REΛLFORCE R2

_PixelNinja

20 Sep 2017, 03:00

It seems we will be seeing an update on Topre's REΛLFORCE line of keyboards this year, called the REΛLFORCE R2:

REΛLFORCE R2 Standard (R2-JPV-IV) in ivory

Underside

New packaging

From what I gather the new R2 line will be available in Japan in four variations, each in ivory and black as per the follwing :
• REΛLFORCE R2 Standard — ¥19,800, available from October ;
• REΛLFORCE R2 Silent — ¥21,300, available from November ;
• REΛLFORCE R2 APC (Actuation Point Changer) — ¥22,800, available from December ;
• REΛLFORCE R2 APC Silent — ¥24,800, available from December.

ANSI, TKL and wireless units should be following next year.
Last edited by _PixelNinja on 20 Sep 2017, 04:22, edited 1 time in total.

depletedvespene

20 Sep 2017, 03:17

“REΛLFORCE”? As in «the bar is so low, it fell of the ‘A’»? God, I hate when marketeers think they're inventive with typography and (worse) alphabets and instead they pull stunts like this. Sheesh. Just to be a dick, I'll call those "RELLFORCE" until they learn to do better.

Not that I don't want to try one of these keyboards, though...

(also, “REΛLFORCE ΣIΛENT”?)

Elrick

20 Sep 2017, 05:38

_PixelNinja wrote: ANSI, TKL and wireless units should be following next year.
Indeed, something interesting to follow during 2018 8-) .

E3E

20 Sep 2017, 05:41

What a shame. So it seems that they've decided to use the Realforce RGB chassis as the basis for their entire Realforce platform moving forward.

Ditching a timeless design that they've had for more than a decade. That's disappointing to say the least.

Elrick

20 Sep 2017, 05:41

depletedvespene wrote: “REΛLFORCE”? As in «the bar is so low, it fell of the ‘A’»? God, I hate when marketeers think they're inventive with typography and (worse) alphabets and instead they pull stunts like this. Sheesh. Just to be a dick, I'll call those "RELLFORCE" until they learn to do better.
Don't blame them for being Asian after all, English is a lesser spoken language on this planet when you compare the shear number of people actually NOT using it.

E3E

20 Sep 2017, 05:47

depletedvespene wrote: “REΛLFORCE”? As in «the bar is so low, it fell of the ‘A’»? God, I hate when marketeers think they're inventive with typography and (worse) alphabets and instead they pull stunts like this. Sheesh. Just to be a dick, I'll call those "RELLFORCE" until they learn to do better.

Have you ever seen a Realforce before? They've used that stylized A for a long time now. I find this humorous, because what's more appalling to me is the way the design of the actual keyboard has been radically changed.

hansichen

20 Sep 2017, 05:54

That's quite a big design downgrade, the old ones look classically good but the new ones are just ugly. No idea what they thought about the black part on the upper right corner...

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

20 Sep 2017, 06:45

The whole case reminds me of generic 1990's PC keyboards and looks flimsy...so I guess this is the "cheapification" of the Realforce series then. :roll: :|

Daniel Beardsmore

20 Sep 2017, 09:59

See, I felt that the traditional Realforce was oversized — I prefer keyboards to have as little wasted space as possible. The revised design does not have to be made out of excessively thin plastic, nor is there anything to say that they can't employ additional screw placements to prevent flex and creak (a centre screw through a hole in the PCB for example — the amount of bending and creaking when fitting Tai-Hao keycaps to a G80-3000 is truly alarming and it makes you wonder if it would really kill Cherry to better reinforce and support the PCB and case).

