Cherry reveals new MX switch!

Ascaii
The Beard

04 Dec 2013, 11:19

http://www.play3r.net/news/cherry-prese ... umination/

Interesting, apparently Corsair and Cherry paired up to make this optimized switch for backlighting with SMD RGB Leds.

Muirium
µ

04 Dec 2013, 11:21

Aha! 100% RGB here we come.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

04 Dec 2013, 11:29

CeeSA

04 Dec 2013, 11:38

hmm, to late for the ping award 2013 ....

Topre Enthusiast

04 Dec 2013, 11:38

CeeSA wrote:hmm, to late for the ping award 2013 ....
:lol: So brave

matt3o
-[°_°]-

04 Dec 2013, 11:40

CeeSA wrote:hmm, to late for the ping award 2013 ....
you are my new best superhero

kint

04 Dec 2013, 11:43

Really interesting.
Looks like someone watched Matias closely regarding the clear casing.
Fake vintage transparent black switches anyone? :evilgeek:

Broadmonkey
Fancy Rank

04 Dec 2013, 11:57

I'll take 200, please.

Kurk

04 Dec 2013, 12:03

Mmh, so no LED holes in this switch but probably a light-conducting piece of plastic which is also part of the bottom housing.

JBert

04 Dec 2013, 14:16

Indeed, the LED is supposed to be mounted as SMD underneath the switch.

7bit

04 Dec 2013, 14:26

I call it MXREDC (MX red clear case) and it will be available soon ....
:ugeek:

Broadmonkey
Fancy Rank

04 Dec 2013, 14:32

More pics
Source

webwit
Wild Duck

04 Dec 2013, 15:25

So finally Cherry "innovates", and it's about how to turn your keyboard into a xmas tree more effectively? This is like Pirelli inventing a new tire, exactly like before but this time pink and trimmed with decorative led lights.

Broadmonkey
Fancy Rank

04 Dec 2013, 15:44

They do state they have a roadmap for the MX switch, so I guess we are not done seeing new MX stuff, but I fear the next "innovative" product in the lineup will be an Ergo Clear (needed, but not innovative), if not, they are bloody idiots! ...having consumers knocking on their door, wanting to buy one of their more popular "products" in a ready made form and just laughing in their face and demanding a 750k order is lunacy! oh, hello GMK!

But I wonder if there is still room for an internal diode in the new MX RGB switches or if they have just filled the space up with plastic. Also why the hell has they made a new switch and not optimized it more? you know, so that it would throw the light better at least.

b3n

04 Dec 2013, 16:29

matt3o
-[°_°]-

04 Dec 2013, 16:44

Merry Christmas!

oh and it seems to be RED (light linear) only.

JBert

04 Dec 2013, 16:46

Maybe they are "salami slicing". Next month, another innovation: RGB brown!

webwit
Wild Duck

04 Dec 2013, 16:56

Well I guess gamers is where the money is. It's kinda funny how slow Cherry is. When this hobby started peaking because of the gamers getting attracted, they got rid of double shot to concentrate even more on making cheap flat non-mechanical apple like keyboards. That was the moment they should have known where the market was heading. This is a bit late, but better late than never. I hope they have something more planned than just promoting their existing setup in different, shiny ways for the gamers.

Broadmonkey
Fancy Rank

04 Dec 2013, 17:17

It could be used as a clever way of recognising FN layers on an already backlit keyboard. Like having the LEDs default white and then turning the specific layer keys RED when the FN key is pressed, blue on FN2 etc.

Vierax

04 Dec 2013, 17:25

agreed with webwit : I don't see the point of those new MX except for lightning addicts. I always think that it's the useless part of any tuning. They choose to use a Red switch wisely because most tuning-sensible people are gamers (not all of them) but as you said they missed the train and they have to prove they don't forget how to make high-quality keyboards.
The link provided by b3n shows that the mold is the same than the classic black enclosure, diode/led room included.
The enthusiasm must be bigger in GH than here.

