wrote: I think so, but I wasn't completely sure, so I left it out. :lol:
Haha, OK. I love the English language, but sometimes it's too much of a stretch for me... pearl and pebble are not the first thing that comes to mind when thinking about colors. Something like #D1D1C7 is more expressive :P

Touch_It

20 Mar 2015, 00:02

Fuck. Now I can customize even more. Time to ask for a raise

Daniel Beardsmore

20 Mar 2015, 01:03

LLRnR wrote: Haha, OK. I love the English language …
You'll have to revoke your French citizenship now :-)

20 Mar 2015, 03:08

Nice - I guess they do listen to the feedback provided in their customer surveys; this has been something I have been asking for on the surveys for my past three orders.

20 Mar 2015, 03:39

To answer your question above, Pearl / Pebble are the normal Model M beige key colors; Pear being the light color, Pebble being the darker color.

LLRnR
\m/

20 Mar 2015, 09:20

Daniel Beardsmore wrote: You'll have to revoke your French citizenship now :-)
I don't have anything to lose here :P I don't have my French citizenship yet, but I'll be working on getting it... in a few years from now (I'm a Romanian immigrant).
0100010 wrote: Nice - I guess they do listen to the feedback provided in their customer surveys; this has been something I have been asking for on the surveys for my past three orders.
The thought did occur to me. I also asked for multi-wide keys in the last survey. They might not have the marketing skills of other companies, but they seem very receptive and they're very helpful with support tickets on their website.
0100010 wrote: To answer your question above, Pearl / Pebble are the normal Model M beige key colors; Pear being the light color, Pebble being the darker color.
Thanks! The mystery is now solved!

Redmaus
Gotta start somewhere

20 Mar 2015, 13:23

A little odd, this happened exactly when they replied to a special order request of mine about needing extra ANSI keys for model M 122 key bolt mods.

Daniel Beardsmore

20 Mar 2015, 22:04

LLRnR wrote: I don't have anything to lose here :P
I had a feeling you were not French, and your apparent act of sacrilege only confirmed it to me :)

zts

23 Mar 2015, 01:43

any ETA on the TKL they've been working on?

Redmaus
Gotta start somewhere

23 Mar 2015, 02:04

zts wrote: any ETA on the TKL they've been working on?
Who knows... The layout on it is reasonable. Although I still like my SSK more :mrgreen:

zts

23 Mar 2015, 02:54

Redmaus wrote:
zts wrote: any ETA on the TKL they've been working on?
Who knows... The layout on it is reasonable. Although I still like my SSK more :mrgreen:
yep, the exact reason I'd like a new Unicomp TKL to preserve my SSK :lol: But, really. I'm not sure why it takes them so long to produce something that would sell, and probably sell better than all their other KB models together. The TKL (or smaller) is a trend they need to catch and ride.

Return to “News”