Leopold FC660M Keyboard Mini-Review

Hypersphere

27 Jul 2013, 00:47

Introduction

Detailed reviews of the Leopold FC660M have already appeared, and the features and specifications are available on the EliteKeyboards website. Therefore, this mini-review is mainly a summary of my impressions of the keyboard.

Switches, Stock Keycaps, and Profile

The FC660M is the new Leopold mini-keyboard with Cherry switches, as opposed to the FC660C, which has uniformly weighted (45 gram) Topre switches. According to EliteKeyboards, the FC660M is not merely a FC660C with Cherry switches substituted for Topre switches. Instead, the FC660M was designed from the ground up as a distinct keyboard. The FC660M is available from Elitekeyboards for $104, which is considerably less expensive than the FC660C, which sells for $189.

My keyboard had Cherry blue switches installed. The stock keycaps are dark charcoal-gray PBT with lasered gold-toned legends. For both the FC660M and FC660C, Leopold introduced a new profile called “step-subculture 2”, which is a low-profile keycap with a relatively flat surface. The CapsLock and Insert keys have LEDs.

Although I liked the slightly pebbly surface of the PBT keycaps, I found the gold legends on the dark charcoal-gray to be difficult to read, particularly in the low-light environment of my office. In addition, I prefer a two-tone color scheme to monochrome, both for aesthetics and for ease of navigation arising from the demarcation of color islands on the keyboard.

Consequently, I replaced the all the keycaps except the non-standard Spacebar using the PBT dye-sublimation white and gray Cyrillic sets from Originative. This customization required two gray sets in order to get an additional Left-Shift to replace the non-standard Right-Shift, which is the same size as a standard Left-Shift. I used a Menu key for the Fn key and a Down Arrow for the “Windows” key.

Because the Spacebar felt a bit light and sounded slightly noisy when typing, I lined the inside with adhesive rubber strips and installed 40A-R O-rings on the stems.

The result is shown in the image below, which also illustrates the layout. The new keycaps have a subtle velvet-like texture that remains dry to the touch even after hours of vigorous typing.

Layout, Fn Layer, and DIP Switches

The layout is shown in the above image (with custom keycaps). It represents an intermediate between a 60% and tenkeyless layout. The main typing area is mostly standard, except for a somewhat shorter Right-Shift, a single 1X “Windows” key on the left, and a Spacebar with non-standard stem spacing.

With the inclusion of dedicated Arrow keys along with Insert and Delete, the Fn layer is minimal and highly intuitive. For example, PgUp, PgDn, Home, and End correspond to Fn+ UpArrow, DownArrow, LeftArrow, and RightArrow. Fn+Q toggles Esc and Accent/Tilde, which toggles the LED on the Insert key.

DIP switches enable swapping Ctrl and CapsLock, Windows and Alt, Windows and Fn, or disabling the Windows key.

Size, Design, and Build Quality

Smaller than a TKL and, because of the dedicated Arrow, Insert, and Delete keys, somewhat larger than a 60% board, I believe that the FC660M has found the sweet spot for keyboard size and design. Some would argue that the isolated Insert and Delete keys look strange, but I quickly became accustomed to this and found that I use both keys frequently (albeit the Insert key much less often).

Build quality is superb. The case is true with no wobble, and the 700-gram board with rubberized pads and extensible feet sits firmly on the desk. Typing action is smooth, with a satisfying solid sound when bottoming out.

Overall Impressions

The FC660M is a sturdy and well designed mini keyboard. The main typing area is largely standard, and the inclusion of dedicated Arrow, Insert, and Delete keys along with a minimal and highly intuitive Fn layer enables touch typing with little or no need to consult a layout diagram. Key action is smooth, precise, and satisfying. My only quibble is that the non-standard Right-Shift and Spacebar make it somewhat difficult and expensive to replace the keycaps. Overall, the FC660M has become one of my favorite keyboards, preferable to my Filco MJ2 TKL Ninja and a close second to my IBM Model M SSK.
Attachments
fc660m-3.jpg
fc660m-3.jpg (142.83 KiB) Viewed 20701 times
Last edited by Hypersphere on 24 Aug 2013, 23:10, edited 2 times in total.

Muirium
µ

27 Jul 2013, 23:25

Nicely laid out little review of a nicely laid out little keyboard.

I've a few questions.
  • What's so strange about the space bar? It looks 6.25 units in your picture (the most common size of all) but 6.0 unit space bars are also quite common. Is the profile an issue?
  • If I were buying a Leopold, I'd be choosing between this and the similarly laid out Topre model, too. The price difference is certainly noticeable, but I think I'd go for it. The thought of "a Topre for less than a hundred dollars", although illogical, would just nag me! Indeed, if that Leopold were only as fairly priced over here. More about your decision between the Leopolds would be good.
  • Also comparison with the SSK. A gold standard we can agree on.
Anyway, your roundup was a nice read compared to most. And the lack of a gallery of increasingly fetishistic pictures and reams of commentary on almost invisible details is probably a good sign for your sanity!

Hypersphere

28 Jul 2013, 00:51

Muirium: The spacebar is indeed 6.25x, but the spacing of the stems is non-standard. There is a very nice review of the FC660M by eyesmiles on GH: [url]http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=44310/url]

In the review, he shows pics of a number of spacebars, some of which are close to that of the FC660M, but none of them a match. To replace the spacebar, one would have to harvest stems and epoxy them into place.