My verdict will be out on the new Realforce until I ever use one, and I doubt I actually will, not unless they make an ISO 75%.

depletedvespene

20 Sep 2017, 11:27

E3E wrote:

Have you ever seen a Realforce before? They've used that stylized A for a long time now. I find this humorous, because what's more appalling to me is the way the design of the actual keyboard has been radically changed.
Not many (and never right in front of me, instead of through a monitor), and I hadn't really registered that uppercase lambda until I saw it in that picture. Although it is true I need some sleep, my shitpost (shitpoint?) stands (and it's made even worse because, now that I think of it, that gimmick is old).

Now, after that impression has passed, I can look at the keyboard itself... and the others are right: these new keyboards look cheaper. I wonder if those are just prototypes (or if the company is, hopefully, looking for some ninja-feedback).

Findecanor

20 Sep 2017, 12:00

Is that black rectangle a LED window of glossy smoked plastic? Glossy plastic was trendy in the 00's and is out of style now.
I much prefer the nice, friendly rounded edges of the classic Realforce keyboards.

If they wanted to design a new case, they could have improved the cable gutter by making the exits in the corners be facing back instead of straight left or right, crossing the mouse's cable. Also, rubberise the flip-out feet.
depletedvespene wrote: I'll call those "RELLFORCE" until they learn to do better.
Yes, the letter Lambda used for the letter A in logos, it bugs me too. It is right up there with pronouncing × as "ecks", "rounding" 3840 to 4096 and using the word "surf" for data transfer cap.
I of course always pronounce Lambda as 'L'.

depletedvespene

20 Sep 2017, 12:05

Findecanor wrote: Yes, the letter Lambda used for the letter A in logos, it bugs me too. It is right up there with pronouncing × as "ecks", "rounding" 3840 to 4096 and using the word "surf" for data transfer cap.
I of course always pronounce Lambda as 'L'.
Perhaps we should take this to the logical extreme and include as many annoying marketeer gimmicks in the “REALFORCE” name as possible:

ЯËΛḶFØRCΣ

That'll be 45,678¥, please.

depletedvespene

20 Sep 2017, 12:10

(to be rebranded as ЯËΛŁFØRCΣ for some Slavic markets, of course)

_PixelNinja

20 Sep 2017, 12:47

Findecanor wrote: Also, rubberise the flip-out feet.
The risers themselves are made out of a grippy material, according to the article.

enrique.aliaga

20 Sep 2017, 15:37

I don't like the new "space saving" design that does away with the classic shapes of the current one. I guess I am lucky I got my Realforce 87U 10th Anniversary last week. Such a beautiful, classy design! I'd better start saving for a nice Hi-Pro before these new models hit the market.

Here it is, BTW. Isn't it lovely? :D

Last edited by enrique.aliaga on 21 Sep 2017, 04:45, edited 1 time in total.

zslane

20 Sep 2017, 19:21

So they changed one letter (the "A") to an A-like shape and you call that an annoying marketing gimmick? You guys need to get a grip.

I'm not a fan of the new case design either. It started with the Realforce RGB and now seems to have infected their entire product line going forward. I love the Realforce RGB for having MX-compatible stems and a standard 108-key ANSI layout. But I too wish they had kept the earlier, more robust case design.

TuxKey
LLAP

21 Sep 2017, 07:19

I don't mind a space saving design so much as I mind a cheap case. After reading and watching a few reviews on the rgb model which looks to be the same case I'm not enthusiastic about this change also no usb-c connection removable cable sum classy backlighting no rgb just a soft yellowish glow hahaha
The only thing I like is the silent part so I can enjoy the topre tok more

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zslane

21 Sep 2017, 22:49

I wonder if a Realforce RGB can be recased in a traditional Realforce case. I presume all the key spacing is exactly the same? Actually, the four switches above the numpad would be problematic. Never mind.

Elrick

22 Sep 2017, 03:49

enrique.aliaga wrote: Here it is, BTW. Isn't it lovely? :D

Damn right.

I've got two stored away downstairs and both are 55g, so I made sure when the 3RD WW starts that I've got my Babies protected and kept safe for that special day.

I'm a Realforce Doomsday Prepper :maverick: .

