Matias Linear Switch

zts

16 May 2015, 08:23

Hypersphere wrote: Enjoying my V60 Matias-switch boards, one with Matias Click and the other with Matias Quiet. I like them both, but overall I prefer the Matias Click. It seems more consistent and the dual aural/tactile feedback helps me type faster and more accurately than with the mostly tactile feedback from the Quiet switch. Haven't tried Matias linears yet. ...
I think you are spot on re. V60 Matias Click aural/tactile feedback. Honestly they are all enjoyable and pleasant to type on. The "linear" is also dampened so it's officially called "QL" for Quiet Linear. Otherwise there are no differences in housing, quality of keycaps or the "snap" when you put the keycaps back. Some color differences in switches:

Click switch (C) is whitish:
v60-c.jpeg
v60-c.jpeg (109.94 KiB) Viewed 2325 times

Quiet switch (Q) is grayish:
v60-q.jpeg
v60-q.jpeg (147.45 KiB) Viewed 2325 times
Quiet Linear switch (QL) is red:
v60-l.jpeg
v60-l.jpeg (135.62 KiB) Viewed 2325 times
Boxes:
v60-4.jpeg
v60-4.jpeg (413.9 KiB) Viewed 2325 times

Muirium
µ

16 May 2015, 12:16

Weird. Why put ALPS on the boxes? I thought Matias was taking credit for advancing these switches beyond where Alps abandoned them. And anyone buying switches is enough of a nerd to know Matias are Alps mount. Indeed, they have to be clued enough to know that Alps isn't just mountains!

The model names are clunky too. Overemphasis on quiet, which just makes things confusing. Click, Tactile, Linear. Done.

Edit: Oh those are boxes for the keyboards, not bare switches. Guess it makes more sense to warn about the mount there. But quit hoarding!

Chyros

16 May 2015, 12:29

Muirium wrote: Weird. Why put ALPS on the boxes? I thought Matias was taking credit for advancing these switches beyond where Alps abandoned them.
They even misspelled Alps :p . Still, the Matias switches are pretty much a complete clone of simplified Alps switches, just made with slightly different material types. It's not like they came up with the schematics or something.

Muirium
µ

16 May 2015, 12:34

True. But marketing is more important than reality when you're marketing.

Incidentally, the Matias Ergo Pro I'm reviewing has the "quiet click" GAAAAAARGH! I mean damped tactile switches. I'm surprised. They're quite different from the cream Alps in my (NIB) AEK II, and not in a good way. Too much trapdoor. Not enough flow. I wonder why people generally like them? Perhaps by comparing to MX instead of other Alps.

Chyros

16 May 2015, 12:42

I agree. I like Matiases, but the complicated Alps series is definitely more high-quality, IMO.

zts

16 May 2015, 21:14

Matias' packaging usually doesn't mention "Alps". I guess when a different company (KBParadise), uses Matias switches they mention both Matias and Alps to make sure buyers not confuse them with the rest (and majority) of their products that look almost identical (packaging, color scheme, housing) but are Cherry MX.

Spikebolt
√(4) != -2

19 May 2015, 15:31

I've been wanting to try the Matias Linear switches for a while. SOON!

Hypersphere

21 May 2015, 16:18

Finally, I've had an opportunity to try out a V60 board with Matias linears. The quietness of the switch itself seems to accentuate the rattle of the keycaps, and of course the great tactility of the Matias Click and Matias "Quiet Click" is gone.

I had hoped to like the Matias linear, but I think if I were to go with a linear switch, Cherry mx red or black would be as good if not better.

Back to Matias Click switches for me.

zts

21 May 2015, 17:59

Hypersphere wrote: Finally, I've had an opportunity to try out a V60 board with Matias linears. The quietness of the switch itself seems to accentuate the rattle of the keycaps, and of course the great tactility of the Matias Click and Matias "Quiet Click" is gone.

I had hoped to like the Matias linear, but I think if I were to go with a linear switch, Cherry mx red or black would be as good if not better.

Back to Matias Click switches for me.
It does OK for gaming but not so much for typing. But, yes, with the loss of tactile and aural feedback the keys rattle comes into foreground. I mostly experience the QL as maybe the travel is too short to show its positive qualities ... wonder if the switch would actually feel better without dampening.

Return to “News”