Cherry MX Silent?

chzel

05 Aug 2015, 19:25

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardware/2 ... x-silent/1
http://hexus.net/tech/news/peripherals/ ... -launched/
http://www.pcgameshardware.de/Tastature ... t-1166850/

It seems Cherry launched another Corsair exclusive!
From what I gather, they use Alps-style dampers and they will come in Red and Black.
Any of the CM reps around for more info???

Muirium
µ

05 Aug 2015, 19:27

Naturally, I'm intrigued. Any chance they can lube them right too!

chzel

05 Aug 2015, 19:32

Smooth (like vintage) AND silent MX Blacks...Oh the joy!

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

05 Aug 2015, 19:33

Remains to be seen...

Muirium
µ

05 Aug 2015, 19:36

Yeah, I'd be surprised! Positively so.

Chyros

05 Aug 2015, 19:37

Hmmm, so they wisely went for the Alps dampening design. Good choice, it's a simple yet very effective mechanism. Wonder what these are like. Tbh Cherry switches weren't all that loud apart from the blue variety...

chzel

05 Aug 2015, 19:39

No matter how good they will be, there will probably be a "Don't touch, only we can play with it" policy from Corsair...
And I'm not too keen on buying a 160€ keyboard to harvest switches!

Muirium
µ

05 Aug 2015, 20:15

Chyros wrote: Hmmm, so they wisely went for the Alps dampening design. Good choice, it's a simple yet very effective mechanism. Wonder what these are like.
I wonder. MX doesn't have the room, or the fundamental geometry, for the way Alps did it. I'm keen to see where exactly they put the damping. And what material it is. Could be hard for us to copy. Could even be destroyed whenever people open up a switch. Needs to be seen.
Chyros wrote: Tbh Cherry switches weren't all that loud apart from the blue variety...
Oh, they are. Try doing on an MX keyboard what I did with my Topres in this video:

http://deskthority.net/videos-f63/topic11287.html

The stock NovaTouch's Achilles heel is the topping out racket. Much like linear MX! And the better built the keyboard, the louder it gets.

tlt

05 Aug 2015, 20:17

Corsair is probably paying some of the development cost to get the exclusivity.

Findecanor

05 Aug 2015, 20:56

At last! What took you so long, Cherry?

Direct link to detailed rendering.

However, article fail in that it claims that "click" is the sound on topping up or bottoming down. I suppose that flaw was in the press release from Corsair.

Muirium
µ

05 Aug 2015, 20:59

Thanks for that! Here's the interesting bit:
Screen Shot 2015-08-05 at 7.57.23 pm.png
Screen Shot 2015-08-05 at 7.57.23 pm.png (218.21 KiB) Viewed 10329 times
Looks like they are damping in the equivalent spot to good old Alps. It'll be a squeeze!

amospalla
let's go

05 Aug 2015, 21:43

Oh... if this is well done then I will have to test again a dampened red one, it will never end!!!

What mixed feelings this makes me have.

chzel

05 Aug 2015, 21:47

Didn't you know? It never ends.

Redmaus
Gotta start somewhere

06 Aug 2015, 03:06

I might just want to buy the switches alone.

I don't really care for the strafe...

chzel

06 Aug 2015, 06:32

Good luck with that..

Muirium
µ

06 Aug 2015, 14:47

So, who's got some spare MX switches lying about? I want to hear how hard it is to make and install such tiny dampers. And I especially want to know if Cherry altered the slider shape to accommodate them.

Could be a chance these dampers are an addition to normal switches, rather than a full different slider. Anyone know?

Khers

06 Aug 2015, 14:52

From the render above I take it that it is indeed a new slider design based on the fact that the entire innards of the slider seem to be made out of the grey material that is supposedly the damper with a black shell.

Muirium
µ

06 Aug 2015, 14:55

Oh right. I didn't realise that colour meant anything. My eyes are fixed on the little damper on the left, at the top of the slider rail. Topping out is the damping that I care about.

That said, a bit more mass in the slider (especially spongy, non-sound transmitting) ought to help on both strokes. But a damper right at the contact point between slider and top shell makes all the difference to me, on Alps and Topre.

andrewjoy

06 Aug 2015, 15:34

any sound samples yet ?

Muirium
µ

06 Aug 2015, 15:52

Where's our Corsair rep!

Redmaus
Gotta start somewhere

06 Aug 2015, 18:28

Muirium wrote: Where's our Corsair rep!
Darn straight! The voice of DT needs to be heard! Although we really aren't the place for backlighting or RGB...

Muirium
µ

06 Aug 2015, 18:44

Indeed. But damped switches… yeah, some of us are interested in that! This reminds me of when CM got into Topre switches, and suddenly got my attention too.

davkol

06 Aug 2015, 20:11

Meh. So, yeah, it's an innovation, but I'll rather keep my vintage blacks (or buy gaterons for the next build) and either do the Oobly's latex mod, or buy some Uniqey QMX Clips (should be available soon, right? right?!)… I prefer PCB mount anyway. KISS.

Muirium
µ

06 Aug 2015, 20:15

A lot of us want to keep it so simple that we don't have to go through the bother of opening up dozens upon dozens of switches! It's tedious, tiny, time consuming work.

You'll get better results with Nixies, of course, so long as the damping works.

davkol

06 Aug 2015, 20:23

Lubrication? Yeah, I don't bother with that. Cherry-picked vintage blacks (or gaterons) are good enough out of the box, at least to me. I don't trust Cherry Corp. with new switches.

Simply removing switch covers isn't an issue though, esp. with a good switch-opening tool. Neither the latex mod, nor installing QMX Clips should be any more difficult than that.

Jmneuv

07 Aug 2015, 00:56

Nice.. who would have thought. Am a bit sceptical about the longevity of this microscopic rubber part.

chzel

07 Aug 2015, 01:00

The equivalent rubber parts in Alps are really durable, so I don't think it would be a problem, unless they make it too soft or something!

Findecanor

07 Aug 2015, 21:59

The rubber parts on Alps are much bigger than these and less complicated.

Bramster
Cooler Master Employee

12 Aug 2015, 16:13

Any of the CM reps around for more info???
Officially ofcousre I cannot comment on this. What is known now is that its Corsair exclusive for the comming 6 months and available in Black and Red versions, but thats all from the PRs ofcourse.. Anymore info I cannot say.

But perhaps you can specify what question you might have czhel?

chzel

12 Aug 2015, 16:56

Thank you for the comment!
I think you covered it pretty well!
I was curious about availability for the "general public", and being an MX Black fan, I'd like to know all the details! Are they smoother than regular blacks? How does the damping feel compared to Alps or Matias damped? Do the bumpers reduce travel or are the switch bodies different? Longevity?
Any answer you can give would be great!

Return to “News”