So Porsche makes laptops now

User avatar
vivalarevolución
formerly prdlm2009

02 Apr 2017, 20:51

This showed up in an email from Newegg and I didn't think it was serious. Porsche seems to have designed a laptop. Looks like a fancier version of a Surface Book. Also, if I was to rate this on pure eye candy, it is one of the most attractive laptop that I have ever seen.

https://unlocked.newegg.com/reviews/rev ... ok-one-2-1

http://www.porsche-design.com/en/Men/Po ... k-One.html

twarren-porschedesignbookone-3.0.jpg
twarren-porschedesignbookone-3.0.jpg (574.02 KiB) Viewed 1891 times

User avatar
Daniel Beardsmore

02 Apr 2017, 21:14

Seriously? That just looks like an old PowerBook G4 from the early 2000s.

Findecanor

02 Apr 2017, 21:47

The \ key is 1×1u so you'll know that the ISO Enter key is going to suck.
There has got to be an OEM that made the innards with Porsche just doing to the exterior design, and with a mark-up for their name.

BTW. Acer had a line of Ferrari-branded laptops and Asus had a Lamborghini laptop, but those still had the name of the maker on them.

Slom

02 Apr 2017, 21:54

Note that this is made by "Porsche Design", not "Porsche"

User avatar
webwit
Wild Duck

02 Apr 2017, 22:01

Seems like a nice piece of kit, except that the douchebag "PORSCHE DESIGN" is staring in your face, all the time.

User avatar
seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

02 Apr 2017, 22:02

webwit wrote: Seems like a nice piece of kit, except that the douchebag "PORSCHE DESIGN" is staring in your face, all the time.
That's what your paying for. :lol:

User avatar
vivalarevolución
formerly prdlm2009

03 Apr 2017, 00:47

I should have posted some pre-emptive naysayer remarks, my bad.

User avatar
micrex22

03 Apr 2017, 00:57

*gasp, choke, cough*
No TrackPoint. Need... TrackPoint...
Image

There we go! :p

User avatar
vivalarevolución
formerly prdlm2009

03 Apr 2017, 03:45

micrex22 wrote: *gasp, choke, cough*
No TrackPoint. Need... TrackPoint...
Image

There we go! :p
I agree, I am at the point that the only laptops that I will consider are a Thinkpad or Dell business laptop with a pointing stick.
Findecanor wrote: The \ key is 1×1u so you'll know that the ISO Enter key is going to suck.
There has got to be an OEM that made the innards with Porsche just doing to the exterior design, and with a mark-up for their name.

BTW. Acer had a line of Ferrari-branded laptops and Asus had a Lamborghini laptop, but those still had the name of the maker on them.
The article states that the German electronics company called Trekstor got the ball rolling on this, approached Porsche Design for the design and name recognition. The manufacturing was done by a Taiwanese company called Quanta, which manufactures laptops for just about everybody.

User avatar
vivalarevolución
formerly prdlm2009

03 Apr 2017, 04:09

And so what makes this thing interesting is that display is detachable like the Surface Book, but also lays flat when the display is folded back against the keyboard without the annoying gap like the Surface Book. So that's cool, except for the part about about the $2500 price tag.
twarren-porschedesignbookone-13.0.jpg
twarren-porschedesignbookone-13.0.jpg (29.67 KiB) Viewed 1813 times

User avatar
Elrick

03 Apr 2017, 07:46

The Logo alone is definitely worth the money.

User avatar
Wodan
ISO Advocate

03 Apr 2017, 08:06

Slom wrote: Note that this is made by "Porsche Design", not "Porsche"
Thanks for pointing that out! People miss that point all the time ...
Elrick wrote: The Logo alone is definitely worth the money.
There is no PORSCHE logo on the notebook, just the Porsche Design branding!

They also make shoes:
Image
Kitchen knifes:
Image
Luggage:
Image

And so much more ...

Not a single Porsche logo spotted on any of them.

User avatar
cookie

03 Apr 2017, 10:32

@Wodan

I hope that the dull knives are not yours, dull knives are the real danger in the kitchen. Be safe!

