Cherry MX Black Clear Top (Nixie Blacks)

RBithrey

03 Nov 2022, 17:36

Another week, another special MX release.

https://www.cherrymx.de/en/cherry-mx/mx ... r-top.html

Lalaland124

03 Nov 2022, 18:39

RBithrey wrote:
03 Nov 2022, 17:36
Another week, another special MX release.

https://www.cherrymx.de/en/cherry-mx/mx ... r-top.html

Could have seen that one coming.

Muirium
µ

03 Nov 2022, 18:53

You say that like it’s a bad thing. Doing bugger all for years on end is a bad thing, like they’ve done until now. ;)

But are these any smoother than regular, scuff, shuff, scratchtastic, MX black? How close are they to the OG, besides the clear shell? That is the question.

Findecanor

03 Nov 2022, 21:00

To me, the top of the MX Black Clear-Top looks more milky than the housing on the original Nixie.
Good if there a simple way for collectors to tell them apart, at least... :P

headphone_jack

04 Nov 2022, 20:25

Reposted from another thread:

Wow, clear top MX blacks. Wake me up when Cherry does something actually interesting.

I mean, what do people think makes nixies so special? Heavy use over many years combined with unworn housing tooling is the working theory as far as I understand it. My guess with these repros is Cherry just used their regular MX black housings shot with transparent plastic to get that sweet sweet kustom money. Cannot wait to see people's complaints when they realize they've paid a huge premium for normal blacks.

Muirium
µ

04 Nov 2022, 22:13

Why are we duplicating our own posts on 2 threads? Shall I just merge them?

gianni

04 Nov 2022, 22:17

Will the new nixie be identical to the old one? I suppose that they were smooth, and with a good deep sound, which they can presumably replicate easily given that they know all the specs??

Muirium
µ

04 Nov 2022, 22:32

That, my friend, would be so nice as to be miraculous. My money’s on: scruffy modern blacks. Clear lids because we’re all just drooling morons. Yay product!

It’ll read nice on a rando Chinese keyboard product page at least. Can just picture the hot takes now: “Guyz, gotta break it: Nixons aren’t all they’re made out to be. Im like meh.”

paperWasp

05 Nov 2022, 10:44

Weren't those almost 65g meant for people coming from mechanical typewriter world?
Who is interested these days? Maybe karatists hardening their fingers for nukite style fight?

Muirium
µ

05 Nov 2022, 12:08

People used to post about 100% MX grey custom builds. Whatever happened to those guys? Can they still type?

morbid42

06 Nov 2022, 09:54

So they gonna manufacture MX for the rest of this century?

Elrick

10 Nov 2022, 03:31

headphone_jack wrote:
Wow, clear top MX blacks. Wake me up when Cherry does something actually interesting.
Like a working smooth switch, that seems beyond their capability here. Maybe in another Dimension, they might actually be quite decent.
headphone_jack wrote:
Cannot wait to see people's complaints when they realize they've paid a huge premium for normal blacks.
The story of Cherry MX in general. Everyone gets loaded with fake praise by lying/paid reviewers, whom you wouldn't trust to be around your own kids under any circumstance.

That is how Corporates sell their junk in the 21st Century. It's now more desperate by them to stay relevant, simply because their great Enemy, known as China, has finally developed and made quite decent switches for far lower costs.

Quite desperate that Cherry seems to need to resell past switches today, trying to sell that unobtainable feel, lost long ago by them.

Muirium
µ

10 Nov 2022, 11:57

Assuming they're just MX blacks, Cherry will maybe do us all a favour and reduce the market price for genuine Nixies by convincing newcomers they are just snake oil bollocks; like theirs. Well, fingers crossed! I could really use about sixty of the OG. :D

Return to “News”