_PixelNinja

22 Sep 2017, 06:49

On a side note — the Topre RGB TKL is scheduled for release next year:

derzemel

22 Sep 2017, 08:20

I might be in the minority here, but I actually like the more modern look on the white keyboard. But I really dislike the black rectangle though.

As long as the quality stays the same I do not think we should worry that much.

Findecanor

22 Sep 2017, 16:29

Why I prefer the rounded edges is because they are nicer to touch than sharp corners. Your hands are going to spend a lot of time around them.

zslane

22 Sep 2017, 18:42

TKL? Feh. It basically replaces the NovaTouch, which is good for TKL users I suppose, but useless to me. I need a 60% version of the RGB. Will I have to wait another year for that? Or is Topre going to completely ignore the 60% market like they've always done?

The new case design is not as sturdy and solid as the old one. It creaks when you put any pressure on it, which the old one doesn't do. Sure, the bezels are narrower, which gives it a more "modern" look (i.e., like the Filco Majestouch-2), but with its sharp corners I don't think it is going to win any beauty awards any time soon.

_PixelNinja

22 Sep 2017, 23:01

zslane wrote: I need a 60% version of the RGB. Will I have to wait another year for that? Or is Topre going to completely ignore the 60% market like they've always done?
Don't hold your breath on that.

Topre Enthusiast

23 Sep 2017, 02:18

Some more pics and info here too:
http://www.4gamer.net/games/317/G031703/20170919028/

I think the larger spacebar for the Japanese versions will be well-received. I like the look of the silenced version the most and it's good that they appear to be sticking with PBT caps instead of offshoring their production to China or Taiwan like they were forced to do with the RGB caps.

It will be interesting to see the TKL and wireless versions next year.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Techno Trousers
100,000,000 actuations

23 Sep 2017, 02:25

I may be an old curmudgeon (spoiler: I am), but this RGB lighting crap is so played out now. Does every keyboard on earth really have to look like it belongs in a carnival sideshow?

Topre Enthusiast

23 Sep 2017, 03:03

I don't go for it either but I can certainly understand their appeal to the PC gaming crowd who are absolutely obsessed with RGB everything at the moment. It's a fad that can't die soon enough like 3D televisions and Virtual Reality headsets.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

_PixelNinja

23 Sep 2017, 03:13

Techno Trousers wrote: I may be an old curmudgeon (spoiler: I am), but this RGB lighting crap is so played out now. Does every keyboard on earth really have to look like it belongs in a carnival sideshow?
Not a fan of RGB lights either, but there is a real demand for it ATM. At least here you are going to have a choice and go with the R2 line if the RGB units are not your cup of cha.

Speaking of PBT keycaps — I wonder if the ANSI variants will have PBT spacebars this time or if they are going to throw ABS at us again.

Elrick

24 Sep 2017, 07:58

_PixelNinja wrote:
Techno Trousers wrote: Speaking of PBT keycaps — I wonder if the ANSI variants will have PBT spacebars this time or if they are going to throw ABS at us again.
If they are going full tilt towards RGB Vegas Lighting, then I fear that ABS spacerbars will be it's future.

I have several Ducky's in the house and some allow lighting through them and they all feel like ABS. Cheap shiny plastic kind of feeling. PBT would be rough and since Ducky has been going down that track, ABS will always be far easier to form any numbers of inclusions and shapes compared to anything made via PBT.

YES, Realforce has succumbed to the idiot dweebs wanting flashing lights 24/7 :roll: .

zslane

24 Sep 2017, 08:31

Elrick wrote: YES, Realforce has succumbed to the idiot dweebs wanting flashing lights 24/7 :roll: .
Apparently, those idiot dweebs spend a lot of money on keyboards. Not surprising that Topre wants to get in on that action. After all, idiot dweeb money is just as good as anyone else's. And probably easier to separate from them.

Return to “News”