User avatar
Khers

03 Apr 2017, 10:35

There is at least one Porsche Design product with a Porsche crest, the go-faster-striped 987 Cayman:
Image

User avatar
Wodan
ISO Advocate

03 Apr 2017, 10:38

cookie wrote: @Wodan

I hope that the dull knives are not yours, dull knives are the real danger in the kitchen. Be safe!
:oops: Third knife from the left is a cheapie from Aldi but my wife wouldn't let me replace it :(

User avatar
cookie

03 Apr 2017, 10:49

It has to "accidently" break, believe me this works all the time.

User avatar
Menuhin

03 Apr 2017, 12:02

Slom wrote: Note that this is made by "Porsche Design", not "Porsche"
Gold. ;)

User avatar
vivalarevolución
formerly prdlm2009

03 Apr 2017, 12:44

cookie wrote: @Wodan

I hope that the dull knives are not yours, dull knives are the real danger in the kitchen. Be safe!
Mine are all so dull, I need to sharpen them, except I don't have a knife sharpener at the moment.

User avatar
Elrick

05 Apr 2017, 03:07

Wodan wrote: Not a single Porsche logo spotted on any of them.
The word "Porsche" is the LOGO :lol: .

Look it up......

User avatar
Wodan
ISO Advocate

05 Apr 2017, 07:15

You don't get it...

PORSCHE DESIGN is the brand! There is a veeeery famous Porsche logo that is clearly no where on the notebook. Porsche Design is just a lifestyle brand for rich smugs with insecurities. Goes great with a Porsche car ;)

Findecanor

05 Apr 2017, 13:10

Porsche Design is owned by the same group that makes the car, obviously. It was originally intended for branded accessories to the car, but has since grown.

Ferdinand Porsche - who designed the car, is well-known as a designer also for other things though, so I think that the idea of making it more of its own brand is to capitalize on that.

User avatar
Stabilized

05 Apr 2017, 22:09

vivalarevolución wrote:
cookie wrote: @Wodan

I hope that the dull knives are not yours, dull knives are the real danger in the kitchen. Be safe!
Mine are all so dull, I need to sharpen them, except I don't have a knife sharpener at the moment.
Is there an official Deskthority kitchen knife thread out there? I flirted a bit with whetstones and the like, but I have bothered sharpening mine in months: I seem to make them duller each time :oops:

Just re: those Porsche Design knives, are they comfortable to use? Those handles look pretty horrendous!

codemonkeymike

06 Apr 2017, 01:06

Most companies with a main product and a large Design/UX team will have side projects, it is quite common.

User avatar
cookie

06 Apr 2017, 01:51

Stabilized wrote:
vivalarevolución wrote:
cookie wrote: @Wodan

I hope that the dull knives are not yours, dull knives are the real danger in the kitchen. Be safe!
Mine are all so dull, I need to sharpen them, except I don't have a knife sharpener at the moment.
Is there an official Deskthority kitchen knife thread out there? I flirted a bit with whetstones and the like, but I have bothered sharpening mine in months: I seem to make them duller each time :oops:

Just re: those Porsche Design knives, are they comfortable to use? Those handles look pretty horrendous!
I recommend you a 1000/3000 grit waterstone from Naniwa. You can maintain a solid sharpness for your daily use.
In case you have some chips in your edge, then you should consider a rougher stone to work out the chips faster.

I personally don't like the handles on the porsche design knives. I also don't like the overall performance of those knives considering that price tag. My Akitada Carbon Steel Santoku is just insanely sharp and it cost me 60 bugs! I am a sucker for carbon steel knives in general, extremely hard material holds the edge quite well and they are very easy to sharpen. They react to acids and proteins in food though, you have to take good care or they won't last very long.

User avatar
Elrick

06 Apr 2017, 02:30

Findecanor wrote: Porsche Design is owned by the same group that makes the car, obviously. It was originally intended for branded accessories to the car, but has since grown.

Ferdinand Porsche - who designed the car, is well-known as a designer also for other things though, so I think that the idea of making it more of its own brand is to capitalize on that.
Someone here on DT that knows that facts here, thank you for pointing out to all the ignorant ones who ONLY seem to think the "Porsche Logo" consists of the Shield Badge on their Cars :lol: .

Their very Name is a protected Trademark, which is recognised Worldwide.

Post Reply

Return to “News”