WASD v2 87-key with Cherry Greens (IBM diehard perspective)

acfrazier
Mad Scientist

30 Apr 2014, 06:35

I'm back with another review of WASD's v2 87-key keyboard. This time, their 87-key v2 with Cherry Greens. I've had the keyboard for almost two weeks now and have switched to using it as my daily driver from my Unicomp SpaceSaver.

Intro

Quite a lot has changed from WASD's “v1” keyboard that I reviewed almost two years ago. For one, they no longer use the highly annoying blue LEDs for their lock indicators. A subtle red is now used instead, which is much more pleasing to the eye. Also, the build quality seems to have improved markedly. The case has little to no flex unlike in the past model, the plastic has a much better feel to it, and it has sturdier keyboard legs.

Features

I've been primarily using the keyboard under Arch Linux, so I haven't really had an opportunity to test the DIP switch features or FN media keys. I can confirm that they all work and send proper scancodes (I've been running this keyboard with the included PS/2 passive adapter). As in the past, the customizability of this keyboard is unparalled with any other Cherry ODM. This keyboard is very vanilla, but I did get it with the 40 A-L o-rings installed like I did with their full size keyboard with Cherry Blues. N-Key rollover also performs wonderfully over PS/2. The cable is now detachable, however, gone is the (really nice) braided cable from the v1. That's a feature I'll miss. The routing channel for the cable appears to put an excessive amount of strain on the connector. How that'll affect the longevity of it remains to be seen.

Also included with the keyboard was a key-puller, and as previously mentioned the passive PS/2 adapter.

Packaging

The keyboard came double boxed, in a black WASD box like last time with a standard brown keyboard-sized outer box. Nothing really exceptional, it did the job well. My only major gripe was with the styrofoam packing peanuts used within. They are the bane of my existance and when I opened they exploded everywhere. I realize other packing options such as bubble wrap and those filled air bags are expensive, because I ship things quite often myself.

Company

WASD Keyboards as a company has also improved over the past two years. Communication time was significantly improved. UPS still was slow as crap, but that's no fault of theirs. Weyman Kwong was no less than professional yet again.

Summary

Overall, I would definitely consider this keyboard as a serious contender if you're looking for a Model M alternative with an abundance of replacement keycaps (because let's be honest here, there's nothing out there for Model M users) and a low profile, with the portability that would be absolutely required for air travel. I've flown with my model M before (and actually the WASD v1 review unit as well) and if you need something for on the go use this is definitely something to seriously consider. I greatly look forward to the v3 if one comes out in the future and I'll probably be in touch with Weyman yet again to write a review for all of the fine members of Deskthority here.

Elrick

01 May 2014, 03:24

You have the same the keyboard as I and it's been a wonderful change from using Blues and Reds.

I can now understand why there are people who've become almost fanatical about using GreenMX switches :).

shawndumas

01 May 2014, 04:41

greens are my all time favorites.

Elrick

01 May 2014, 05:16

shawndumas wrote:greens are my all time favorites.
I'm just wondering if any current manufacturer has the BALLS to make a heavy-duty keyboard using nothing but all GREY MX switches?

I think an all grey switch keyboard, would be truly unique on this planet :D .

Muirium
µ

01 May 2014, 13:30

Greens are the closest MX gets to buckling spring. So naturally I like them!

Greys though… maybe a linear one for the spacebar, but if you ever wanted an RSI simulator, a 100% grey keyboard would be the way to go. Or super black!

maxrunner

07 Jul 2014, 17:42

So greens are clicky but the greys are linear?

Muirium
µ

07 Jul 2014, 19:15

MX Green is indeed clicky. It's a heavy version of the common clicky MX blue.

There are actually two kinds of MX Grey, though. Linear Grey, and Tactile Grey. The reason they are (almost) the same colour? My guess is that someone at Cherry is either colour blind, or a sadist.

Daniel Beardsmore

08 Jul 2014, 01:08

Technically it's worse than that. There are three virtually identical greys (linear, click, tactile, and more than one shade of grey for linear grey) plus Cherry re-used white and clear. Allegedly all the switches where white (clear?) originally in 1983, and that's not counting the Hirose switches.

And people make fun of Alps for abusing colours ;-)

Muirium
µ

08 Jul 2014, 02:50

I can forgive them past idiosyncrasies, but the problem with MX grey is that it's still in production. Both of it!

Return to “Reviews”