TrulyErgonomic finished manufacturering?

fossala
Elite +1

26 Nov 2011, 20:26

We are pleased to announce that we have finished manufacturing our initial limited production of the Truly Ergonomic Keyboard. We are also able to confirm we are going to have a very limited quantity of Truly Ergonomic Keyboards available for immediate purchase. These will be delivered within a few days of placing an order.
http://www.trulyergonomic.com/preorder.html
EDIT: Would post on GH as well but stupid site still won't let me post.

webwit
Wild Duck

26 Nov 2011, 20:52

We are pleased to announce that we have finished manufacturing our initial limited production of the Truly Ergonomic Keyboard. We are also able to confirm we are going to have a very limited quantity of Truly Ergonomic Keyboards available for immediate purchase. These will be delivered within a few days of placing an order.
:shock:

Jim66

27 Nov 2011, 11:00

I still think that it looks like it is going to be distinctly average to type on.

Plate mounted cherry, Meh.

hoggy

27 Nov 2011, 11:47

I haven't ordered one, but this is quite a milestone for the company. I'd be glad if all the people who gave them money actually got something after such a long wait.

I predict that a lot of the websites that featured these a year ago either -
won't be interested in reviewing it properly (well, all they did was rewrite a press release the 1st time around).
or will pan it because they haven't given themselves enough time to get used to the layout

fossala
Elite +1

27 Nov 2011, 11:48

I'm intreasted does anyone know the rrp?

hoggy

27 Nov 2011, 15:47

Immediate purchase? So what's with signing up to be notified when they're ready?

Gerk

27 Nov 2011, 21:39

They say immediate but then also say if you order ow you might get it for Xmas. Their idea of them meaning of immediate may be a lot different than ours it seems. For the first time I actually think they might ship these boards for real ... Let you know if one ever arrives :)

hoggy

30 Nov 2011, 23:50

Some more photos have appeared.

Continuing with the harsh treatment of the company, I note that it's a photo of a keyboard being assembled, but not one that is assembled...

I'd admit to not being too hot on modern electronic assembly, but that pcb looks a bit big... Do they plan to solder the switches and then cut the board?

webwit
Wild Duck

30 Nov 2011, 23:58

It doesn't fit the carefully 'shopped and airbrushed cases shown earlier.

sordna

01 Dec 2011, 04:13

I can see an elongated cut/perforation on the PCB, at the near edge of the plate.
So the PCB excess probably snaps off cleanly after soldering the switches.

Jim66

03 Dec 2011, 00:04

I haven't really been following the thread on GH, where are they claiming to be in the manufacturing/delivery process? Wasn't it supposed to be shipped at the end of November?

webwit
Wild Duck

03 Dec 2011, 02:52

It's on their blog on their website. Seems he ordered parts in at least enough quantity to make that photo, and has to put them together himself. Hmm, how much time does it cost to hand solder a Cherry board? I wonder how many pre-orders he has. Probably not thousands, hundreds if he is lucky. Now consider the Korean custom keyboards, with the same parts in play: plate, controller, case, switches, some bits. With those quantities it's quite costly to custom order plates and cases, and you do your own assembly. The Truly Ergonomics economic equation and pricing doesn't make sense.

Input Nirvana

03 Dec 2011, 17:48

"Doesn't make sense"

Most lies don't hold up to scrutiny.

Jim66

04 Dec 2011, 00:10

input nirvana wrote:"Doesn't make sense"

Most lies don't hold up to scrutiny.
I get board of bitching about TE; then I read the latest communication/glimmer of hope/lie from them and it renews my desire to bitch.

"No excuse" is often a phrase that gets thrown about when people are moaning about the service they have received from a company, however this I think it is entirely appropriate here. There really is no excuse for:

a). Why it has taken them so long? One or two set backs maybe, but a different issue ever month?
b). Why they have been so secretive?
c). Why they continue to provide their customers with unrealistic production/assembly/deliver dates?

Rant over
Last edited by Jim66 on 04 Dec 2011, 00:29, edited 1 time in total.

Input Nirvana

04 Dec 2011, 00:18

TE=Truly Egregious
TE=Terrible Entity
TE=Turd Eaters
TE=Nothing, nothing, and absolutely nothing

hoggy

04 Dec 2011, 06:42

They make me mad too.

I like the design of the product. I feel that it fits in a gap in the market.

But they blow it. Stupid claims about how wonderful it is, how it will solve problems it won't. Not helped by lazy websites 'reviewing' it.

In the future, I'd like to be able to say something like "I recommend the kinesis advantage, but if funds are short, why not try the TE"...

