Diatec announces Limited Edition Filcos (Cherry MX Red)

v193r

04 Mar 2011, 17:00

is it me or do the red switches look slightly orange?

sixty
Gasbag Guru

04 Mar 2011, 17:01

Probably the Diatec guys to blame for messing up the pictures with wrong white balance. Ripster needs to teach them how to use that greycard.

They are blood red in reality.

ripster

05 Mar 2011, 02:18

Red is the toughest color.

And somebody answer me this. The OP says it's only available through the Diatec Website. Yet Bruce is getting at least one to give away (probably to one of the admins busily creating sock puppet accounts).

If I has Assburger's I'd be up all night about this contradiction.

sixty
Gasbag Guru

05 Mar 2011, 02:26

Well, that is what Diatec is writing on their Japanese site. Looking at the Chinese sources it does not seem limited at all. It is most likely similar to the Ducky Year of The Tiger board. Says limited but is available in thousands.

Bruce on the other hand, confirms the limited edition in a private conversation with us:
Bruce wrote:{...}as they are a true limited
edition and very much in demand {...}
Edit: took me 5 times to get the quote code working properly on my own forum. Time to head home and sleep.

_PixelNinja

05 Mar 2011, 05:07

The lucky person who wins the giveaway should go with one of these even just to try out. I'm guessing the resale value could be high, no?

I've only used blues so far... I wouldn't mind trying out reds - I'm switch curious.

keyboardlover

05 Mar 2011, 05:15

In my experience having discussions with Asian OEMs, they don't seem to tell the truth very often...

espritsc

06 Mar 2011, 09:36

So looking at Diatec's website, I assume they are out of the Cherry Red keyboards ever since they started the sale March 1st?

neo

06 Mar 2011, 11:36

espritsc wrote:So looking at Diatec's website, I assume they are out of the Cherry Red keyboards ever since they started the sale March 1st?
Tenkeyless ANSI is sold out, but full-size ANSI and both Japanese versions are in stock:
http://www.diatec.co.jp/shop/list.php?cate_c=1

Victheslik

07 Mar 2011, 09:13

I heard that Bruce from Keyboard Co was going to recieve a shipment of the tenkeyless however I was wondering if anyone here knew a potential ETA on the chances of purcashing one in the states or if you know a website that would ship to USA. I saw one Australian website, but it seems they don't ship internationally. Thanks again for the help.

pita

07 Mar 2011, 10:59

How about ArmyGroup, I thought I saw it showing up on their site.

Victheslik

07 Mar 2011, 11:10

If I remember correctly the one that is available on armygroup.tw actually has chinese characters printed on the keycaps already? Upon closer inspection while searching their website

http://translate.google.com/translate?j ... Fid%3D6092

You could see that the photograph of the keyboard has the chinese characters on it... (although it is the last picture down)

I suppose I have to wait and see :) ~ ! ! !

Victheslik

08 Mar 2011, 19:59

NewGuy

08 Mar 2011, 20:05

Oh wow, I thought I had missed out on these with them being a limited edition. What do you think the chances are of The Keyboard Company still having stock after the 19th? (while I never win anything, it seems silly to order one now…)

sixty
Gasbag Guru

08 Mar 2011, 20:07

NewGuy wrote:Oh wow, I thought I had missed out on these with them being a limited edition. What do you think the chances are of The Keyboard Company still having stock after the 19th? (while I never win anything, it seems silly to order one now…)
Probably low. I can tell you that they are holding back one of these boards for our contest, but besides that I am sure they will sell out rather quickly. Then again, if you end up winning one I'm sure it would not be hard to resell it again either ;)

NewGuy

08 Mar 2011, 20:14

Hm, I'm not sure whether to go for one or not. While I understand that MX Red switches are very different compared to MX Blue, I'm not sure how well suited mechanical keyboards are at all for gaming after buying and returning a Razer BlackWidow Ultimate.

While it's advantageous for typing to have the actuation 2mm down rather than at the bottom of the keystroke, it seems like gaming is better suited to membrane keyboards where it only activates when you bottom out (as you typically do when gaming) and allows for double-tapping with very little travel rather than having to let it up much higher first.

I'm sure that a lot of you here probably think it's a superfluous feature, but if the keys were backlit at that price, I'd be a lot happier spending that kind of money on one…

sixty
Gasbag Guru

08 Mar 2011, 20:15

If anything, MX reds should be the most suited for double tapping.

Peter

08 Mar 2011, 20:21

IMO, the problem with Cherry Blacks is the force required to keep them just around the activation-point.
I'm so sure that reds are the answer to the problem that I have defied my wife's orders and put aside funds to buy a couple of these .. I just KNOW I will love the light feel !!

