KSM wooden keyboard with Cherry MX

Input Nirvana

15 Jul 2011, 21:47

Also, depending on taste, wood can be stained or even coated in pigmented-transluecent lacquer for some exciting products. They don't offer that, but I'm throwing it out there as an idea. You can see examples on high-end furniture.

Input Nirvana

18 Jul 2011, 20:05

I'm arranging a group buy of wooden keycaps with the manufacturer. The selling of keycaps is not their current business model (only complete keyboards up to this point), so this is taking a little bit of massaging to put this together in a way that makes sense. I'm posting here, geekhack, maybe OCN, maybe HardForum...are there any other sites anyone knows of that should be included?

I am making a spreadsheet with the available woods/keycap sizes/prices that can be posted here within a week.

The option exists for custom keycaps and woods and legends, but I'm thinking if we go that route at this time, it will drastically delay (months) what can be a simple keycap order.

For now, you can go to their website and see the 8 woods, the keycap size/style is cylindrical.

Any wants, thoughts, questions, please post. :)

Input Nirvana

21 Aug 2011, 19:41

I've had a delay creating the ordering spreadsheet due to some process driven details, etc. I have just gotten the pricing, and a couple missing details so I can now format and create the spreadsheet. Fortunately, though it at first seemed to be insanely complicated, now it will now be fairly simple.

I'll line everything up, and forward to the manufacturer to be certain everything is correct, then post. In my mind, I'm envisioning an order placement date about the mid-October, so that gives everyone time to consider and place an order AND hopefully receive the the keys by mid-December.

We are looking at having some keys come blank from the manufacturer, and having them custom engraved by WASD Keyboards, which is very close to my location. So consider that as a strong option.

Also, because of order minimums, this may be a one-time order, so think ahead and purchase for yourself what you may want in a year, or a gifts to the keyboard nut in your life.

Sorry for the delay, but this needs to be correct the first time!

Input Nirvana

08 Sep 2011, 23:03

The wood key group buy info has been posted on Geekhack:

PLEASE USE THE INFORMATION BELOW:

Here is the pricing that is currently available from KSM. Please read the hyphen (-) notes below for additional price considerations to the matrix shown. The wood types available and the costs of each key individually and as a set are listed below. The keys as quoted come with an engraved legend, see photos for style. Keys can come with no legend, and/or be engraved by WASD Keyboards as an option. The keys are for Cherry MX switches. The wood keycaps have a lacquer coating.

-There may be a small price adjustment to reduce the cost, but that can't happen until the entire order is ready to go and KSM will decide how much (if any).
-There are delivery charges that are not calculated. They will be divided evenly 'per key' for the entire order. The larger the order, the less per key.
-The keys will come to California and be distributed from California to the final destination. Shipping charges will apply.
-Keys are available without legends, and there may be a reduction in price. This will depend on the order placed. A reduced price is not guaranteed at this time.
-Keys ordered without legends, to be engraved by WASD Keyboards will have a separate charge for the custom engraving by WASD Keyboards.
-KSM will need about 3-4 weeks to manufacture. Shipping time from Taiwan. Distribution time. Perhaps 5-6 weeks to get product from group order date.

FIRST COLUMN - Price per individual key.
SECOND COLUMN - Price per key for an entire keyboard set
THIRD COLUMN - Price per individual key. The "Stylish key top" are little figurine type tops made of wood, you can see these on their website.
KSM WOOD KEY PRICING.jpg
KSM WOOD KEY PRICING.jpg (89.73 KiB) Viewed 2559 times
KSM WOOD TYPES.jpg
KSM WOOD TYPES.jpg (135.14 KiB) Viewed 2559 times

webwit
Wild Duck

11 Sep 2011, 19:57

I want one single keytop of each type for the function key row, no legends.

Input Nirvana

11 Sep 2011, 20:47

Webwit:

1 - What type of wood?
2 - Quantity: All 16 keys in the function row, or just F1 through F12 (12 keys)?
3 - No legends for you is understood and confirmed.

webwit
Wild Duck

11 Sep 2011, 21:42

1 x red sandalwood
1 x teak
1 x douglas fir

3 keycaps total. With function row I meant the height of the keycap, presuming there are different heights. I plan to use these as ESC keys.

AvenZerg

17 Oct 2011, 18:58

if i got one of those keyboards i would probably be afraid to use it. and just hang it on the wall as a piece of decoration lol

Return to “News”