Stuff you just bought

y11971alex

08 Dec 2016, 10:13

Scarpia wrote: Sure, but emdudes are terminal ones, so he's got some challenges ahead before those beauties are up and running. So I hate him a little less :lol:

(seriously though: great hauls, both of you. Big kudos!)
Only one of mine is actually a regular SSK. One other is a terminal variant with detachable cable and another is a DisplayWriter variant!

emdude
Model M Apologist

08 Dec 2016, 10:45

y11971alex wrote: Only one of mine is actually a regular SSK. One other is a terminal variant with detachable cable and another is a DisplayWriter variant!
Ooh, a DisplayWrite SSK, that's even better than a regular SSK. :shock: That should also be PC-compatible too, at least.

alh84001
v.001

08 Dec 2016, 11:16

But, I almost pulled a find that would put yours to shame. Almost. :)

@alex if that DisplayWrite doesn't have a full keycap set, we may need to trade some more :lol:

Scarpia

08 Dec 2016, 12:52

y11971alex wrote: Only one of mine is actually a regular SSK. One other is a terminal variant with detachable cable and another is a DisplayWriter variant!
Oooh, an SSK Displaywriter - like mine :) yeah, that one should work with a modern PC no problem.

y11971alex

08 Dec 2016, 21:36

Scarpia wrote:
Oooh, an SSK Displaywriter - like mine :) yeah, that one should work with a modern PC no problem.
There's one more that the seller still has. PM me to get the last one. ;)
alh84001 wrote: @alex if that DisplayWrite doesn't have a full keycap set, we may need to trade some more :lol:
Oh, :shock: I failed to check if the seller actually has the full keycap set! :|

Scarpia

08 Dec 2016, 22:14

PM'ed (obviously)

alh84001
v.001

08 Dec 2016, 23:59

emdude wrote: I'm not sure exactly, it feels all right I suppose but the sound is more of a lifeless click than the clack I normally expect from Model Ms.
Have you checked the rivets? Or maybe tried to change springs on some of the lifeless keys with ones from the M?

emdude
Model M Apologist

09 Dec 2016, 01:04

It's been bolt-modded, but I'll try changing the springs when I find the time. The board was certainly well-used when I got it.

hypkx
Chasing the Dream

10 Dec 2016, 14:29

I bought a novatouch (of course iso) from a fellow user.

Khers

13 Dec 2016, 11:30

I got this little number (heart included):
Spoiler:
The Swedish layout Selectric Maths Machine revealed (this is one seriously heavy piece of kit):

We're here for the keyboards though, right:

My god is that an awful layout, just look at the å, ä and ö. Crazy stuff; and it's not as if someone just misplaced a few keycaps, the profiles are all correct (Also, note the funky math symbol stickers; if you want to type fancy math formulae, this is the typewriter for you :mrgreen: ):

And it's got an owl sticker because, why not:
It powers on, makes some noises but does not seem to be 100% ok as it then starts making some grinding noises that are rather unpleasant at which point I turned it off to save it from self-destructing. I guess it should be fixable though.

Wodan
ISO Advocate

13 Dec 2016, 11:45

What a beauty, Khers!
Are those caps beamspring compatible ?

Khers

13 Dec 2016, 11:47

They most certainly are ;)

Wodan
ISO Advocate

13 Dec 2016, 11:49

Awesome, going to get me some replacement caps for my beamer then!

Khers

13 Dec 2016, 11:53

They seem identical in profile, but the top of the keycaps are shiny rather than matte/structured like my beamer's. Unfortunately, they are rather yellowed as well...

Phenix
-p

15 Dec 2016, 20:38

I just bought an AEK from Ebay, can someone say me which switches are these?
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/qimro5y5d54e ... wpY3a?dl=0
ALPS dampened white :eek:, or?

XMIT
[ XMIT ]

15 Dec 2016, 20:50

Khers wrote: I guess it should be fixable though.
There is a guy in the Chicago area (in the US) who can repair anything and everything on these typewriters, for about 250 USD plus shipping. So, fixable perhaps, but feasible?

I decided long ago that I did not want to be a typewriter repairman. That's yet another rabbit hole that I don't want to jump into. I love my repair guy and will gladly give him business again.

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

15 Dec 2016, 21:26

Khers wrote: heart included
...and owl sticker included! :mrgreen: Nice keycaps.

