Steelseries Apex M80

7bit

09 Jan 2015, 18:24

Meh! No key caps will fit on these!
:mad:

Muirium
µ

09 Jan 2015, 20:35

Still, good to see Kaihua doing something more original than thieving Cherry's old design.

I'm not sure there is a good way to get even backlighting while being compatible with MX caps. Not that it really matters, as backlit boards don't work so great with opaque doubleshots or dyesubs anyway.

Findecanor

09 Jan 2015, 21:35

Oh I see in the page linked to that Kailh has a few variations of the same switch. There are those with 4 mm travel, tactile and clicky. No just linear. The force curves on the PG151001D01 is similar to Cherry MX Red, Brown and Blue.

There is also 3 mm Cherry MX-compatible.
Muirium wrote: I'm not sure there is a good way to get even backlighting while being compatible with MX caps. Not that it really matters, as backlit boards don't work so great with opaque doubleshots or dyesubs anyway.
Vortex did PBT+POM double-shot keycaps for backlighting, nominated in the 2014 DTA.
Instead of centred backlit legends, I would like to see MX switches rotated to the left with the legend in the top/left corner. If the key has a shifted symbol (such as those on the numeric row), then both left-justified symbols would be equally backlit.
Similarly, the Caps Lock key could have one LED under the Caps Lock legend and another LED on the opposite side of the key as indicator light.

Muirium
µ

09 Jan 2015, 21:41

Well I did say opaque doubleshots. Vortex's are translucent!

A lot of caps can be rotated 90º on MX. I agree that left aligned legends are a smarter idea than the silly stuff manufacturers have been up to. In fact, if Vortex made the appropriately aligned doubleshots for such a rotated switch keyboard, we could have an all round winning formula. Well, for those who like MX's feel and racket…

I do not hold my breath for the day Cherry addresses internal damping.

Findecanor

09 Jan 2015, 21:56

Muirium wrote: Well I did say opaque doubleshots. Vortex's are translucent!
Indeed, but I mentioned them because people often assume that half-translucent doubleshot PBT couldn't be made.
You no longer have to choose between having backlit or high quality keycaps.
7bit wrote: Meh! No key caps will fit on these!
:mad:
You could use an adapter for MX stems, but it would be like with Alps and Commodore 64 adapters: the caps would be higher even if the obstructing LED would be removed. Because the square Kailh stem is off centre by 1.5 mm, the Cherry MX keycap stem cylinder would have to be max 4.2 mm instead of 5.5 wide - if there wasn't any LED in the way.

Julle

15 Jan 2015, 15:05

Muirium wrote: Still, good to see Kaihua doing something more original than thieving Cherry's old design.
I'm guessing this is their take on the Omron (Orion Spark) switch. The design is very similar.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

15 Jan 2015, 16:51

Julle wrote:
Muirium wrote: Still, good to see Kaihua doing something more original than thieving Cherry's old design.
I'm guessing this is their take on the Omron (Orion Spark) switch. The design is very similar.
ninja'd

7bit

15 Jan 2015, 17:18

Boring!
:yawn:

Muirium
µ

15 Jan 2015, 18:29

Oh right. See, this is why I don't like IDing switches. Until I've used them, they all look alike to me. Or not, in this case…

Still, copying from another source now. Innovative!

Julle

16 Jan 2015, 04:04

Here's a gaudy video on the subject. Looks like this clone lacks the dual contact points of the Omron switch, otherwise this is some preeeetty familiar shit.

DerpyDash_xAD

21 Feb 2015, 18:51

That looks horrible. Nothing worse that shorter switches. Give us 5mm not 3mm!

Return to “News”