[News] Tesoro M7 LED - Now also with brown switches

sixty
Gasbag Guru

01 Feb 2011, 08:47

Today, Xenics announced that after the holidays in Korea, they will be releasing their M7 illuminated mechanical keyboard with the choice between tactile non-click switches (MX Brown) and linear switches (MX Black), in addition to their MX Blue keyboard that has already been on the market since last year.

The Xenics M7 is rebranded and distributed under the name of XArmor U9BL in the US. It is likely that after the keyboard hits Korean shops, we will soon see XArmor offer the same variants for the American market.

Via KBDMania

Mrinterface

03 Feb 2011, 14:43

That looks like a very very nice complete offering.

Am I seeing this correctly? What kind of audio option is that? Just a hub?

Can't read korean :-(

itlnstln

03 Feb 2011, 20:11

That's one of the better "gaming" keyboards I have seen. Too bad they all end up looking like toys.

sixty
Gasbag Guru

03 Feb 2011, 20:15

itlnstln wrote:That's one of the better "gaming" keyboards I have seen. Too bad they all end up looking like toys.
Yeah man, I dunno why we just can't have the looks of - say a Filco with the additional features of these boards. Why do they always have to come up with a glossy case, extra bezels or even extra glowing leds? I don't get it.

ynih

03 Feb 2011, 22:59

Looks schnazzy! I like the way the backlit is done on this keyboard...

nanu

04 Feb 2011, 03:11

wall of text the more you read..
sixty wrote:Yeah man, I dunno why we just can't have the looks of - say a Filco with the additional features of these boards. Why do they always have to come up with a glossy case, extra bezels or even extra glowing leds? I don't get it.
Re: extra bezels/elaborate case design, I agree. More inside corners, more time lost to cleaning/dissatisfaction due to dirt from not cleaning. At least until we get microbots in "powder" form that'd clean shit for you (why stop there, they'd clean your human body in more than one place, too).

I have personally come to this point where I mostly like indicator LEDs that are lit by exception. Keep it off unless I need to pay attention, or if there is no other means of indicating an error condition or abnormal state.

But the purpose on keyboards is for lighting. I guess I might forgive the people who want LEDs to learn how to touch type a new layout in the dark (new also in the case they've never touch-typed before). I'm not quite a gamer, but there might exist other people who are gamers and happen to game in the dark, often get up to go pee because they can't game dehydrated (or do, by choice of caffeineism/alcoholism) and need to return before their eyes readjust, so a lit keyboard would be fine! As long as they are dim enough, I can see why normal people might want them.

Everyone's needs and lifestyle are different. It sucks to see OEMs catering to those needs different from mine, but that just makes offerings that coincide with my preferences look more appealing!
MrInterface wrote:That looks like a very very nice complete offering.

sixty
Gasbag Guru

04 Feb 2011, 17:52

nanu wrote: But the purpose on keyboards is for lighting. I guess I might forgive the people who want LEDs to learn how to touch type a new layout in the dark (new also in the case they've never touch-typed before).
Shouldn't it be exactly the opposite? I mean you are supposed to learn faster if you never look/are unable to look at the keys?

nanu

04 Feb 2011, 21:30

There's a difference between encountering frustration in learning, and choosing not to learn.* The unlearned people would tend to stay this way, given always-visible key labels. I initially cheated by looking, for around a month maybe. If it's too overwhelming of a change at once, slow learners can lose motivation. It all comes down to when you choose to not look anymore.

* to be butthurt to the extent that you give up would then revert you into the second group, therefore making this argument all bullshit

Minskleip

04 Feb 2011, 22:33

You need muscle memory to type properly (you shouldn't type letters, but words), and it doesn't sound very smart to just smash random blank keys untill you get the letter you want. When you have some idea of where the letters are, then you can stop looking and start writing.

itlnstln

04 Feb 2011, 22:42

Minskleip wrote: When you have some idea of where the letters are, then you can stop looking and start writing.
I think this is why blank keys helped me. I already knew how to touch type, my problem was looking at the keys and not the screen. I just needed that extra "something" to break that habit.

bakageta

14 Feb 2011, 14:34

I can understand the value of backlit keys for gaming, even for touch typists. I haven't needed to look at my keyboard for many years, and even switched to a blank keyboard a while back. While gaming, though, I keep my right hand on my mouse, which makes pressing random hotkeys like I, O, K and such fairly difficult. Sure, I could take the time to drop the mouse, move my right hand to the proper location, and hit the key normally, but prior to a blank keyboard I'd just take a quick glance down and stab at the correct key with my left hand. I'd assume people would have a similar problem if they game in the dark.

Return to “News”