Khers

15 Dec 2016, 22:13

XMIT wrote:
Khers wrote: I guess it should be fixable though.
There is a guy in the Chicago area (in the US) who can repair anything and everything on these typewriters, for about 250 USD plus shipping. So, fixable perhaps, but feasible?

I decided long ago that I did not want to be a typewriter repairman. That's yet another rabbit hole that I don't want to jump into. I love my repair guy and will gladly give him business again.
If it's that expensive to get it up and running, I'm not sure it's worth it... I opened it up and saw a lot of disintegrated foam all ober the place, maybe just clearing that up does the trick. Nothing seems obviously broken apart from that.
seebart wrote:
Khers wrote: heart included
...and owl sticker included! :mrgreen: Nice keycaps.
Yeah, they are pretty rad; too bad the front print is just stickered on. Otherwise they would have been awesome ;)

XMIT
[ XMIT ]

15 Dec 2016, 23:36

I bought a Logitech G410 because I wanted to get some more experience with the switches for potential use in some other projects.

It's kind of a downer. For one it's another Pingmaster - lots of resonance inside. The stabilized keys feel heavier than the others. The switch feel is heavy and scratchy - similar to what brand new MX Clears feel like. And the case - I can't use a wrist rest with it because of the odd asymmetrical design.

I was thinking of constructing a new case for this board and am not sure it's worth the trouble.

The LEDs are really pretty, though. I just wish they were driven at a higher refresh rate.

I think lighter but thicker springs, some lubrication, and a better case could make this a great board. For now it goes back in the box.

XMIT
[ XMIT ]

16 Dec 2016, 04:12

I was going to see about making a new case for the Logitech G410. I opened it up (after some swearing at screws hidden under rubber pads) and found this.
Weirdest PCB shape ever.
Weirdest PCB shape ever.
DSCF1333.jpg (408.91 KiB) Viewed 5891 times
Rotten to the core, this one is. I'm guessing those Logitech-stenciled daughterboards, all three of them, are some sort of LED controllers.

It also doesn't have a plate. The switches are PCB mounted. Maybe I can make an acrylic case for this one.

derzemel

23 Dec 2016, 16:09

My first Korean aluminium case. The perfect Christmas gift I made myself, ever, a TX-1800:

I will take better images when I get home :D

andrewjoy

23 Dec 2016, 18:20

Oh my ! Can that take the winkeyless bottom row ?

derzemel

23 Dec 2016, 18:35

andrewjoy wrote:Oh my ! Can that take the winkeyless bottom row ?
Yes, it can. I was planning to build it with the bottom like this: 1.25, 1.25, 1.25, 6.5, 1.5, 1.5.

hypkx
Chasing the Dream

23 Dec 2016, 19:18

Bought some smd leds for my GON NerD60 pcb.

vsev

07 Jan 2017, 09:34

First morning of this new year, when woke up, I saw on the corner of the room I was (countryside, somewhere in Normandy) some familiar profile keyboard lying on the floor.. Asked to the friend I was hosted by and backing home with this spectacular G81 SAF, very lightened dyed legends and with errors on alignment.
Poor naughty little duck, I took it under my wing and will take very good care of it !
P1100551.JPG
P1100551.JPG (442.06 KiB) Viewed 5721 times
Here close to a regular dye sub set..

gogusrl

07 Jan 2017, 09:57

Why would they dyesub them to look just like a lasered set ?!

derzemel

07 Jan 2017, 09:57

gogusrl wrote:Why would they dyesub them to look just like a lasered set ?!
The printer was running out of paint?

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

07 Jan 2017, 10:07

vsev wrote: First morning of this new year, when woke up, I saw on the corner of the room I was (countryside, somewhere in Normandy) some familiar profile keyboard lying on the floor.. Asked to the friend I was hosted by and backing home with this spectacular G81 SAF, very lightened dyed legends and with errors on alignment.

Poor naughty little duck, I took it under my wing and will take very good care of it !
:duck:

:maverick:

vsev

07 Jan 2017, 12:18

gogusrl wrote: Why would they dyesub them to look just like a lasered set ?!
P1100552.JPG
P1100552.JPG (380.72 KiB) Viewed 5660 times
Really no clue about this :? But as close as I can see it really is dye sub printed..

gogusrl

07 Jan 2017, 12:20

That looks 100% lasered to me :)

Return to “News”