CHERRY release two new boards - MX Board 8.0 and MX Board 9.0

robin13867

20 Oct 2016, 13:08

Two new products were announced from CHERRY yesterday - see what you make of them!

MX Board 9.0 - http://cherry.co.uk/cid/new_products_CH ... ard_90.htm?

MX Board 8.0 - http://cherry.co.uk/cid/new_products_CH ... ard_80.htm?

Hit or miss? Destined for far eastern shores only currently...

Topre Enthusiast

20 Oct 2016, 13:30

The first one physically hurts me to look at.
Second one obviously draws its inspiration from Apple keyboards which I suppose is a safer bet but pretty uninspiring.

citrojohn

20 Oct 2016, 15:16

And I presume we're not mentioning the other thread to avoid hurting Robin's feelings! ;)

Personally I think the 8.0 looks quite elegant, and I rather like the Yoga Pad-esque foot (though I wouldn't let it touch anything vulnerable to scratching). I don't like the caps, but that's par for the course with backlit boards, and anyway I'm not the target market. As for the 9, it's like the 8's caps but even more so - I think it's bloomin' hideous, but they're not aiming it at me, they're going for the Razer market. I just hope they don't have some enormity like the ever-lit LED on the 6...

TuxKey
LLAP

20 Oct 2016, 15:34

002 wrote: The first one physically hurts me to look at.
Second one obviously draws its inspiration from Apple keyboards which I suppose is a safer bet but pretty uninspiring.
I must agree with 100% the first one is really awful.
And the second one does look like a Apple kloon keyboard.

i do wonder how they managed to put in a mechanical switch in such a thin construction?
Perhaps does new thinner mx-switches?

What is er to say????
Design and looks are in the eyes of the beholder :roll:

But i expected / hoped for sum innovation where it matters from Cherry like the feel of the switch :geek:
We have linear switches nothing much to innovate there, besides playing around with the actuation point and so on.
Then there are the tactile switches lots of room to make something new we have never seen before..

i would love a nice keyboard with cherry-mx purple a silent tactile switch that has the same tactile feel as a mx-clear but somehow lighter without sacrificing on tactile feel..

That would be a major break true...

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

20 Oct 2016, 17:27

Since I already trolled this topic here I won't do that again, essentially I agree with 002.

portugues-f88/cherry-launches-mx-board- ... ml#p333904

zslane

20 Oct 2016, 19:14

The first one is an abomination that only l33t gam3rz could love.

The second one is a TKL, which makes it a waste of good switches AFAIC.

davkol

21 Oct 2016, 13:28

I'm actually glad that they've made the first one, because there are people, who appreciate macro keys and some sort of a wheel as a volume control, and I'd rather recommend a Cherry Corp. board than something from a gaming-only brand.

The same thing about the "stylish" tenkeyless. It looks actually sleek and I expect quality to be on par with Cherry's reputation—in either case, it's the opposite of the countless gross budget boards. I mean, I think the exposed-plate case is a terrible idea, but this execution at least lacks the cheesy gimmicks of brands like Jizz or some-Chinese-characters etc.

cookie

21 Oct 2016, 14:51

First one looks like Razer had a threesome with a Saitek and Roccat all taped by a pervert unicorn.

Findecanor

21 Oct 2016, 16:01

One thing that I hate is when a keyboard has a large sloping front bezel. Either have a proper wrist rest or nothing there so that I could place my wrists on the desk or use a wrist rest of my own choosing. I hate it when you put your wrists there and they just slide down.
The design of the MX Board 6.0 had a very nice design, with a real wrist rest that was detachable. It also used magnets, which was a nice touch.

There are many "gaming keyboards" that look much worse than the MX Board 9.0 but the leading gaming keyboard makers are toning down the "gamer" aesthetic a bit in their later models. A large sloping front bezel was a design element that was more common in the late '90s/early 00's. Those things make this new keyboard look dated in comparison.

Elrick

22 Oct 2016, 10:00

zslane wrote: The first one is an abomination that only l33t gam3rz could love.

The second one is a TKL, which makes it a waste of good switches AFAIC.
What MORE could be said......... :D

Return to “News”