KeyReMap4MacBook is now Karabiner

Hypersphere

11 Jul 2014, 17:33

KeyReMap4MacBook is now Karabiner. This excellent and free keyboard remapping software has long suffered from an unwieldy name. Finally, the name has been changed to something much more manageable. I highly recommend this software for anyone who uses a Mac and who would like to customize their keyboard layout without installing a Teensy or other circuit board. The software is quite powerful and easy to use.

https://pqrs.org/osx/karabiner/

There is a companion program called "Seil" available at the same site for the Caps Lock key and some international keys in PC keyboards.

Muirium
µ

11 Jul 2014, 18:44

Phew, that name alone was enough to put me off ever installing it. (You can tell a snob like me could never handle Linux…)

Now it's just the /System/Extensions side of it that puts me off. Much like VirtualBox.

But for anyone using unprogrammable USB keyboards (including their Mac's built in one) this software is a godsend.

Hypersphere

11 Jul 2014, 19:45

Muirium wrote: Phew, that name alone was enough to put me off ever installing it. (You can tell a snob like me could never handle Linux…)

Now it's just the /System/Extensions side of it that puts me off. Much like VirtualBox.

But for anyone using unprogrammable USB keyboards (including their Mac's built in one) this software is a godsend.
I can enthusiastically recommend this software. Note that it can be used alone or in conjunction with other remapping solutions. I have not encountered any problems with it, and it works beautifully.

vivalarevolución
formerly prdlm2009

18 Jul 2014, 14:54

I recommend it as well. It's great for using with external keyboards that I have not figured out how to program (yet).

The name change really threw me off, though. I had no clue what the computer was asking me to install. Personally, I prefer the blunt and unwieldy name.

Hypersphere

18 Jul 2014, 15:26

prdlm2009 wrote: I recommend it as well. It's great for using with external keyboards that I have not figured out how to program (yet).

The name change really threw me off, though. I had no clue what the computer was asking me to install. Personally, I prefer the blunt and unwieldy name.
The name change took me by surprise as well -- that is what prompted me to post about the name change. I also wanted to share my positive experience with the program, regardless of what it is called.

Return to “News”