Razer Ornata - A Clicky Rubber Dome keyboard

Findecanor

04 Sep 2016, 14:11

Article on The Verge: Razer created the clickiest keyboard of all time and now my coworkers hate me.

Razer (again) thinks that they have done the smartest thing in the whole world and combined (what they think are) the best features of rubber dome and mechanical switches... by giving each rubber dome switch a click leaf. :roll:
Apparently the click leaf's only function is to rub against a slider and create a click noise - which it does on both the down stroke and up stroke.

... Or maybe the point is to fool people into believing that they are buying a Razer Blackwidow when they are buying a more cheaply-made keyboard.
razerornataswitch.jpg
razerornataswitch.jpg (45.79 KiB) Viewed 7629 times
(Image from SweClockers).

I'm posting it here only because it could be a candidate for this year's Ping award. :twisted:

Chyros

04 Sep 2016, 14:29

wat

Scottex

04 Sep 2016, 14:47

"This is the clickiest keyboard known to man!"
What a retard

Chyros

04 Sep 2016, 16:13

The enthusiasm with which reviewers throw themselves right on top of Razer's ridiculous hardware is positively nauseating. Makes me think of that Das Keyboard 4 review by that useless dipshit fucknugget, he couldn't find water in the fucking Pacific ocean.

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

04 Sep 2016, 16:17

Chyros wrote: The enthusiasm with which reviewers throw themselves right on top of Razer's ridiculous hardware is positively nauseating. Makes me think of that Das Keyboard 4 review by that useless dipshit fucknugget, he couldn't find water in the fucking Pacific ocean.
Right, makes me wonder what exactly fueled his imense "motivation" for his review. The media works in many ways. ;)
Scottex wrote: "This is the clickiest keyboard known to man!"
What a retard
Let me correct that for you Scottex:
This is the most retarded review known to man.
:lol:

lepidus

04 Sep 2016, 18:37

I dont understand how can this "switch" click. That metal thingy works like an alps clicky leaf? If so, that switch gif is wrong, right?

Wodan
ISO Advocate

04 Sep 2016, 19:41

My first reaction when I read about a clicky membrane switch:

Chyros

04 Sep 2016, 19:48

lepidus wrote: I dont understand how can this "switch" click. That metal thingy works like an alps clicky leaf? If so, that switch gif is wrong, right?
That's what I thought at first too, but the GIF makes it look more like a contact leaf. Fuck knows how this contraption works.

Man, if Razer send me one of these.... xD

LewisR

04 Sep 2016, 21:10

Maybe it's an electronic click noise that is activated once the contact leaf is closed, this of course after installing Razer software and making an account to save your beep preferences up to the cloud.

Findecanor

04 Sep 2016, 21:28

Tom's Hardware has pictures of it disassembled.
It does look like a bog-standard rubber dome and membrane inside except that there are a few more membrane contacts than usual and what looks like banks of diodes on a main PCB underneath. Razer claims 10KRO -- whatever that means: it could be a "creative" way of counting.

Elrick

05 Sep 2016, 07:44

Scottex wrote: "This is the clickiest keyboard known to man!"
What a retard
Actually known a person who has retardation and he is quite adamant about always using Model-Ms, due to their clicky feedback which he enjoys.

So simply saying that ALL Retarded people use Razer products, is again being highly discriminatory here :evil: .

Far safer to say, Shill or paid off gob-smack - to really describe these people who keep promoting Razer Keyboards. After all if you are being paid to spruik Razer-ware everywhere on the net, then expect the negative feedback to come your way.

Elrick

05 Sep 2016, 07:48

Wodan wrote: My first reaction when I read about a clicky membrane switch:
You know what would be completely off the wall, that Razer Corp copies the Topre switch mechanism and releases a cheap-arse version for the public.

After all, not everyone over this planet can afford an original Realforce keyboard so in steps Razer, to deliver their version :lol: .

hypkx
Chasing the Dream

05 Sep 2016, 10:46

I thought its a really interesting idea, not the newest, but interesting. I think in general that a double click is unnecessary, one click is in my opinion enough. The price is a bit high and from the side the keyboard looks for a rubberdome unnecessary thick.

Chyros

05 Sep 2016, 10:52

hypkx wrote: I thought its a really interesting idea, not the newest, but interesting. I think in general that a double click is unnecessary, one click is in my opinion enough. The price is a bit high and from the side the keyboard looks for a rubberdome unnecessary thick.
The double click is almost certainly a design limitation or just shoddy engineering.

Lynx_Carpathica

05 Sep 2016, 21:16

Who the fk wants a clicky rubber membrane? It's like O-rings on a MX blue.
Cheap chineese konckoff cherry clones are existing. Why would anyone use theese keyboards instead of a proper mechanical?

Findecanor

05 Sep 2016, 23:36

Hey, I use O-rings on Cherry MX blue!
I like the click feedback but I don't want the clacks of bottoming out to get confused with clicks. Clicks should be heard on actuation only.

Lynx_Carpathica

06 Sep 2016, 14:58

Good to know that. I didnt know that it makes that big of a difference. But I must assume that you are not bottoming out the switches.

Elrick

11 Sep 2016, 08:03

Lynx_Carpathica wrote: Why would anyone use theese keyboards instead of a proper mechanical?
Razer Corp wanting to dip their infected but swollen toe, into the thriving "Thorpie Market" but instead (as usual) go the scenic route of introducing a cheapo-membrane board with clicky pings, instead of the REAL thing.

This is how Razer has always operated in the past, so another failed experiment for them to gain some extra tax credits on.

Although we need someone to be our guinea pig here, in acquiring and testing it.

Findecanor

11 Sep 2016, 14:32

Elrick wrote: Although we need someone to be our guinea pig here, in acquiring and testing it.
There will be trade-shows where someone would be able to test it. Many stores have keyboards in the open for people to test-type on. I think that will be enough.

Elrick

12 Sep 2016, 04:08

Findecanor wrote: There will be trade-shows where someone would be able to test it. Many stores have keyboards in the open for people to test-type on. I think that will be enough.
Ahhhhhh for you living in the FIRST World, that is achievable but not for us living here in the 3rd World.

Our only chance to see what something is like is due to this place "DT" or "GH" and even "OCN" when it comes to first user experiences.

Findecanor

12 Sep 2016, 15:24

Sorry, I meant that someone could test it briefly at a trade show or store and then post about it here.
When Razer switched from Cherry MX to "Razer switches" made by Kailh, I got to test it before release at a trade show and then I wrote about it in forums. I even posted pictures.

Really, this is not a "Topre-like" switch in any way. I think we can expect it to feel like a regular rubber dome with mushy landing.
The only reason for taking it home would be to be able test the rollover or compare the loudness of the click against some other clicky switches, but I don't think it is interesting enough to make that justified. It is Razer after all...

Edit: Silly me had missed a post on Geekhack by "c137" who had tested it:
I had the chance to type on one during Gamescom.
The feel isn't really bad, just don't expect something Topre-ish. It's more like a shorter-throw MX Blue/Razer Green with a rubber dome on the bottom.

So, in my humble opinion, it's not a bad keyboard per se, but the price doesn't seem right...

Return to “News”