HHKB Professional BT (Bluetooth)

Muirium
µ

30 May 2016, 16:47

What the fuck is Imgur doing with that awful full screen animation?

Also: Ducky's stuff is nice and all, but in a thread about HHKBs? It's not even a 60%…

matt3o
-[°_°]-

30 May 2016, 16:52

Muirium wrote: It's not even a 60%…
neither the HHKB :)

also... are you arguing about off topic?! really?! reeeeally!? :D

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

30 May 2016, 16:57

Ducky Air Bluetooth 65%
I like the sound of that for some reason. Not that I would buy it. :maverick:

t!ng
Awake Sheep

30 May 2016, 17:18

I don't think my post was that much offtopic. The Ducky Air is a bluetooth small form factor keyboard and manages to hide the battery cartridge in a better way than the HHKB BT. This I wanted to point out.

Muirium
µ

30 May 2016, 17:26

For anyone late showing up:
t!ng wrote: Image

This, I like this.
I was just pissed off at the big dumb overlay that struck when I opened your original Imgur link on my phone. Had hoped to see a nice HHKB mod underneath, but nope. So I opened up a vent!

You're certainly right that anyone and everyone can do a better job with Bluetooth than Topre did. The HHKB BT is such a pig's ear… ack!

Stabilized

30 May 2016, 21:06

That Ducky air is the first Ducky keyboard that has actually interested me. Depending on price and availability in the EU with ANSI layout I think I will definitely try one out.

KRKS

31 May 2016, 14:24

Yet another "lel gotta have 6.25 amirite so let's make left alt smaller", 0/10.

Muirium
µ

31 May 2016, 14:27

But you do gotta have it. On MX, you're really fucked if your board demands a 6.0 spacebar.

_PixelNinja

31 May 2016, 15:17

Muirium wrote: But you do gotta have it. On MX, you're really fucked if your board demands a 6.0 spacebar.
What this man says.

cookie

01 Jun 2016, 10:30

joric wrote:
cookie wrote: What a pitty but nice that you've shared pictures of the internals! I'd love to see a picture of the BT under the dome though. Could you take one for me? :)
NO. I wouldn't like to do that. It would need disassembling the board and unscrewing 20 mount points. I assure you, domes are the same. Circles on the PCB are slightly smaller so they're completely covered by the domes.
I'd actually like to know if they've changed under the dome :)

But Okay, I know how annoying it can be to re-assamble an HHKB

Elrick

01 Jun 2016, 12:47

Muirium wrote: You're certainly right that anyone and everyone can do a better job with Bluetooth than Topre did. The HHKB BT is such a pig's ear… ack!

Maybe the pertinent question here that hasn't been asked yet, is the HHKB an Awful Design to begin with?

Now quickly leaving this area before the HHKB fiends, start attacking 8-) .

Muirium
µ

01 Jun 2016, 12:51

Answer: no.

What a vicious mauling…

cookie

01 Jun 2016, 18:40

To the pitchforks!

matt3o
-[°_°]-

02 Jun 2016, 08:46

At FPU they've been incredibly lazy when it came to design the new case and many design choices have been probably done to avoid too much re-tooling. They missed a great opportunity and don't expect any update for another 5 years... but honestly I find the bulky industrial design not enough for not buying it if I ever was into buying a BT HHKB.

cookie

02 Jun 2016, 10:07

Did they really avoided re-tooling? If you look closely at the housing it isn't just a HHKB Pro2 with a battery stoop.
It actually has different edges.

I think they just screwed up the whole design, also I am asking myself if they are aware that there is a huge marked among us keyboard enthusiasts? They've clearly bypassed our actual needs and the current trend :|

_PixelNinja

02 Jun 2016, 15:06

cookie wrote: I think they just screwed up the whole design, also I am asking myself if they are aware that there is a huge marked among us keyboard enthusiasts? They've clearly bypassed our actual needs and the current trend :|
Is it really a huge market though? In the grand scheme of things we are a niche, most probably even a niche inside of a niche. And for what it's worth, they did say back in the day that they were not interested in the European market (this was reported by Brian from the KeyboardCo when he was trying to import HHKBs into Europe).

adhoc

07 Jun 2016, 10:16

I'm still not liking the design and think it could be done much better, but have you seen some user made photos? Looks like PFU's PR department didn't do a great job at taking photos of HHKB BT.

