Topre TO MX sliders finally available

cookie

11 Oct 2016, 11:13

Hey there,

in case you haven't seen it already: https://aliexpress.com/item/Topre-to-MX ... ryId=70802

I can't tell if they worth the money but I will definitely try one set out on my board.
As soon as I get the sliders I will measure and compare it to a regular Topre slider.

Cheers
Last edited by cookie on 12 Oct 2016, 13:12, edited 2 times in total.

Thumper
knock knock

11 Oct 2016, 13:33

I read somewhere on r/mk that those are more scratchy than stock topre sliders but it should get much better if they are lubed.

cookie

11 Oct 2016, 14:20

They are sadly quite expensive compared to that Novatouch set a while ago :(

Wodan
ISO Advocate

11 Oct 2016, 14:57

Pretty sure the prices will plummet if you have a little patience. Unlikely they have any licence fees to pay and the molds are paid for by the first orders @0.50$
Just consider that Gateron switches are ~1/2 the price ...
We'll hopefully soon be seeing them more in the range of 15$ for a full 120pc set.

cookie

11 Oct 2016, 15:02

Good Point Wodan, I am still wondering why they don't have any sliders for stabilized keys and how the stabilized stems for the spacebar look like.

andrewjoy

11 Oct 2016, 17:17

Unless you want customs or need to replace the inexcusably terrible spacebar on a realforce, why would you want MX mount ?

I mean the novatouch sure that needs its as the caps are terrible , but for the price i don't think its worth it.

Now if you could pick up a set for about 15 quid , that would be worth it as IMSTO PBT sets are amazing are IMO better than topre caps, but they are not that much better i would spend 50p a key on them

zslane

11 Oct 2016, 19:04

andrewjoy wrote: Unless you want customs...why would you want MX mount ?
I think that is the reason to install MX mount sliders.

I realize that most folks here have a dyesub PBT fetish and are quite pleased with Topre keycaps, but a lot of us have SA keycaps that we'd love to put on Topre switches. Sliders like these are the only way to make that happen.

Laser
emacs -nw

11 Oct 2016, 21:54

Don't click the German version of the Aliexpress link - it's a pain to get the site to load back in English (you have to clear cookies).

zslane

12 Oct 2016, 00:37

BTW, the photo on aliexpress makes them look like they come with silencing rings. That's an improvement over the NovaTouch sliders.

cookie

12 Oct 2016, 11:15

I don't like the idea of having a rubber ring around the slider, it has to be soft foam... it just has to be that way!
I'd silence the rings myself anyway, so thats not a plus for me.

Alkhar

12 Oct 2016, 11:46

Laser wrote: Don't click the German version of the Aliexpress link - it's a pain to get the site to load back in English (you have to clear cookies).
Thanks, was too late.

Laser
emacs -nw

12 Oct 2016, 12:43

cookie wrote: I don't like the idea of having a rubber ring around the slider, it has to be soft foam... it just has to be that way!
I'd silence the rings myself anyway, so thats not a plus for me.
*Maybe* (here's hoping) the sliders are somewhat taller? to account for the rubber ring ...
Alkhar wrote:
Laser wrote: Don't click the German version of the Aliexpress link - it's a pain to get the site to load back in English (you have to clear cookies).
Thanks, was too late.
Well, maybe cookie will read this and change the link in his 1st thread post :D
(there is a pun here somewhere in this whole post)

cookie

12 Oct 2016, 13:11

Laser wrote: *Maybe* (here's hoping) the sliders are somewhat taller? to account for the rubber ring ...
Taler Sliders won't keep the same travel, you need a different bottom part: https://imgur.com/mXH5kjE

cookie

08 Nov 2016, 19:37

Hey guys, there is something very exiting going on on Geekhack in case you are interested in Topre MX sliders!

Check this out: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=77 ... msg2292543

They look much better than the sliders on aliexpress I've posted before, unfortunately I have no detailed information about the price but it looks promising.

zslane

08 Nov 2016, 20:26

It looks like the group buy for those sliders is over though.

cookie

08 Nov 2016, 20:31

I've sent a PM to check out if there are some left.

cookie

09 Nov 2016, 11:02

It seems that they are still available!

Khers

09 Nov 2016, 11:11

I bought into the JTK Debut GB for those sliders, which IIRC was mid 2015. Still waiting.

