Diatec announces Filco Majestouch 2 Tenkeyless 88 Series

webwit
Wild Duck

08 Mar 2011, 22:39

Julle wrote:New boards, same old problems. I just found out mine has a sticky switch, which is also mounted (deliberately?) to the opposite direction compared to the others. It is on the 88th key. Oh the irony.
It's the British key. It is supposed to be on the opposite direction.

sixty
Gasbag Guru

08 Mar 2011, 22:41

webwit wrote:
Julle wrote:New boards, same old problems. I just found out mine has a sticky switch, which is also mounted (deliberately?) to the opposite direction compared to the others. It is on the 88th key. Oh the irony.
It's the British key. It is supposed to be on the opposite direction.

Hah.

Edit: I found the post in question: http://geekhack.org/showthread.php?t=15027

Nask

09 Mar 2011, 00:56

About this great keyboard here : I'm organizing an Mass-Order on a French forum.
Of course it's on the French AZERTY keyboard but I have the 10% discount + *free red esc + free key puller* if I have at least 5 keyboards ordered.
I could do the same for other people on another version if there are 5/10 people interested in this keyboard. =]

webwit
Wild Duck

09 Mar 2011, 01:05

Sounds like a good deal. Does that include the Filco Majestouch 2 with 87 keys and the Cherry MX reds? Hmm, I wonder if there's a danger that shipping costs will eat the discount, since you'd have to ship internationally from French?

Nask

09 Mar 2011, 01:50

The fact is the discount is based on one product.
I don't know if this discount could work on the Majestouch2 87 in MX Red.
About shipping costs, it depends on where people interested in come from. =]

keyboardlover

09 Mar 2011, 02:11

Filco's quality is not so good eh? Nobody tell Ripster, he'll freak!

Julle

09 Mar 2011, 14:56

He is too busy bashing Noppoo to notice this. At least Noppoo's QA department does pass faulty switches.

Anyway, I contacted Keyboard Company about this. I'm not going to do any DIY maintenance to this board, brand new keyboards shouldn't ship to customers like this.

espritsc

10 Mar 2011, 04:11

Are those white keycaps really that white? They look so heavenly. I would like to see those keys on a black base. :)

Nikki_Case

10 Mar 2011, 12:45

espritsc wrote:Are those white keycaps really that white? They look so heavenly. I would like to see those keys on a black base. :)
In the older white Filco the white looks more creamy than pure white. I'd suspect the same for the newer Filcos too.

neo

10 Mar 2011, 20:18

Nikki_Case wrote:In the older white Filco the white looks more creamy than pure white. I'd suspect the same for the newer Filcos too.
No, keys on this new FKBN87MPWC are really white. I saw a picture somewhere comparing white FIlco (which is indeed creamy) and FKBN87MPWC.

neo

14 Mar 2011, 23:06

r99t

16 Mar 2011, 00:48

Pink & white FTW!

Flongo

18 Mar 2011, 01:17

I wonder if the pink keyboard comes with a unicorn or some rainbows.

Ahh if only I were a girl.

Julle

10 Apr 2011, 18:37

After two months of trying to fix the sticky switch in my Filco with mechanical repetition and the Keyboard Company gracefully ignoring my emails regarding the issue, I decided to grab the good old solder iron and see for myself, what the problem was. I desoldered the switch and took it apart. The slider itself was defective, the both sides having an asymmetrical profile and different thickness. Also, the other side of the slider had a notch of material removed whereas the other side didn't.

Actually, the slider is so badly deformed that it is a great mystery to me how that switch passed both Cherry and Filco quality control. At the moment, I don't have the means to provide a decent macro photo of the said slider, but I will try later when I get access to a camera.

Anyway, now I will have to harvest a switch from the Pause/Break key and replace that with something - probably a spare blue switch I have. Unfortunately I have run out of desoldering braid, so that's it for the evening.

ripster

10 Apr 2011, 19:22

I blame the Germans on that one.

sixty
Gasbag Guru

10 Apr 2011, 19:42

Must be caused by the tool they use when upside down placing that switch. Can't be a coincidence that the same issue happened on two boards, on the same key.

ripster

10 Apr 2011, 20:49

Could be. Maybe they reserve the Reject switches for the EU market?

Now you ARE aware the slider isn't symmetrical by design?

What color brown is it? I love conspiracy theories.

Julle

10 Apr 2011, 21:01

It's hard to explain without a picture. The slider is completely deformed as if something went wrong in the molding process and they never bothered to deburr the thing either.

candy

17 Apr 2011, 00:57

Is this available anywhere yet? Please?

webwit
Wild Duck

17 Apr 2011, 01:01

I don't know where, I haven't been looking for it, but maybe someone else knows.

candy

17 Apr 2011, 03:19

webwit wrote:I don't know where, I haven't been looking for it, but maybe someone else knows.
Thank you, after some googling around I found it from a couple places, with cherry blacks. Need to think it over a bit more.

http://www.aliexpress.com/fm-store/8033 ... -Pink.html

If anyone else was really interested.

webwit
Wild Duck

05 Aug 2011, 11:15

Looks better without the Chinese artwork above the cursor keys:

Filo Majestouch 2 Tenkeyless FKBN87M/PWE2

Return to “News”