Here are some picture from geekhack, user mteinum;
https://www.flickr.com/photos/mortentei ... otostream/

cookie

07 Jun 2016, 11:27

_PixelNinja wrote:
cookie wrote: I think they just screwed up the whole design, also I am asking myself if they are aware that there is a huge marked among us keyboard enthusiasts? They've clearly bypassed our actual needs and the current trend :|
Is it really a huge market though? In the grand scheme of things we are a niche, most probably even a niche inside of a niche. And for what it's worth, they did say back in the day that they were not interested in the European market (this was reported by Brian from the KeyboardCo when he was trying to import HHKBs into Europe).
Well considering all the Poker madness and that there is already the 3rd revision of the poker available in a short period, I'd say that the market is absolutely relevant. If it weren't so there wouldn't be so much keycaps, after market cases, backplates and whatnot. PFU is missing a massive business opportunity right there.

adhoc

07 Jun 2016, 11:55

They don't really care for us man...this can be seen in video games as well as fountain pens - two hobbies next to mechanical keyboards for me. They make some of the best products in all 3 of these hobbies and in all three we're always an after thought.

It's changing for better lately, but yeah.

cookie

07 Jun 2016, 16:53

The fact they don't care doesn't change the fact that they should :)

Findecanor

07 Jun 2016, 18:56

The Ducky Air BT looks very interesting. But I wonder about battery life, because it has backlight. Ducky's booth chick at Computex walked around with it with the backlight on.
I applaud the choice of AAA batteries - chargers are common, and if you forget to bring it on a trip you could find alkaline batteries everywhere. If it had had a permanent rechargeable Li-something battery - then that battery would have been the weakest link in the keyboard. Because Li-ion batteries degrade over time even if you don't use them, you would have had to recharge the keyboard more and more often as time goes by -- becoming gradually more and more inconvenient to use, the problems creeping up on you without you really noticing it.

BTW, Some people like the battery bulge. (although laptop, not a keyboard ;) ).

Muirium
µ

07 Jun 2016, 20:22

Some people are wrong, then.

cookie

08 Jun 2016, 12:26

I keep my keyboard with me all the time and I have a wire for that purpose. If you could charge the batteries through a Micro USB cable or Type-C I'd be totally fine with it. I'd be also fine replacing the power-pack after couple of years.

The giant packer on the HHKB is ugly and unpractical, because it unnecessarily increases the profile.

You must be joking comparing the Lenovo review with the HHKB's dildo. This guy talks like he could fight a friggin bear of with that thing! :D

Stabilized

08 Jun 2016, 12:38

Findecanor wrote: BTW, Some people like the battery bulge. (although laptop, not a keyboard ;) ).
They should have marketed the bulge as a convenient carrying handle on the HHKB! Just need to put some finger contours on it and it would be great. Actually, maybe they should just add a lunchbox handle to the thing, that would definitely improve it on all counts ;)

Muirium
µ

08 Jun 2016, 12:44

Needs cup holder.

webwit
Wild Duck

08 Jun 2016, 12:49

What about some rearview mirrors?

Muirium
µ

08 Jun 2016, 12:51

What's the in-keyboard entertainment system like?

_PixelNinja

08 Jun 2016, 13:59

cookie wrote: Well considering all the Poker madness and that there is already the 3rd revision of the poker available in a short period, I'd say that the market is absolutely relevant. If it weren't so there wouldn't be so much keycaps, after market cases, backplates and whatnot. PFU is missing a massive business opportunity right there.
The 60% keyboard market is still a niche. Even gaming brands who have good consumer visibility in this market are reluctant to put out such keyboards (I've been on CMs back with this for a while). I'm sure the third party hardware and modifications you speak of are at least in part what drives the sales of the Poker, of which customization has always been part of the picture if I recall correctly; the HHKB does not benefit from that. Lastly, keep in mind you are comparing a ~€140 Cherry MX — an established and known switch — keyboard with a €200+ obscure Japanese switch based keyboard with a 'weird layout'. So I'm not sure the comparison is a fair one.

Don't get me wrong though. Compact keyboards are my favorite form factor and I would really like to see Topre more readily available over here in the EU.
Last edited by _PixelNinja on 08 Jun 2016, 14:27, edited 1 time in total.

Muirium
µ

08 Jun 2016, 14:22

Europe is the most nitchiest niche of all. We're a total afterthought, because so few of us are into this stuff anyway.

You're right about 60s. They really raise eyebrows. The Poker can seem mainstream to us, but we're a keyboard forum! In truth, it's pretty damn niche in its own right.

_PixelNinja

08 Jun 2016, 14:35

In that regard (us being an afterthought), it does not help that to conform to a wider public, the brands/manufacturers would have to cater to the diverse layouts present in Europe, driving costs up in what would already be a risky endeavor.

Return to “News”