Free keycap set for 1500th post (ended)

HaaTa
Master Kiibohd Hunter

06 Feb 2011, 01:42

Spam? I do no such thing :P

webwit
Wild Duck

06 Feb 2011, 01:46

Only 454 posts to go. Are you getting excited yet?

Minskleip

06 Feb 2011, 01:55

Yes, I'm such a tool haha. A different approach to such competitions is to not anounce them before the winner has been selected. That'll remove spam, but also anticipation..

sixty
Gasbag Guru

06 Feb 2011, 01:56

Next competition will be random winner btw :D

Edit: the prize will be better too :?

Minskleip

06 Feb 2011, 01:59

The prize is cool! I personally wouldn't have much use for any of the choises, but a prize is a prize!

There is a large mega forum in Norway which has random competitions where the winner is the second millionth member etc. Mega forums suck.

webwit
Wild Duck

06 Feb 2011, 02:35

Minskleip wrote:The prize is cool! I personally wouldn't have much use for any of the choises, but a prize is a prize!

There is a large mega forum in Norway which has random competitions where the winner is the second millionth member etc. Mega forums suck.
There's a third prize to pick, which is a "Bluecube" PS/2 to USB adapter and a key puller.

Giving a prize to the xth member is a nice promotion, but on the other hand you snub all your earlier members.

Minskleip

06 Feb 2011, 02:45

webwit wrote:
Minskleip wrote:The prize is cool! I personally wouldn't have much use for any of the choises, but a prize is a prize!

There's a third prize to pick, which is a "Bluecube" PS/2 to USB adapter and a key puller.

Giving a prize to the xth member is a nice promotion, but on the other hand you snub all your earlier members.
That I would have more use for; I swapped all the keys in my Customizer with a piece of string :D

Giving a prize to the xth member is a bit skleiped; it's not like the xth customer which could be anybody.

ynih

06 Feb 2011, 06:55

Minskleip wrote:On the subject of polish: keycap nipple piercings 8-)

How can one cheat if not camping the 1500th post?
Oh my...that'd be a nice surprise to find on a first date...

Minskleip

06 Feb 2011, 13:06

I'd rather have a soft boob than a keycap in my face haha

7bit

06 Feb 2011, 15:14

sixty wrote:
Minskleip wrote:Out to find some powertools ...

I'm fascinated with 7bit's Geekhack automation
Its really cool. Especially if you are subscribed to the voting newsletter. His script even emails you a copy of the results every 12 hours or something. I think he parses the "new pm" notification emails and runs the script based on that.
Minskleip wrote:Yeah I know, I get his emails every day. Does he use curl or something and then discard all the irrelevant html? Or mayhe he use one of the modules on Cpan to create a stateful "web fetcher" and ditto..

Ah yes the notification emails. Then it's quite easy if he is using his own mail server. Just setup a pipe in .forward to his script.
Ha Ha!

It is more simple than you think. In fact I run the script manually. It's a wildly hacked together collection of perl and shell scripts actually.

I could have fully automatized it, but there are so little changes, that an automated version would be overkill. So, when enough mesage-notifications arrived, I run the mailing script.

Minskleip

06 Feb 2011, 16:11

That should make sixty feel better ;)

7bit

06 Feb 2011, 20:05

This is the 1111-th post, right?
Attachments
1111th_post_.png
1111th_post_.png (80.2 KiB) Viewed 5805 times

sixty
Gasbag Guru

06 Feb 2011, 20:27

We should hide the post counter until this is over :D

7bit

06 Feb 2011, 20:31

sixty wrote:We should hide the post counter until this is over :D
This would be unfair!

How should I know when I have to fire up my script to spa^wpost all that stuff I held back, in order to get my colored Model-M modifier key caps?

Minskleip

06 Feb 2011, 21:57

Will the coal received by 7bit be keyboard compatible? ;)

7bit

07 Feb 2011, 20:45

1234 --- it will be plain sailing!
Attachments
1234th_post_.png
1234th_post_.png (88.95 KiB) Viewed 5779 times

webwit
Wild Duck

07 Feb 2011, 20:56

You should have started a new topic for that..

bugfix

07 Feb 2011, 20:57

@7bit why does deskthority look so shitty in your browser?

sixty
Gasbag Guru

07 Feb 2011, 20:58

Because he disables everything, literally.

7bit

07 Feb 2011, 21:00

webwit wrote:You should have started a new topic for that..
Not necessary anymore. All tests went through successfully!

BTW: what happens if I post the 1500-th post and someone deletes his 1499-th a fraction of a second afterwards. Does it still count or will my post become the 1499-th?
bugfix wrote:@7bit why does deskthority look so shitty in your browser?
sixty wrote:Because he disables everything, literally.
To me, (sorry for that) it looks shitty if I enable everything.

I don't like a white background to start with.
Last edited by 7bit on 07 Feb 2011, 21:04, edited 2 times in total.

webwit
Wild Duck

07 Feb 2011, 21:01

It reminds me of Mosaic 0.9b

webwit
Wild Duck

07 Feb 2011, 21:01

7bit wrote:
webwit wrote:You should have started a new topic for that..
Not necessary anymore. All tests went through successfully!

BTW: what happens if I post the 1500-th post and someone deletes his 1499-th a fraction of a second afterwards. Does it still count or will my post become the 1499-th?
Ehm, you just found out my strategy to win this thing.

sixty
Gasbag Guru

07 Feb 2011, 21:02

When we reach 1480, we are going to set the board to require captcha input for every post until 1500. :oops:

Minskleip

07 Feb 2011, 21:10

Really? Would make it more fair, true. Those captsjas are always so hard haha.

sixty
Gasbag Guru

07 Feb 2011, 21:15

Sadly it was a lie. I have no idea how to enable that option. OR DO I?

Minskleip

07 Feb 2011, 21:22

Ask 7bit ;)

7bit

07 Feb 2011, 21:27

webwit wrote:It reminds me of Mosaic 0.9b
Mosaic was the first GUI browser I used. Then came Netscape, then Mozilla, now Firefox.

After all, the web looks still the same ...;-)
sixty wrote:When we reach 1480, we are going to set the board to require captcha input for every post until 1500. :oops:
What makes you think you will be able to upgrade your site in time?
sixty wrote:Sadly it was a lie. I have no idea how to enable that option. OR DO I?
LOL!

webwit
Wild Duck

07 Feb 2011, 21:32

Mosaic was the first GUI browser I used. Then came Netscape, then Mozilla, now Firefox.
Me too. I remember when I was a computer science student and Marc Andreessen/NCSA started to distribute it. Reception was not very good. It used graphics, which was bad for bandwidth, and didn't offer more than gopher. It was a time you were flamed for having sigs over 4 lines of text.

Minskleip

07 Feb 2011, 21:36

webwit wrote:It reminds me of Mosaic 0.9b
It looks like links -g

Lol look at that error, what do facebook think they are. Jerks..

7bit

07 Feb 2011, 21:38

webwit wrote:
Me too. I remember when I was a computer science student and Marc Andreessen/NCSA started to distribute it. Reception was not very good. It used graphics, which was bad for bandwidth, and didn't offer more than gopher. It was a time you were flamed for having sigs over 4 lines of text.
I remember that yoiu had to enter the URL in a pop-up window which was hidden in the menu. The line showing

Code: Select all

http://deskthority.net/posting.php?mode=quote&f=10&p=1272
was just an info, not editable!

Also you had to enter http://deskthority.net/ not just deskthority.net

Return to “News”