Tai-Hao Olivette in Alps mount may return!

User avatar
abrahamstechnology

06 Jan 2019, 20:39

th alps.PNG
th alps.PNG (11.71 KiB) Viewed 2233 times
I messaged Tai-Hao about possibly bringing back their Olivette set in Alps mount, and they are considering it!
This set is perfect for the beige Dell AT101W and matches the case. Considering how many there are, 100 is an easy goal.
I recommend sending some E-mails to Tai-Hao showing your support for Olivette's return in Alps mount!

User avatar
Myoth

06 Jan 2019, 20:48

Are you sure you're not the only one wishing for this to make a come back ? I mean, it wasn't retired from success :lol:

User avatar
abrahamstechnology

06 Jan 2019, 21:41

Myoth wrote: Are you sure you're not the only one wishing for this to make a come back ? I mean, it wasn't retired from success :lol:
That was back in 2015 anyway.

Menuhin

06 Jan 2019, 22:23

I hope they also add things like 6u & 7u spacebar, 1.5u Alt & Ctrl, 1.75u right shift, etc to the set.

User avatar
Chyros

06 Jan 2019, 22:39

Menuhin wrote: I hope they also add things like 6u & 7u spacebar, 1.5u Alt & Ctrl, 1.75u right shift, etc to the set.
Plus ISO enter, BAE, stepped Caps Lock, and single-unit backspace r2 slash key. Think of how many Alps boards you can deck out with a set like that!

User avatar
abrahamstechnology

06 Jan 2019, 22:43

Menuhin wrote: I hope they also add things like 6u & 7u spacebar, 1.5u Alt & Ctrl, 1.75u right shift, etc to the set.
Same. It would be great to use these to replace Chicony and other pad printed keycaps.

Hak Foo

07 Jan 2019, 02:12

IMO, Olivette is the weakest of the Tai-Hao product line.

It has a weird frilly look that makes it look like bad dyesub, and the colours aren't a great nmatch for classic caps.

User avatar
Elrick

07 Jan 2019, 05:42

Hak Foo wrote: IMO, Olivette is the weakest of the Tai-Hao product line.

It has a weird frilly look that makes it look like bad dyesub, and the colours aren't a great nmatch for classic caps.
Hey, beggars can't be choosers in this instance :( .

They are the ONLY ones that provide Alps mount key-caps and anything that isn't dark or dreadfully colourful, is a good key-set to use with Conservatively (Beige) Designed Keyboards.

Just wondered why no one is making anymore beige key-sets for our Alps Keyboards? Would be fantastic in getting Beige PBT Alps key-sets again, without paying $400+USD for each.

User avatar
abrahamstechnology

08 Jan 2019, 01:36

Hak Foo wrote:
07 Jan 2019, 02:12
IMO, Olivette is the weakest of the Tai-Hao product line.

It has a weird frilly look that makes it look like bad dyesub, and the colours aren't a great nmatch for classic caps.
Better then these:
Image

User avatar
kakan

12 Jan 2019, 11:24

I would totally pick them up if they decide to make them again!

User avatar
abrahamstechnology

13 Jan 2019, 01:11

kakan wrote:
12 Jan 2019, 11:24
I would totally pick them up if they decide to make them again!
Be sure to shoot them a message!

User avatar
TheInverseKey

13 Jan 2019, 03:07

I know that I was able to pick up a set after the group buy because it seemed like they made some extra sets or people dropped out. Hopefully this round happens.(already sent them an email)

User avatar
Hypersphere

13 Jan 2019, 16:32

Menuhin wrote:
06 Jan 2019, 22:23
I hope they also add things like 6u & 7u spacebar, 1.5u Alt & Ctrl, 1.75u right shift, etc to the set.
Indeed. You would think they might realize that many of those interested in Alps keycaps would be installing them on vintage boards.

However, there is quite a variety of keycaps when considering the various vintage Alps-switch keyboards. For example, there are many variations on the BAE and the Right Bracket keys. Plus, the Zenith ZKB-2 has 1.75 Control and Alt keys, and the LE DC-2014 and Zenith Z-150 have 1.5x Right Shift keys.

I have been ordering Alps-mount keycaps from Matias. I like to use blank black caps for modifiers. Their sets include just about everything except the long spacebars on the Zenith Z-150 and LE DC-2014 and the long NumPad + key on the DC-2014.

I've sent an email to Tai-Hao!

Menuhin

13 Jan 2019, 17:46

Indeed if Tai-Hao Alps sets have those, the Alpine Winter set won't be that expensive any more.

DaOver

30 Jan 2019, 08:22

Yeah.
I got their Black, Dolch, Red Dolch set but Olivette never went back in stock.
Such a great vintage set but they never produced more of it, strange.
They got some new Tom Cat/Charcoal blue force colors, though.

tivz

11 Jul 2019, 12:18

Inspired by this thread I also sent them a message a couple of days ago, and got a promising reply today!
This from an email on July 11, 2019:
olivettes.jpg
olivettes.jpg (81.93 KiB) Viewed 1245 times

It looks like they are thinking about doing a production run in late summer or early fall 2019, and not a group buy. (Or at least make another Olivetti-type set, as they called it 'Olivetti' instead of 'Olivette'..?)

User avatar
Elrick

18 Jul 2019, 08:45

tivz wrote:
11 Jul 2019, 12:18
Inspired by this thread I also sent them a message a couple of days ago, and got a promising reply today!
This from an email on July 11, 2019:
olivettes.jpg


It looks like they are thinking about doing a production run in late summer or early fall 2019, and not a group buy. (Or at least make another Olivetti-type set, as they called it 'Olivetti' instead of 'Olivette'..?)
Something to HOPE for.

Thanks for the heads up here, much appreciated. At least there is one last company willing to invest into Alps key-cap production.

Tai Hao help to save us yet again from our ignorance and stupidity, when it comes to always supporting the Cherry Monstrosity.

User avatar
Redmaus
Gotta start somewhere

18 Jul 2019, 16:50

I'd really like a gray/white(think SGI) style Tai Hao alps set.

brainandforce

05 Aug 2019, 23:49

I'm interested in picking up a Tai Hao set for my AT101W at some point. Are the stabilizers compatible?

If they made any sort of Alps set in Cubic (especially Dolch) I'd be sold instantly.

User avatar
swampangel

07 Aug 2019, 00:03

brainandforce wrote:
05 Aug 2019, 23:49
I'm interested in picking up a Tai Hao set for my AT101W at some point. Are the stabilizers compatible?
The spacebar has cherry mounting holes for the stab clips, so you need a matias stabilizer set https://matias.store/products/stabilizer-and-hook-set Note the matias 6.25u spacebar wire is the same length, but not as "tall" as the at101w original. The smaller keys use regular alps stabs, I think they're compatible.

Their regular capslock keys aren't stepped, so for the at101w you need https://shop.tai-hao.com/products/alps-capslock which you can get in any colour you want, as long as it's black :|

Post Reply

Return to “News”