Pok3r, fully programmable 60%

yyelevenzz

03 Jun 2015, 04:08

Muirium wrote: Oh, I see, well spotted. I never disable any mods, just juggle them around. I set Caps Lock on my laptop's internal keyboard to Control for consistency with my HHKB and the rest. None of my boards require as much foolery as your Poker.

I wouldn't hold your breath on their customer support. It's evidently not aimed at being cross-platform. Which is daft in this day and age, but their choice.
Mac and Windows compatible.

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/vortex-pok ... t-keyboard

This is BS.

Hypersphere

05 Jun 2015, 02:31

Linux?

Regarding programming of the Poker 3, the manual is a bit ambiguous about the Right Control key. Is it possible to reprogram this key? This is the spot I use for a Fn key -- it's the closest to the position of Fn on the HHKB.

What about the Pn key? Could it be moved one space to the right? Then there would be spots on either side of the Spacebar for Alt and and OS keys.

If it were possible to remap Fn and Pn, I would be tempted by the Poker 3. I don't like Cherry switches or Cherry stabilizers, but it would be fun to dress up the board with any number of great Cherry-mount keycap sets.

Cherry1990

22 Aug 2015, 00:40

R_CTRL cannot be changed with FN or PN.
FN and PN can be changed with everything else.
I changed FN with L_CTRL and L_CTRL with CapsLock but I lost the CapsLock (not a big problem) and old FN is become another Win key (BIG problem - I do not use this key).

guide howto program your pok3r programming layers

Ah! I just bought my first Pok3r... Not easy to switch from a 104 keys full keyboard to this... little thing... I need more time... Probably a LOT of time...

A software to remap and save layers would be VERY welcome. Do it key by key is really silly and time consuming...

Hypersphere

22 Aug 2015, 01:57

I've been using keyboard remapping software. The best I've found thus far are Karabiner (OS X) and ATNsoft Key Manager (Windows). When I'm using a keyboard other than my HHKB Pro 2, I remap it to something as close as possible to the HHKB layout.
Last edited by Hypersphere on 19 Sep 2015, 03:02, edited 1 time in total.

zslane

09 Sep 2015, 21:03

If you think hooking up a Pok3r to a Mac is unsanctioned, try hooking it up to an iPad! It works, but not without its own set of special annoyances.

Tak Gaming

24 Dec 2015, 17:07

I love the Pok3r keyboard. I got the new version of the Poker 3 which has LEDS but doesnt come with PBT keycaps :( I changed from a corsair K95 and havent looked back. But i do sometimes miss my arrow keys and dedicated media keys! Heres a link to a full review i did. Pretty in depth :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tF7MVl93u-A

Hypersphere

24 Dec 2015, 17:59

I wanted to like the Pok3r, and I did find some improvements over the Poker II. Although the case aluminum case on mine wobbles and does not sit flat, I liked the extra heft and deeper sound. It seems that they might also have improved the stabilizers; they didn't seem as mushy as those in the previous version. Nevertheless, I cannot get past the Cherry mx switches, and although the board is said to be fully programmable, I was not able to get it set up optimally to emulate a HHKB layout. All this aside, I do like the 60% form factor, but I much prefer my HHKB Pro 2. However, in order to get some variety in this size of board, I have a couple of 60% projects on the back burner: one with Alps or Matias switches and the other with Zealio 65g switches. In addition, my wish list includes a 60% with Topre switches and mx-compatible stems.

zslane

24 Dec 2015, 18:52

Trying to get a Pok3r to emulate an HHKB seems as fruitless and unnecessary as trying to get an HHKB to emulate a Pok3r. Why emulate when you can just get the real thing?

BTW, the latest iOS update (9.2) has removed the annoying recurring popup alert associated with connecting a mech board via USB. Woot!

yyelevenzz

24 Dec 2015, 18:55

I haven't tried a HHKB yet but all this praise that keeps popping up makes me wanna buy it. I'm with you on a 60% 55g Topre keyboard with mx-compatible stems, but I would add bluetooth to that and metal construction. I would never want to go back to plastic.

Hypersphere

24 Dec 2015, 19:24

Why emulate? I suppose it is part of a recurring validation process. When you hear praise for something new that might, with some modification, serve as a replacement for something else with which you are familiar, you want to give it a try, just to see and be sure.
Last edited by Hypersphere on 24 Dec 2015, 19:31, edited 1 time in total.

Muirium
µ

24 Dec 2015, 19:29

The HHKB appealed to me ever since I first got into keyboards. The only reason it took me so long to get one was the nightmare that is buying one new in Europe. I ultimately imported mine from Japan, via America, hitching a ride in someone's luggage!

There is a strong chance that if the HHKB had been my first mech, that would have been game over for my interest in keyboards. I would have solved the problem so throughly, and quick, that I may well have drifted right off DT. In reality, my HHKB here was something like my 20th keyboard, and I'd already fallen deep for IBM by that point, so here I am!

zslane

24 Dec 2015, 21:04

The alt-history of Muirium taking an HHKB and running makes my brain hurt. Try to imagine Granite without his infuence. There would have been no Honey. Helvetica would have no champion!

Seriously, though, I'm glad things turned out as they did since I love Granite and Honey and would find my world half as interesting without them. I would have had to live with only Dolch and Space Cadet, which is quite doable, but not quite as satisfying.

Muirium
µ

24 Dec 2015, 21:27

To be fair, I got help from 002 to get my HHKB. Probably would have taken me even longer to get one via Smartimports or EK! The alt Mu story also requires more money. Tricky…

Hypersphere

31 Dec 2015, 17:33

Recently, I set up a KC60 with mx browns and its furnished purple-on-white/gray dye-sub PBT caps. This keyboard is deemed fully programmable. All keys on all layers (including the default layer 0) can be remapped using an online GUI configurator and reflashing the firmware using the TKB toolkit. Between the KC60 and the Pok3r, I prefer the KC60.

Return to “News”