HHKB Studio

Findecanor

25 Oct 2023, 18:57

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/hhkb-studio

Trackpoint. Kailh hot-swap mechanical linear "silent box", not Topre.
Four "gesture pads": touch-sensitive strips along the sides and front, for e.g. scrolling.

webwit
Wild Duck

26 Oct 2023, 11:21

Almost qHack... getting there.

Findecanor

26 Oct 2023, 12:09

Speaking of which ... Was the MiniGuru ever released?

wobbled

26 Oct 2023, 12:58

Not Topre, Not interested

depletedvespene

26 Oct 2023, 13:37

Not a good form factor.
Not a good physical layout.
And now... no "good feeling of oneness" switch, either.

Seems to me that the only thing distinguishing this keeb from a cheap-ass clone is the brand name slapped on it. Not even the integrated mouse-cl◉t manages to make an impression of "improvement".

depletedvespene

26 Oct 2023, 14:05

Findecanor wrote:
25 Oct 2023, 18:57
A little gold nugget at 2:22: “Studio is the first in the Happy Hacking keyboard series to use mechanical switches”.

That settles it, then: Topre-based keyboards aren't mechanical; manufacturer says so. Snotty HHKB-lovers who have been insisting in saying otherwise for years have now been officially disavowed. :mrgreen:

Findecanor

26 Oct 2023, 14:58

The manuals and specs are up. I see no mention anywhere if the middle mouse button can be configured to be a scroll-toggle like the middle button on Thinkpads.
The config program is available only for Mac and MS-Windows. t looks as if configurations are stored on the keyboard, not requiring a program to run in the background, but I think that is something that needs to be clarified.

Completely unimportant information: The narrator sounds like Peter von Gomm: a voice actor and youtuber who lives in Tokyo. (Yes, I'm a total weeb who subscribes to his channel for some reason...)

Muirium
µ

26 Oct 2023, 15:53

If it ain't Topre, it ain't HHKB.

zrrion

26 Oct 2023, 22:38

depletedvespene wrote:
26 Oct 2023, 14:05
That settles it, then: Topre-based keyboards aren't mechanical; manufacturer says so.
well of course they aren't mechanical, they're capacitive :y

Muirium
µ

27 Oct 2023, 15:04

I’m guessing Fujitsu's PFU, which owns the HHKB brand, has been itching to go elsewhere ever since the biggest change they could get out of Topre was a more bulbous case design. The HHKB as we know it is a Topre product: they make the PCB, the domes, the sliders and the springs. Not to mention the caps, of course. Getting touchpads on the thing wasn't going to fly at Topre. The consequence then is you must go elsewhere for absolutely everything in the keyboard.

Quite how an HHKB branded Kailh 60% will sell is an interesting experiment, I'll grant them that. No doubt it's "provocatively" priced.

wobbled

27 Oct 2023, 15:27

Worth pointing out that PFU has this as just another product line (like hhkb lite and hhkb professional) they will still be using topre for their professional line of products thankfully.

Muirium
µ

27 Oct 2023, 16:08

True. I unintentionally implied they've split up with Topre for good. Fortunately that's not the case. Topre evidently doesn't demand exclusivity as their OEM. But this keyboard, if successful, will be a taste of more to come.

wobbled

27 Oct 2023, 16:54

I think it’s a massive shame there’s no topre version, that would be quite the keyboard, even if they need to make it wired

webwit
Wild Duck

27 Oct 2023, 19:29

Those gesture pads sound really cool. I really liked that about the Fingerworks Touchstream, especially for cursor movement.

Muirium
µ

28 Oct 2023, 10:12

And yet the phone touchscreens now so ubiquitous around the world—Fingerworks' living legacy—are always painful for cursor movement and text selection. The irony!

depletedvespene

29 Oct 2023, 04:01

Muirium wrote:
28 Oct 2023, 10:12
And yet the phone touchscreens now so ubiquitous around the world—Fingerworks' living legacy—are always painful for cursor movement and text selection. The irony!
Painful cursor movement and text selection is the core of the HHKB experience, so that part does check out. :mrgreen:

Muirium
µ

29 Oct 2023, 10:20

You should see me on mine. I never leave home row for fundamental basics like text editing. And I've made macros for whole sequences of manipulations, mapped to Control and a single key apiece. Use them even on the big boards, as they're so much quicker than wandering off to find the inverted T. ;)

Re: Fingerworks. If iOS had Karabiner, I would be unstoppable! :lol:

Findecanor

29 Oct 2023, 16:15

If you're watching it on Youtube, you could enable subtitles and set them to be auto-translated to English ... although it leaves a bit to be desired.

• Apparently there's also a Japanese-layout version of the Studio.
• The 6u space bar is non-standard: it has stabiliser spacing like a 6.25u space bar.

Edit: Sorry. stabiliser spacing.
Last edited by Findecanor on 30 Oct 2023, 11:23, edited 1 time in total.

Muirium
µ

30 Oct 2023, 09:57

Findecanor wrote:
29 Oct 2023, 16:15
• The 6u space bar is non-standard: it has spacing like a 6.25u space bar.
What that mean? Are they talking about the stabilisers?

If the spacebar is non-standard in any way, that’s a huge mistake. This board’s crying out for all those MX-mount “HHKB layout” keysets out there for a showy upgrade in caps. Might as well embrace the opportunity instead of denying it from the start.

webwit
Wild Duck

30 Oct 2023, 10:46

That won't work anyway because of the keys around the trackpoint?

Muirium
µ

30 Oct 2023, 12:22

Nothing a little artful drilling can’t overcome there. I’ve seen that done quite nicely, though nothing I’d dare try on nice caps myself!

Return to “News”