I don't know what takes so long, but it's a very good way to kill my interest. I'm usually patient enough, but this is getting beyond ridiculous. Especially with the constant assuring "it's getting shipped very soon". The first time I read that was more than a year ago... At least, if you buy into this now, you won't have to endure the first one-and-a-half year of bad excuses.

cookie

09 Nov 2016, 11:19

But do you believe this could be a scam? I saw actual images of the caps and sliders and they looked way better than the cheapo sliders by aliexpress. I can understand when the GB takes a bit but over a year is just too much... I am glad that I've jumped into this right now. It seems that he has received the package already and will ship as soon as possible. I've just asked him about that right now.

Khers

09 Nov 2016, 11:29

I don't think it's a scam, no, but CtrlAlt have lost all credibility. I don't believe in anything they write until I've got the sliders in my hand.

Unfortunately with CtrlAlt it seems that the wait until they've got the stuff on hand is only the first part, as even when they've got the stuff, you're not sure you're going to get it. Their track record of 100% completed GBs is slim to say the least.

cookie

09 Nov 2016, 11:34

I seriously wish I had this info 15 minutes ago before I send the money :(
From what I've seen they have no negative reputation, I saw the sliders on reddit and somehow jumped on the GB.
We will see, I don't like to let the people wait tbh. I did one GB, it was a pain in the ass to organize but I believe none waited more than 2 month till they got their stuff.

I'd always buy in advance, hope for the best and start the "Sale" when I am sure I can deliver as fast as possible.

hypkx
Chasing the Dream

09 Nov 2016, 11:41

Btw was is the price for the leftovers?

cookie

09 Nov 2016, 11:50

hypkx wrote: Btw was is the price for the leftovers?
35$ for 105 sliders and 15$ shipping, for one set you have a total of 45$ which is about 40€ total.
Shipping hurts a bit and sets the price pre slider from reasonable 0.33 cent to 0.42! SNAP!

I still think it is worth it, the quality looks good from what I can see and I'd like to be prepared to the future when we see more "Hybrid" sliders. Even Realforce itself has put those things inside their brand new "Unicorn Puke" keyboards.
I am curios if we will see them on a regular Realforce anytime soon.

Menuhin

09 Nov 2016, 13:04

I misread the title as Alps to MX sliders and was very excited.

cookie

09 Nov 2016, 13:33

Menuhin wrote: I misread the title as Alps to MX sliders and was very excited.

Menuhin

09 Nov 2016, 15:43

I actually have those Topre to MX stems. They're quite well designed with a groove ring on top of the stem base for the integrated red elastic dampening ring, so dampening with not much key travel reduction.

If something like this exist for Alps, it will make life make easier. However with the current Alps stem design, no one has ever thought of a solution yet.

cookie

09 Nov 2016, 16:33

Do you have the exact JTK sliders or those from aliexpress?

Menuhin

09 Nov 2016, 16:58

cookie wrote: Do you have the exact JTK sliders or those from aliexpress?
I believe I have these from aliexpress - they're from TaoBao right? It looks like they're the stems from PLUM Topre-clone boards which are very quiet, but I haven't installed them on my HHKB yet.

With them my HHKB can have DSA Granite / Dolch or any GMK set! :lol:
But I'm just getting them for fun. Will get the Hypersphere instead as I want to have stock settings as much as possible.

Laser
emacs -nw

09 Nov 2016, 19:15

Can't wait for mine (also from aliexpress); I also have some self-made thin dampening rings - and I hope that groove ring helps limiting the travel reduction.

Detail from Aliexpress:
1478715112.png
1478715112.png (130.52 KiB) Viewed 13895 times
Last edited by Laser on 09 Nov 2016, 21:24, edited 1 time in total.

zslane

09 Nov 2016, 20:37

Menuhin wrote: I believe I have these from aliexpress - they're from TaoBao right? It looks like they're the stems from PLUM Topre-clone boards which are very quiet, but I haven't installed them on my HHKB yet.
Those are the same sliders as found on the Noppoo EC108 board, yes?

This made me realize that I don't need to harvest a perfectly good NovaTouch for its sliders, I can harvest my crappy Noppoo instead. :mrgreen:

Return to “News”