Omron Funds Neurological Research on Keyboard Switches

joebeazelman

12 Feb 2022, 07:44

I stumbled upon an interesting research funded by Omron on the mechanical parameters of keyboard switches and how they influence the user's neurological states such as attention and reaction time. The objective is to develop and evaluate methods for gathering scientific data in order effectively to design, manufacture and market keyboard switches as described by this creepy excerpt:
Given the relevance of brain state information for the objective evaluation of products in neuromarketing, its measurement may be useful for evaluating the mechanical parameters of industrial products. In particular, we focused on incorporating brain states into the evaluation of the mechanical parameters of mechanical keyboard switches.
Given how out-of-touch the general industry is about keyboards, it's encouraging to know it's getting enough attention to merit formal research. This study, however, still shows the industry's cluelessness. It focuses on gamers instead of hobbyist, typists and enthusiasts. Omron would have been better served by the massive wealth of information on this site without the expense of a study.

https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10 ... 44449/full
Last edited by joebeazelman on 18 Feb 2022, 05:53, edited 3 times in total.

Muirium
µ

12 Feb 2022, 09:49

Loaded link, expecting to see date in the 1980s… 2021!??! Surprised!

Wonder what they're up to? (Bring back Omron keyswitches!)

joebeazelman

12 Feb 2022, 22:28

No. Bring back a proper Alps SKCM clone. LOL!

hellothere

12 Feb 2022, 23:28

Muirium wrote:
(Bring back Omron keyswitches!)
Done.

SK-8K

13 Feb 2022, 03:02

They will get mediocre results unless they test their old B3G-S switches.

Hak Foo

13 Feb 2022, 03:57

I suspect they target "gamer" because it's a marketable demographic. "Oh,Steve's a GAMER, I'll buy him this $130 ball of RGB and mediocre switches as a holiday gift!"

"Professional keyboard jockeys" -- writers, programmers, secretaries, etc.-- are seen as an unaddressable market. Many of them are at the whims of corporate IT and provisioning policy, which boils down to "Dell included a $3 rubber-dome in the box, isn't that good enough?

I wonder if this will change in a post-Covid economy, because many people got spoiled by being able to use personal kit when working from home. I could see "make my workspace as comfortable as it is at home if you want me back in the office."

Muirium
µ

13 Feb 2022, 12:30

Most typists don't care what they type on. That's always been the problem. Gamers take their "rig" as more a part of their identity, so are a ripe market for garish glowing doohickeys, in "muscular" designs, covered with GAMERFONT. Not all gamers, but plenty enough, as we all see when looking at new to market mechs.

Are those new Omron switches any good? Certainly explains their interest in a bit of (marketing) research like this.

davkol

14 Feb 2022, 10:44

hellothere wrote:
12 Feb 2022, 23:28
Muirium wrote:
(Bring back Omron keyswitches!)
Done.
There's that and Romer-G… Omron B3K series

Muirium
µ

14 Feb 2022, 10:52

Vaguely remember hearing about those. Any good either?

Of all the old firms still around in this game, Omron has the mechanical chops to make good switches again. If they maybe aimed a little higher than the backlit zombie apocalypse keyboard set. :roll:

SK-8K

15 Feb 2022, 03:49

Muirium wrote:
13 Feb 2022, 12:30

Are those new Omron switches any good? Certainly explains their interest in a bit of (marketing) research like this.
Feels like MX Brown, chatters, no keycap availability.

Elrick

15 Feb 2022, 04:47

Muirium wrote:
14 Feb 2022, 10:52
Of all the old firms still around in this game, Omron has the mechanical chops to make good switches again. If they maybe aimed a little higher than the backlit zombie apocalypse keyboard set. :roll:
The downside is that they will build and market, specific Key-caps that shall only fit their own switches. Just look at their previous Romer-Gs.

Omron won't have the desire to launch a REAL typist keyboard here because there's next to no profit in it for them.

Gamer-junk has a potential to fill their bank accounts easily. Afraid, most of that money shall be put forth into PR exclusively and produce another useless keyboard design, for the Gamer-masses.

Muirium
µ

15 Feb 2022, 13:14

Yeah, alright, they’re off in the other direction entirely. Pity. It won’t pay off like they expect. Lots of stiff Chinese competition in the radioactive turd business.

Elrick

17 Feb 2022, 10:02

Muirium wrote:
15 Feb 2022, 13:14
Lots of stiff Chinese competition in the radioactive turd business.
As long as it blinks and changes colour for these companies, they might as well start printing the money - 24/7.

Like elsewhere on Earth.

Return to “News”