We get people who have real problems and are suffering, and I think the 'board could really help. I just hate the way they market the thing - there's no need for the BS.
Last edited by hoggy on 11 Dec 2011, 12:17, edited 1 time in total.

Input Nirvana

04 Dec 2011, 09:07

The only things that suck more than TE is my Dyson vacuum cleaner, and the toothless hooker down the street.

Gerk

05 Dec 2011, 17:54

I think they had false expectations for the whole time. They did do a hell of a job getting press and making a splash, but they did it 18 months too soon ... unless they needed to do that to fund the venture (if there is indeed "truly" a venture going on). I'm not sure if they are just full of crap and have been stringing everyone along, or if they are just that naive when it comes to manufacturing and the rest of the process that they think it will be a really quick thing and then turns out not to.

I have to say at this point if it's a hoax, they've gone to a lot of trouble. As webwit says I don't think they've gotten all that many pre-orders and considering they are not even continuing to take people's money and pre-orders I dunno what's going on over there. I suspect they might have done as webwit says and gotten some things manufactured across the pond and are maybe doing final assembly themselves ... or something.

They claim to have had the boards in hand at their "warehouse" (bedrooms?) for a little while now, but no news of anything actually shipping as of yet ...

They've had my money for some time now (over a year) and it is starting to feel like they might actually deliver these things at some point ... which I can't say that I've felt confident in all along. It almost feels like we're all part of some big poorly scripted reality show or something at this point ... but they did allow me to change my order to a model 109 w/ reds at the last minute LOL. Now if I ever get a keyboard of that description, even if it sucks, I'll probably do a happy dance.

Input Nirvana

06 Dec 2011, 00:44

A happy dance? A Truly Ergonomic happy dance? I hope so, don't want you injuring yourself with an un-ergonomic happy dance. Wouldn't be a happy dance at all then, would it?

My offer I made on GH still stands. Lets copy and make the Truly Ergonomic concept board for real. I don't feel we're stealing anything, I mean hey, Bush was president when those clowns started blowing smoke about the keyboard-that-shall-not-be-made.

webwit
Wild Duck

06 Dec 2011, 01:41

It's a guy, not a "they".

Gerk

06 Dec 2011, 04:16

Heh not a surprise. All the support emails are answered by "Michelle" ...

Input Nirvana

06 Dec 2011, 05:06

reference Webwit: "It's a guy"
+
reference Gerk: "It's Michelle"
=
Truly Ergonomic "Transvestite"

itlnstln

06 Dec 2011, 11:08

input nirvana wrote:reference Webwit: "It's a guy"
+
reference Gerk: "It's Michelle"
=
Truly Ergonomic "Transvestite"
Or French.

Just sayin'.

Gerk

06 Dec 2011, 18:26

French would be Michele, ce n'est pas?

kbdfr
The Tiproman

06 Dec 2011, 18:31

Gerk wrote:French would be Michele, ce n'est pas?
Michèle or Michelle for a woman, Michel for a man.
I wouldn't know for a transvestite, perhaps Michaelolita or so :P

By the way, "n'est-ce pas" would have been right ;)

sordna

06 Dec 2011, 19:26

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Truly-Erg ... 7953964280

from the latest post comments:

Finally some proofpics that it is not vapourware.

Has anyone gotten any notice about shipment yet? They said they received keyboards in Vancouver late November. Also it's concerning to me that they are not taking orders or preorders.

Gerk

06 Dec 2011, 20:03

I thought about n'est ce pas too, my French is rusty.

Nothing from them yet as far as shipping. I even asked them straight out via email but didn't get a reply to that query.

hoggy

06 Dec 2011, 20:45

I predict that they'll remove that post soon. Someone commented "When do they actually ship? They appear to have been at the warehouse a couple of weeks now.".

They deleted the post that I commented on... (not bitter or anything)

Gerk

06 Dec 2011, 22:48

That was me that posted the question. If they delete it they will regret it ... I have a way with fbml ;)

sordna

10 Dec 2011, 17:51

They didn't delete the comments. I'm reading on GH they sent an announcement, about shipping the pre-orders by December 14 ! So it looks like folks should get it before Christmas!

Hmm, could another delay happen? Let' me think ...

"We regret to inform you that our initial shipping carrier, UPS, did not meet our demanding specifications. They only have brown trucks. We were counting on blue trucks as well, to deliver the click-tactile version of our keyboards. Ensuring a holistic customer experience is important to our clients, and we are not willing to cut any corners. Rest assured we will be looking for a different carrier diligently. We will conclude on the best carrier to ship your Truly Ergonomic Keyboards by February 2012. So even though you will not have your keyboards by Christmas, you will have them by Easter for sure."

Return to “News”