NewGuy

08 Mar 2011, 20:47

Peter wrote:IMO, the problem with Cherry Blacks is the force required to keep them just around the activation-point.
I'm so sure that reds are the answer to the problem that I have defied my wife's orders and put aside funds to buy a couple of these .. I just KNOW I will love the light feel !!
See, that's why I'm concerned that Reds won't be the answer. Of course there are different types of games, but if you're playing an FPS for example, your movement is on the WASD keys and you are holding them down to move—bottoming out.

Lets say for the sake of argument that you have to raise the key 1mm up past the actuation point to ensure you cleanly "release" the key.

To double-tap a bottomed out key on a membrane keyboard, you are already at the actuation point and just raise up 1mm and bottom out again.

With a mechanical, you have to raise up 3mm from bottoming out to go 1mm past the actuation point and then push down 1mm to hit it. So you're moving 4mm total compared to 2mm with a membrane keyboard once you've already bottomed out.

It's also possible to not lift your finger off the key enough with a mechanical keyboard. As soon as you raise your finger with a membrane keyboard, it stops. With a mechanical keyboard you have 2mm travel where the key is still technically held down.

I have found that with the tactile switches at least, they have a tendency to stick unless you lift your finger completely off the key. This is something I do when typing, but not when gaming where you're bottoming out the keys all the time and so the key sometimes registers as being held down when I don't intend it to be.

I loved the MX Blue switches for typing, and I'm sure I'd like most of the cherry switches for it as well, but I'm not yet convinced of their suitability for gaming.

vuga419

08 Mar 2011, 22:04

I really wanted to try a cherry red keyboard, but for $164, I'm not so sure anymore, seems kinda steep, but then again, it is limited, and has reds

wanabe

08 Mar 2011, 22:31

so is the difference between the one on amazon and the "limited - R" the wasd keys, keypuller, and gray logo?

sixty
Gasbag Guru

08 Mar 2011, 22:32

It might not include the keycaps and the keypuller. I am sure the logo will be the same though.

gorb

08 Mar 2011, 22:49

I ordered a tenkeyless one this morning from amazon. I didn't mind the blacks and am currently using browns, but I'm sure the reds will work out just fine for me.

Victheslik

09 Mar 2011, 07:04

Quoted from an email with Bruce from keyboardco

"There are red wasd and a key puller in the box. As listed on Diatec, yes.
The Amazon stock stays in the USA for you guys - even if we run out here. But the appetite for Filco in USA has surprised me a little, they are all selling fast,."

wanabe

09 Mar 2011, 07:18

seems like there was a lot of pent up demand for them, and I think Bruce got the timing just right

NewGuy

09 Mar 2011, 10:14

Wow, I just noticed that the prices at The Keyboard Company were without VAT. That puts the prices up to being over 50% more than they are selling them for at Amazon, equivalent to $250 for the Tenkeyless, $270 for the full board. Whether it's good for gaming or not, I can't justify that kind of money when the keyboard doesn't even have things like a removable USB cord or backlighting on the keys.

And there was me just thinking that I might buy one this morning too. (the reason why I was back at the site) :(

British

09 Mar 2011, 10:41

NewGuy wrote:I loved the MX Blue switches for typing, and I'm sure I'd like most of the cherry switches for it as well, but I'm not yet convinced of their suitability for gaming.
I have no issue with gaming, be it on browns or reds (MMORPG/FPS).

Cyclonechuah

13 Mar 2011, 16:18

Personally i would think for typing experience, it's better that you use those brown which have a small bump that tells you when you touch typing the key, so this would actually assist you to improve your touch typing experience.

Red would be more like hybrid, for gaming as well as touch type, but i think red is getting popular just because it's still rare in mechanical keyboard.

nebiki

13 Mar 2011, 17:58

i wish i knew why thekeyboardco ships it through amazon to the US for WAY less than the 130gpb listed on their site. would have really wanted to give it a shot. looks nice, although i'm not quite sure if i should go for the reds for my first mechanical keyboard.

webwit
Wild Duck

13 Mar 2011, 18:00

European import costs and taxes, I think.

NewGuy

13 Mar 2011, 18:14

nebiki wrote:i wish i knew why thekeyboardco ships it through amazon to the US for WAY less than the 130gpb listed on their site. would have really wanted to give it a shot. looks nice, although i'm not quite sure if i should go for the reds for my first mechanical keyboard.
Keep in mind, those prices are without VAT so it's actually £150/170 depending on which model you go for.

Return to “News”