Corsair is buying Drop

Findecanor

17 Jul 2023, 18:32

Corsair's press-release:
Drop will remain a separate brand within CORSAIR and all existing warranties, purchases and customer support requests will continue to be handled directly by the team at Drop.
Drop's blog
Drop will continue as a brand, team and community within Corsair. You may already know that Corsair also owns Elgato, Origin and SCUF brands, which continue to operate independently.

Muirium
µ

17 Jul 2023, 19:00

And so they're buying Geekhack, too?

785an

17 Jul 2023, 19:06

It will be interesting to see how this will affect Geekhack.

Findecanor

17 Jul 2023, 19:42

Posted on Reddit:
[–]drop_official Drop / Massdrop [score hidden] 34 minutes ago
geekhack, being under the Drop umbrella, was included in the purchase. We expect no changes to geekhack for the time being, but will of course share if/when that changes.

XMIT
[ XMIT ]

17 Jul 2023, 21:32

April 1st was ages ago. What gives?

mmm

17 Jul 2023, 22:04

785an wrote:
17 Jul 2023, 19:06
It will be interesting to see how this will affect Geekhack.
Hopefully better than another keyboard-related forum that was recently-ish acquired

ifohancroft

19 Jul 2023, 12:50

Personally, I'm hoping for the following:

- Drop will remain the same
- Geekhack will remain the same
- Corsair will start offering better keyboards. At least with other plate mounting styles besides just plate mounting. I don't know if it's realistic to hope that they will start producing metal case keyboards, and definitely not realistic to hope that they will start using open source firmware. I mean it never hurts to have more high quality mass produced keyboards.

Muirium
µ

19 Jul 2023, 13:47

I’ve done my share of hoping through the years. Sign me up for a stiff shot of “man, we thought it was bad under MassDrop but they well and truly ruined that place like a two dollar girl of ill-repute.” It’s my version of Pascal’s wager. Glass half empty? The only way is up! ;)

ifohancroft

20 Jul 2023, 17:00

Muirium wrote:
19 Jul 2023, 13:47
I’ve done my share of hoping through the years. Sign me up for a stiff shot of “man, we thought it was bad under MassDrop but they well and truly ruined that place like a two dollar girl of ill-repute.” It’s my version of Pascal’s wager. Glass half empty? The only way is up! ;)
You are probably right. I guess since I obviously don't want things to go downhill, hoping is my default state, so I guess I just keep hoping until they screw things up, so I don't have to have it constantly in the back of my mind and worry about it :D

Return to “News”