Solu computer and OS

vivalarevolución
formerly prdlm2009

17 Oct 2015, 19:34

During my recent trip to San Francisco, I shared an Uber car with the CEO of this company called Solu. He was in town to They have created and are trying to sell a computer/OS combo with minimal hardware and works mostly through the cloud. All the apps and storage are in the cloud for a $20/month fee for unlimited usage. They also created their own operating system, which looks different than anything that I've ever seen. The hardware device itself is a small touchscreen tablet with a wood case. The CEO also spoke of eventually making wooden peripherals.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/67 ... -computing

I thought it was all interesting. Although I think that most consumers are so accustomed to Windows and Mac and their mobile systems that they will not bother learning a new OS. Regardless, I will keep my eye on the company and may purchase one when the initial kinks are worked out.
Last edited by vivalarevolución on 17 Oct 2015, 22:49, edited 1 time in total.

Muirium
µ

17 Oct 2015, 19:40

Small world, eh?

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2 ... -the-world

The guy talks big. I can't imagine this thing taking off, though. Even Microsoft can't pivot its existing ecosystem of developers to make the Surface a success. Starting (supposedly) from scratch… not a hope in hell.

vivalarevolución
formerly prdlm2009

17 Oct 2015, 20:20

Oh yea, he talks big. But to achieve something big, you do have to think big. Gotta sell the product, too.

I guess the advantage his company has is not having to worry about pissing off existing customers by changing the OS too much, which Microsoft and Apple would need to worry about if they made drastic changes to their OS. Of course, the legions of Apple of fanboys are so strong that they will buy whatever Apple puts out there.

Altogether, I find it to be an interesting concept.

zslane

17 Oct 2015, 20:22

I think you're right, viva, very few folks are going to want to learn a new OS. I use three--Windows, iOS, and Linux--and I've reached OS saturation. No room in my brain or my life for a fourth. And I expect it will be quite some time before a mobile, cloud-based OS would replace any of the three I already use.

I like forward thinkers, but while many of Apple's products over the years matched a need I had, this one (and cloud computing in general) simply does not. I actually dislike cloud-based computing; its conveniences don't overcome its deficiencies IMO. So Solu is heading in a direction I simply don't want to go as a consumer.

Findecanor

18 Oct 2015, 00:28

That device is not one you own, you are totally dependent on their cloud servers. I would never use anything cloud base, unless the cloud is the point.

With how I use computers now, the cloud isn't the point. I use my them for work, for things I want to keep private, not things that I want to share in a collaborative space. Some of my files are really old because I store them myself - if they had been in the "cloud" then they would have disappeared when the cloud provider has closed its services.

For me, in that video, that device looks like an oversized Apple Watch ... with the user interface of an Apple Watch. Not so exciting.

And if you are using Uber, then Fuck You.

niomosy

04 Nov 2015, 07:21

People love touting "cloud" but the cloud has its limitations. I certainly don't have any desire to be that heavily dependent on it. It only gets worse if you're a heavy data user and have an ISP that limits you. Imagine not being able to get to your files until the billing cycle resets or you've got to pay a higher price.

Personally, I make only small uses of most cloud services and mostly for things that I want when I'm out and only have my phone around. Outside that, I'll go with multiple local backups and offsite copies.

Halvar

10 Nov 2015, 10:04

Even if I ignore the data security factor: with the data volume packages and LTE coverage we're getting from mobile providers today, putting "everything in the cloud" is no option for me at all. Moreover, even if I liked that concept, I'd probably just use Google's or Microsoft`s offerings for that which are both pretty good right now and innovating fast.

Wood as a material for computer cases doesn't look exceptionally smart to me given its low thermal conductivity.

Connecting your smartphone with a screen and keyboard to use it as a "PC" is possible now with most smartphones, especially if you're just using cloud offerings in your browser or via some kind of remote session.

vivalarevolución
formerly prdlm2009

17 Nov 2015, 03:55

Yea, can't say I would be too excited about having everything in the cloud or being limited to whatever hardware they offer.

The OS interests me than anything, I would like to see if it is more intuitive than Windows or Mac. This whole focus on collaboration doesn't seem very useful for home PC users, but perhaps some companies will be interested.

Also, Findcanor, about Uber, I got a free ride credit from a friend and used it for one ride. After a little research on Uber, I can't say that I am a big fan of the company and will use another option if I decide to use these other ride services. The personal judgment is not appreciated, but thanks for the heads up.

Return to “News”