Regarding the Topre (FC660C) vs Cherry model (FC660M), apart from the layout, they seem to be different boards, with different switches and manufactured in different countries (China and Korea, respectively). I have the Topre model on backorder, and so I have not tried it yet. I hope it will arrive soon, and when it does, I will post my impressions. The FC660C will be my first experience with Topre switches.

I like the compact elegance of the FC660M, but it is an expensive proposition to replace the keycaps to my liking, and typing on Leopold lacks the degree of precision and confidence that I enjoy with the IBM SSK.

Thanks for the kind words; I have a feeling we would get along!

JaccoW

09 Oct 2013, 16:31

rjrich wrote:Muirium: The spacebar is indeed 6.25x, but the spacing of the stems is non-standard. There is a very nice review of the FC660M by eyesmiles on GH: http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=44310

In the review, he shows pics of a number of spacebars, some of which are close to that of the FC660M, but none of them a match. To replace the spacebar, one would have to harvest stems and epoxy them into place.
Maybe... but the spacebar is the same as the one used by Keycool. So you could either get a replacement from that brand or do what I will be trying, order a spacebar stabilizer from WASD. My problem was that the current one is too wide so it would simply pop out.

When it arrives I will try to see if it fits and solve this problem.

Hypersphere

09 Oct 2013, 22:23

JaccoW wrote:
rjrich wrote:Muirium: The spacebar is indeed 6.25x, but the spacing of the stems is non-standard. There is a very nice review of the FC660M by eyesmiles on GH: http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=44310

Maybe... but the spacebar is the same as the one used by Keycool. So you could either get a replacement from that brand or do what I will be trying, order a spacebar stabilizer from WASD. My problem was that the current one is too wide so it would simply pop out.

When it arrives I will try to see if it fits and solve this problem.
Yes, I got replacement spacebars by ordering from Qtan on GH and by getting a KC84 blank keycap set from Banggood -- the entire keycap set was only about 17 USD shipped, but keep in mind that their shipping is slow, taking about a month to ship to the US. My understanding is that KC is a new company that split off from Leopold-China, taking Leopold designs with them, which is why the KC spacebars fit Leopold keyboards.

I am not sure how a Costar-type stabilizer spring would help, because the spacebar on the FC660M uses a Cherry/Leopold stabilizer. However, please let us know if you manage to make this work for you.

Hypersphere

09 Oct 2013, 22:39

Update -- since posting this review of the FC660M, I acquired the Topre-switch model, the FC660C, and posted a review that does a comparison between the FC660M and FC660C:

http://deskthority.net/news-reviews-f4/ ... t6443.html

I much preferred the Topre-switch model over the Cherry mx-switch model. This prompted me to try another Topre-switch keyboard, the HHKB Pro 2, which is now my favorite:

http://deskthority.net/news-reviews-f4/ ... t6553.html

JaccoW

15 Oct 2013, 15:34

Do you have shots of the pcb? I was wondering if there is room for LED's on this board. More specifically on the INS and DEL keys.

Hypersphere

15 Oct 2013, 20:50

JaccoW wrote:Do you have shots of the pcb? I was wondering if there is room for LED's on this board. More specifically on the INS and DEL keys.
No, I do not have shots of the PCBs for the Leopold FC660M, FC660C, or HHKB Pro 2.

However, the FC660M and FC660C already have an LED on the Insert key.

JaccoW

16 Oct 2013, 00:39

Thanks.

I finally got the stabilizers from WASD. On my Keycool are Costar stabilizers, but the original one was almost 1 cm smaller than the other one. A quick replacement allowed me to use the standard width and pretty much every spacebar. I'll post some pictures tomorrow.

Muirium
µ

16 Oct 2013, 00:45

Some good news for the strange-stabbed Leopold. I wonder if the Topre version is a similar situation.

Hypersphere

17 Oct 2013, 18:32

Are you talking about swapping spacebars on the KC84 or on the Leopold FC660M?

TuxKey

16 Jan 2016, 11:39

Awsome review Thanks HyperSphere,

Almost a year ago i got the Leopold FC660M with printing that looks like its Laser Foamed on PBT key-caps.
The one i got had light grey key-caps with even lighter white printing on it.
And it was pad printed and not dysub as promised.
The sellers name was Qtang well known and active on keyboard sites like Geekhack and so forth.
So after i placed my order i realised that the key-caps were awful, in a panic i ordered a second key-cap set that was a bit better..But the total cost went way up...

Here a summary with $ prices and € prices at that time;

- Keycaps $50 €38,51
- Leopold FC6600 27-07-2014 $154 €118,34
- Customs and DHL Bulshit €47,59

- Totaal €204 That's well over $240

As i was a newbie when it came to keyboards i knew nothing about printing on key-caps and so forth..That's why i feel like Qtang pulled a quick one on me ...And way way overcharged me.

Perhaps i can sell the first keycap set i got..And recuperate some of the obscene cost ..
I do enjoy my Leopold FC660C with Mx-clears adding sum o-rings feels real good..
So that's good news i guess..

Also i just ordered my first Topre board from ebay.. FC660C can't wait to get my hands on it..
And of course i got myself a set of your awesome Topre-Rings.. Great job on those..Thank you for that..
I joined the awesome gb organised by Muirium. great guy..

I don't think i would be selling of my FC660M i much rather sell my KUL ES-87 with MX-clears that i never used oeps ;-)
Also paid around $200 to get that one overhere ..Living in the EU and being a keyboard fanatic doesn't come cheap..
Perhaps i can sell it for around €130 i already placed it on reddit marketplace..

It's not that i don't like the KUL but i much rather get the WhiteFox or the K-type much more expensive but why not..

Take care..Keep up the awesome work..

Return to “Reviews”