Thank's Ceesa for the laugh : Cherry is the first nominated to the DT Ping Award 2014 :lol:

Edit : Broadmonkey has a point but it can be done in a discrete way with a unique RGB led for layers.

rindorbrot

04 Dec 2013, 17:35

Well let's see how Corsair will ruin them in a crazy gaming kiddie keyboard ;)

Broadmonkey
Fancy Rank

04 Dec 2013, 17:37

Yeah, if there is a huge hardware giant like Corsair talking to you, I guess.
We are listening.JPG
We are listening.JPG (27.58 KiB) Viewed 7412 times

CeeSA

04 Dec 2013, 17:41

the RGB video from cherry is another fail. Not only embezzling some switchtypes, look at the staggaring WASD. Seems you have to use your ring finger for W now ;)

And exclusively for Corsair.... I doubt they will sell them severally.

Sad thing, that Cherry needs Corsair and Gaming machinery to bring something "new" beside the 3.0 keyboard...

7bit

04 Dec 2013, 18:04

webwit wrote:Well I guess gamers is where the money is. It's kinda funny how slow Cherry is. When this hobby started peaking because of the gamers getting attracted, they got rid of double shot to concentrate even more on making cheap flat non-mechanical apple like keyboards. That was the moment they should have known where the market was heading. This is a bit late, but better late than never. I hope they have something more planned than just promoting their existing setup in different, shiny ways for the gamers.
Since a few years, Cherry is owned by ZF (Zahnradfabrik Friedrichshafen). They make gear boxes and other stuff for the automobile industry. Cherry is only one step to broaden their automotive business. I'm quite sure they are not interested in keyboards at all. They changed the Cherry logo, and introduced a very cheap new keyboard line which nobody wants to buy. We can be glad they sold the key cap tools to GMK instead if just trashing them and we can be glad they still make switches.
:roll:

Daniel Beardsmore

04 Dec 2013, 21:45

matt3o wrote:

oh and it seems to be RED (light linear) only.
TFA wrote:CHERRY offers the new MX RGB switches in the four familiar versions … [ Blue, Brown, Red, Black ]
TFA~2 wrote:The worlds first MILLION COLOUR MX KEYSWITCH
That's funny. I mean, who else did they imagine is going to be creating MX keyswitches? Or does "MX keyswitch" include the clones, now?

Just to get this straight — how many colours can a normal Cherry MX switch achieve with an RGB LED? I felt sure I'd seen keyboards with RGB LEDs, but since those surely have more than two legs (minimum four I would have thought) how did anyone pull off RGB in a two-leg LED?

Muirium
µ

04 Dec 2013, 21:55

RGB LEDs are indeed 4 legged, and quite a bit too large to fit into a regular MX switch. MTL recently hacked some in, but drilling is required to fit that rectangular peg into a small round hole.

As for commercial keyboards: I've heard of RGB LED lit space bars (hello Ducky) but not across all keys. I assume the spacebar lighting is done independently of the switch.

Daniel Beardsmore

04 Dec 2013, 22:25

I've seen it across all switches, but it may have been a hack job by an enthusiast. I don't know that I've ever seen it from a commercial product — probably just wishful thinking. It's kind of sad though that there's enough demand for it to warrant a new switch production line when the stupid company can't even ship more clears to WASD for another year. Seriously, WTF?

I agree, too bad it missed the ping award, just like it missed the point of a keyboard switch.

Broadmonkey
Fancy Rank

04 Dec 2013, 22:33

I think it must have been a mod by an enthusiast, since RGB LEDs definitely needs more than two legs.
But I genuinely think there is a place in the market for this kind of switch, just like Matias' and I take my hat off for him for being the original creator of this kind of switch (or is he?).

Cherry is just being ZF when they can't deliver Clear Switches, they just make really bad business decisions and can't think two days ahead! ...or maybe it's because they are using the clear molds to create the yet to be unveiled Ergo Clear!!!!

Muirium
µ

04 Dec 2013, 22:39

The MX clear situation is seriously FUBAR. My favourite explanation is that someone paid Cherry to keep WASD on the hook. But, like all conspiracy theories, I doubt Cherry is competent enough to pull it off and keep the secret while doing so.

Broadmonkey
Fancy Rank

04 Dec 2013, 22:43

Who should that be?

Return to “News”